PDA

View Full Version : Used Game Kiosks Come to Wal-Mart

Djdoubt03
05-19-2009, 01:11 AM
Buyback" stations have been placed in select Wal-Marts around the U.S. The retailer has leased space for these kiosks to E-play as part of a pilot program. These machines feature DVD movies and PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii games for rent, along with screening game discs users want to sell.

Customers use the kiosk by scanning the game's case to see the buyback price. If the price is acceptable, the customer inserts the disc into the machine and puts the case in the bin, with credit applied to the customer's credit care within two to three business days.

For his part, Wedbush Morgan Michael Pachter doesn't see these E-play kiosks taking off. "I can't see this having tremendous appeal to hardcore gamers, unless the credits are substantially higher than those offered at GameStop," he said. "Even if this takes off, it's not going to make much of a dent in the used market. ... I don't see it being a big deal."

This latest initiative follows Best Buy and Amazon.com's efforts to tap into the used game industry that GameStop currently owns the majority of.

Source (http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/used-game-kiosks-come-to-walmart/?biz=1)

Choke On Candy
05-19-2009, 09:37 AM
I always like to go to the $10-$20 wal-mart game bin. Find pretty good stuff there. Not sure I want to buy used games from wal-mart but you never know.

hidekipooj
05-19-2009, 01:11 PM
uh-oh....my job will soon be replaced by a machine............damn skynet

LemonRising
05-19-2009, 03:15 PM
Wat.

No seriously.
Wat.

jeanjax
05-23-2009, 12:57 PM
i really have never seen these, but my guess would be it would look something like a computer station

ambergris
06-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Don't wish to see anyone lose their job (damn Skynet) but that sounds cool and very convenient.

younging94
06-17-2009, 06:29 PM
LOL.
Wal-mart your penises.
They recently had an arguement that used games are bringing down profits.
But, yay wal-mart, i CAN BE CHEAP AGAIN

EpsilonX
06-20-2009, 01:03 PM
i hear all these good things about walmart carrying old ps1 games, or used games.

my walmart sucks =\

jakncoke
06-23-2009, 11:58 PM
Best Buy is also now getting into this.

US retailer Best Buy has entered the used games market and is trialling kiosks that allow users to swap old games for in-store credit.

The system is similar to that employed by Wal-Mart, and analysts believe that rather than take share from the second hand market, it is likely to help increase sales to as much as USD 3 billion annually.

"While we believe that Best Buy’s entry into the used video game market will create a new overhang on shares of GameStop, we expect Best Buy’s initiative to expand the used videogame market rather than take significant share from the speciality channel," wrote Colin Sebastian of Lazard Capital Markets.

"We estimate the size of the commercial used videogame market in the USD 2.5 billion range worldwide, continuing to grow, driven by major players including GameStop, Game Group, Game Crazy, and Internet marketplaces such as eBay and Amazon," added Sebastian.