Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Play Alien Swarm in first person: guide and video

Go here......

Alien Swarm in First Person - guide and video | N4G

Lol... Your right I saw this article and knew people on here play the game... So I thought you guys rather play the game in first person rather then 3rd person...

I tried it out and it is easier for me... Yet im playing on a laptop and I still get moments of lag... That just me tho... Plus I have a touch pad and not a mouse so it a little harder to aim for me... I need a mouse.. I should look for one in my house but I'm kinda lazy....
    Last edited by DirtyDMan; 07-22-2010 at 06:21 AM.

come on dirty u can do a bit better than that, whats ur take on it? im sure something caught ur eye and thats why u posted it

Interesting. But I think the bird's eye view is what makes the game a bit more unique, otherwise it would become like any other FPS. But I gotta try this out later on and see.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

I don't think I would like it in First Person.

I like the over the top view actually.

I think the first person view will become more popular in the hardcore following. I think it makes avoiding friendly fire and covering your fire lanes a little easier, and Im not sure but I think you can fire over a crouching marine, (they can take a knee) and the first person view will make this easier to coordinate.

Some disadvantages to this might include less situational awareness, including when creatures drop in front of your screen to indicate coming from above like in the elevator ride.

But honestly, Im shocked that people figured this out so fast. lol, its usually the hardcore that dig this up and use it secretly for a time before its well known... my brother just laughed at me for implying I wasnt hardcore when it comes to gaming....
    "Prediction: Zenimax Online is making an MMO set in the elder scrolls universe" -BobTD 8-25-2010 (search it on the forum)

Quote Originally Posted by BobTD View Post
    I think it makes avoiding friendly fire and covering your fire lanes a little easier
    holy crap yes... this is what I was thinking the whole time I watched the video.

Some disadvantages to this might include less situational awareness, including when creatures drop in front of your screen to indicate coming from above like in the elevator ride.
    That's the other thought I had... but when I thought of the elevator ride I thought it would work great because you can aim up the ceiling and take them out before they land with you.

Dodging and moving in general would be a whole lot harder in first person... when a bunch of projectiles are moving around the screen there's no way you could avoid them as well in 1st person as you could in 3rd person. Strafing is also hella easier in third person... plant that mouse on a target and just plow right along down the path while your marine expertly keeps his/her target right in the center of their view...

Basically the more I think about it it comes down to 1st person = sharp shooting and 3rd person = situational awareness and sharp moving.

Quote Originally Posted by LiNuX View Post
    Interesting. But I think the bird's eye view is what makes the game a bit more unique, otherwise it would become like any other FPS. But I gotta try this out later on and see.
    The top down view is kind of what makes this game unique, so it feels kinda like bastardizing their beautiful concept for making a unique and different game by changing to first person. But I know I wanna try it too ;D I'll probably flip freely between the two for a constantly refreshing perspective XD or maybe you could strategically use different views for different parts of the levels o.o
    Read the forum rules! Talk to us in the IRC! Tell us why you joined!
    ديليجيز
    J+A <3

Wonder if it works

I tried it out - the game is definitely not intended for it, but it works! I found it incredibly difficult to play - not having the awareness of your surroundings and having the ability to move fluidly/strafe fire easily taken away made the game HELLA difficult!

Not to mention little interesting bugs - like you have to aim with your laser cause the targeting reticle/cursor is a little higher than where you actually shoot XD Also, none of the levels have ceilings. The environments look pretttttyyyyy strange from first person XD

Not to mention the top down view is what defines this game and gives it it's character... as has been mentioned in this thread already. It's a fun little thing to play around with nice that the devs left little test features like that open in the final release version. I'm sure there are tons of other tweaks you can do to the game.
    ديليجيز
    J+A <3

Quote Originally Posted by Diligence109 View Post
    That's the other thought I had... but when I thought of the elevator ride I thought it would work great because you can aim up the ceiling and take them out before they land with you.
    With Auto aim you can kill all the creatures on the wall coming towards you as targeting them gets your character to aim up or down. Granted you have to be standing next to the railing so he can see down.
    "Prediction: Zenimax Online is making an MMO set in the elder scrolls universe" -BobTD 8-25-2010 (search it on the forum)

With Auto aim you can kill all the creatures on the wall coming towards you as targeting them gets your character to aim up or down. Granted you have to be standing next to the railing so he can see down.
    There is now no reason for first person in this game ever XD

Has anyone else tried it out? I'm waiting for someone to appear with the opposite opinion that they love playing in First Person...

Also, why haven't we played Alien Swarm together yet, bob? You, me, damage - this needs to happen. Hit me up on IRC/AIM/MSN/PM/something that isn't this thread XD
    ديليجيز
    J+A <3

Thread Information