PDA

View Full Version : vBulletin 3.8.0 Released

LiNuX
01-09-2009, 11:54 AM
Yesterday vBulletin announced the latest stable release of 3.8.0. Since the stable version is only a day old, Gamers Forum will not be upgraded for a little while. All new versions still have a chance to be buggy and once that is all cleared up, GF will be upgraded.

vB 3.8.0 has these followed features on top of what 3.7 already has:

Social group discussions
Social group categories
Private message sorting and filtering
Private message history
Quick edit for newer types of content (visitor messages and picture comments)
Social group icons
Social group transfers
Private message quick reply
Private message throttling (limit messages sent over a time period)
Private message reporting
Profile privacy (limit blocks to a subset of users)
Lightbox navigation
Thread prefix permissions
Dismissible notices

Since classes are opening up for me soon, I will not be able to upgrade in January. If 3.8 proves itself to be very stable and very good, the upgrade process for GF will most likely take place in early February.

~LiNuX

Trunks
01-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Doesn't sound like anything that's needed right away anyway. Still nice to have an update every once in awhile.

LiNuX
01-09-2009, 03:48 PM
im just liking the PM sorting and filtering, I get a ton from people all the time, would be good to see what the sorting is like then I can just sort staff pms, to unnecessary ones, to regular member help, etc...

but I can do without it for now

rukisuto
01-11-2009, 06:17 PM
The sorting is pretty cool, so is the PM quick reply.
Well, can't wait to see the little updates we get later C:

LiNuX
01-11-2009, 06:20 PM
yea, so far so good with 3.8, not many huge bugs like 3.7 had with all the security holes that forced them to bring out one patch after another

I'm not a fan of upgrading because I have to re-customize all the themes again lol - although I haven't checked how many template changes are needed for 3.8 - hope its not a lot since the feature count is far less than what 3.7 had

rukisuto
01-11-2009, 06:22 PM
yea, so far so good with 3.8, not many huge bugs like 3.7 had with all the security holes that forced them to bring out one patch after another

I'm not a fan of upgrading because I have to re-customize all the themes again lol - although I haven't checked how many template changes are needed for 3.8 - hope its not a lot since the feature count is far less than what 3.7 had

They come out with upgrades so often too, lol.
Well, at least it's nothing major so you don't HAVE to upgrade now.
Especially since you're trying to fix Juna Web, lol.

LiNuX
01-11-2009, 06:28 PM
They come out with upgrades so often too, lol.
Well, at least it's nothing major so you don't HAVE to upgrade now.
Especially since you're trying to fix Juna Web, lol.

not really "fix" junaweb - we are just expanding our services, got a server in California that I am trying to setup, that's just giving me a headache

and yes, the update isn't major, not like 3.7 which gave you guys a different profile, commenting, albums, easier staff management, etc. so I am not overly worried about upgrading yet

and once i have the new junaweb server settled, I will have time to look more into vB 3.8 for the upgrade in the coming weeks, it'll probably cause a few hours downtime which I am not a fan of at all.

diablo
01-13-2009, 01:44 PM
3.8 doesnt seem to have a lot of necessary things for us right now so dont rush it linux, work slowly, its the best way to work :D

LiNuX
01-13-2009, 03:06 PM
3.8 doesnt seem to have a lot of necessary things for us right now so dont rush it linux, work slowly, its the best way to work :D

yes it is :) rushing things just makes it more likely for mistakes and more likely to make me cry cuz of those mistakes lol

jakncoke
01-14-2009, 12:07 AM
Doesn't look like anything special, they should just hold back these updates and have a mega update at 4.0

LiNuX
01-14-2009, 12:17 AM
Doesn't look like anything special, they should just hold back these updates and have a mega update at 4.0

they work up to 4.0 slowly as their own technology advances

3.7 was a huge leap since it socialized the forums a lot more. and 4.0 is still probably at least a year and a half to 2 years away, can't imagine what it'll have then