PDA

View Full Version : 21:9 aspect ratio

jakncoke
04-18-2009, 12:09 PM
Carousel : A Cinema 21:9 Production (http://www.cinema.philips.com/?ls=gb_en)

I can't wait for when this becomes the main aspect ratio

LiNuX
04-18-2009, 12:20 PM
that looks so sweet. at the rate of technology these days, I wouldn't be surprised if TVs start having that aspect ratio as a norm starting in 2010-2011.

my current tv can only go up to 16:9 i believe - will have to check later.

Kujo
04-18-2009, 03:43 PM
Ok... impressed... i think. I really dont notice a difference. yes yes yes.. the black bars of death...blah blah blah. The thing is, i have a widescreen TV and I still deal with black bars when I watch movies.... even those MADE for widescreen. So, i'm a little perplexed.

jakncoke
04-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Ya but they are still hard coded with 16:9 so it won't make a difference till 21:9 is the hard coded ratio[note: not an expert by any means just caught some basics from neogaf]

Exodyus
04-19-2009, 12:56 AM
Ok... impressed... i think. I really dont notice a difference. yes yes yes.. the black bars of death...blah blah blah. The thing is, i have a widescreen TV and I still deal with black bars when I watch movies.... even those MADE for widescreen. So, i'm a little perplexed.

If you mean the black bars or clips that are interjected into the middle of picture - I believe that's a cinema trick for the human eyes so that they can run a movie faster than X fps.

Your normal movie can only be run at something like 23-30 fps because if it's higher and into 60+ something about the psyche of the viewer changes and you can induce motion sickness, epilepsy, and even psychotic realism break downs - where people get to involved and feel like they're becoming or apart of the movie. It's a big visual / psychological deal, interestingly enough.

I'm running on a 16:10 aspect for a 22" widescreen with DIV connectors. I love it. <3 I can't imagine 21:9, but it looks awesome.