PDA

View Full Version : GM getting even smaller

jakncoke
04-29-2009, 01:18 PM
General Motors announced at press conference Tuesday evening the closure of the Saturn brand, and a de-emphasis on Pontiac. Saturn dealerships will be closed by 2011, and no new models will be introduced under the nameplate. Meanwhile, Pontiac will be phased out as a distinct division. Certain “niche” models will still cary the Pontiac name, but they will be sold at Chevrolet dealerships.
The announcement is part of GM’s viability plan being submitted to the U.S. Congress and President Obama today. The brand pullback comes in addition to the planned sale of Hummer, and the potential spin-off of Saab. GM notes Hummer might be shut down after March 31st if a buyer for the brand is not found.
In its 20-year history, the Saturn brand has never been profitable for GM. Most auto journalists would agree Saturn’s new models are vastly improved, but for reasons possibly related to a poor brand perception, sales have not improved proportionally.
Since most of Saturn’s new cars are rebadged Opels, it’s conceivable that GM could attempt to sell certain imported Opel models under the Chevrolet name, though that is purely speculation at this point.d

Don't care about those 3 brands, just crazy how things have played out in the past couple years

Exodyus
04-29-2009, 01:26 PM
General Motors announced at press conference Tuesday evening the closure of the Saturn brand, and a de-emphasis on Pontiac. Saturn dealerships will be closed by 2011, and no new models will be introduced under the nameplate. Meanwhile, Pontiac will be phased out as a distinct division. Certain “niche” models will still cary the Pontiac name, but they will be sold at Chevrolet dealerships.
The announcement is part of GM’s viability plan being submitted to the U.S. Congress and President Obama today. The brand pullback comes in addition to the planned sale of Hummer, and the potential spin-off of Saab. GM notes Hummer might be shut down after March 31st if a buyer for the brand is not found.
In its 20-year history, the Saturn brand has never been profitable for GM. Most auto journalists would agree Saturn’s new models are vastly improved, but for reasons possibly related to a poor brand perception, sales have not improved proportionally.
Since most of Saturn’s new cars are rebadged Opels, it’s conceivable that GM could attempt to sell certain imported Opel models under the Chevrolet name, though that is purely speculation at this point.d

Don't care about those 3 brands, just crazy how things have played out in the past couple years

God. We can only pray for the shut down of Hummer. -_- Only tools drive them anyways.

And good riddens to Saturn. Washed up pieces of junk plastic.

And as far as Pontiac being renamed under Chevy, that'd be pretty hot.

The G5, 6, and 8 have been really successful.

Not to mention a Chevy GTO - would be pretty damn sexy. Lol.

jakncoke
04-29-2009, 01:30 PM
In its 20-year history, the Saturn brand has never been profitable for GM.

Some would think that after 10 years of fail you wouldn't give another to the brand name :laugh:

Exodyus
04-29-2009, 01:47 PM
Some would think that after 10 years of fail you wouldn't give another to the brand name :laugh:

Haven't you seen the commercials?

They're SO FRIENDLY! WHY WOULDN'T YOU WANT TO OWN A SARDINE CAN?! D:

-- True Story:

It's late. Ten PM and the family is in the living room. The day prior was beautiful out, a typical midsummer day. No rain, no wind gusts - just nice, bake-your-ass sun. A great pool day.

So we're watching TV, winding down as a family for the night when there's this SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECHHH KAAAWAACRUNCH! Out in front of our house. A screeching, mangled tire sound reverberates from all the walls in our house and then a grinding hiss follows. Instantly, everyone is up and on the porch.

Dad's truck, a '94 Long Box, Extended Cab, 1500 Chevy was parked on the opposite side of the street from our house and there was debris and chucks of car everywhere, but the truck looked fine. In the law, to the left of my dad's truck, up in the grass was a white Saturn. Door open and a stupid blond standing outside of the door, pacing slowly - totally dazed.

She had come flying down our street, and hit the back of my dad's pick up and only scratched up the paint and took off the driver side mirror. The car was missing from the passenger front tire to the drivers side - front of the hood, all demolished and mangled.

She was drunk. Took her friends car. Without permission. And swore to God she saw a squirrel run out ... at TEN at night, in front of the car and swirved into a truck to miss it. Lolol.

Damage to dad's truck: New Mirror and side repainted - $1000 bucks. No real scratches or dents.

Damage to the saturn: Totaled. Engine busted. Engine mounts all busted. Front axel destroyed. Front tire, obliterated. Break assembly, everything. Demolished.

--- Another Quicker True Story

Some dumb blond pulled out in front of me, I drive a '05 Neon SXT. She pulls out in another WHITE SATURN and I swirve to miss her driver's door and hit the back end. I took the rear tire, snapped the axel, and shoved the tire into her trunk. TOTALED.

$2200 in damages, done to my car.

When I got out, I was furious. I stood up and she looked at me. I frowned at her, and she just started sobbing. I shook my head slowly and check out my car, then hers. No leaks.

The first thing I said to her... "It's. ****ing. Orange!" Kinda half yelled orange at her. Lolol.