PDA

View Full Version : Germany poised to ban all violent video games

EpsilonX
06-17-2009, 10:55 AM
Like gamers around the world, Germans love their shoot-'em-ups. Sure, video gaming isn't quite the industry in Germany that it is in the U.S. (or some other parts of Europe), but it's still an enormous market for the industry.

Those days are quite likely to come to a screeching halt in a matter of weeks, as Germany is well on its way to banning all "violent video games," defined (via translation) as games "where the main part is to realistically play the killing of people or other cruel or inhuman acts of violence against humans or manlike characters."

Hmmmm... sounds like just about every game I play.

The move isn't just one politician banging a shoe on the podium in outrage. All 16 German states have already agreed on the move and are set on implementing it -- and soon. The only real hurdle remaining is pushing the law through German parliament, and that could happen before the end of the summer.

The law would have even broader consequences for game companies based in Germany (including Crysis creator Crytek), as the law would outlaw not just the sale of violent video games but the development of them in Germany, too. These companies would either be forced out of business or compelled to outsource development to other countries, unable to publish their own titles on their home turf.

Why all the panic over video games? The usual stuff, really: Their potential link to violence, particularly among youths. Earlier this year a German teenager killed more than a dozen people while dressed in black camouflage, purportedly copying moves learned in the terrorism-focused Counter-Strike. Such links are extremely controversial, but Germany has been at the forefront of lambasting violent games for years as causing these incidents.

So if the law becomes a reality, what then? Could this be a first step in a broad move to censor violence in all forms: TV shows, movies, books? No reporting of violence in German newspapers and on television news? National Internet filters to keep violent content (and web games) out of the minds of German citizens?

Lots for Germans to think about while they're playing Wii Bowling and Cake Mania.

source: Germany poised to ban all violent video games : Christopher Null : Yahoo! Tech (http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/143914)

at least i'll still have my pokemon games. :D

Samus-Fan
06-17-2009, 11:08 AM
Wow.
Just wow.

I bet you there will be a Video Game Black Market in Germany, it isn't like they can keep watch on what everyone plays.
What if someone orders Halo from America?
Are they going to search the package and take him to jail for his VERY BAD crime of just having fun and playing Video Games?

I mean seriously.

LiNuX
06-17-2009, 12:07 PM
lol germans and their bans - first redbull and now this - and the guy I banned a 150 times last night was from germany too...

that'll hurt their economy more than they think because violence and sex are two of the most appealing objects of almost anything today.

EpsilonX
06-17-2009, 12:15 PM
lol germans and their bans - first redbull and now this - and the guy I banned a 150 times last night was from germany too...

that'll hurt their economy more than they think because violence and sex are two of the most appealing objects of almost anything today.

by human-like, does that mean the banning of games such as resident evil?

ambergris
06-17-2009, 12:18 PM
Wait, that nonsense is slowly creeping into the states too.

It's like the frog that gets slowly boiled to death. Little by little more and more of our freedoms are eroding and getting taken away.

LiNuX
06-17-2009, 12:28 PM
by human-like, does that mean the banning of games such as resident evil?

all violent video games - so i assume RS, L4D, Socom, CS, HL, Halo, etc. lol

younging94
06-17-2009, 06:32 PM
violence and sex are two of the most appealing objects of almost anything today.
especially at the same time

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3110/2706599624_c897df74ff.jpg?v=0

LordLameeks
06-17-2009, 08:26 PM
Haha...I like how this comin from germany... that sux 4 them

hidekipooj
06-18-2009, 02:55 AM
uh-oh. I can't imagine hundreds of thousands of angry-german kids not being able to play their Unreal Tournament.

Remember this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBVmfIUR1DA

jakncoke
06-18-2009, 03:05 AM
It's hard to imagine how much more strict they can get with video games, they and Australia are probably the strictest when it comes to video games.

LemonRising
06-18-2009, 11:02 AM
If anything, this may provoke more violence and anger into kids and teens.

I'd be pissed if the gov started censoring ****.

Plus you'll never get rid of ****ed up teens who rampage.
Not these days.

Maybe you could, but it's not by banning and censoring.
You gotta look real ****ing deep.
And this century isn't ready for that.

younging94
06-18-2009, 11:42 AM
http://www.benstoneonline.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/ffffuuu-large.pngHow Am I Ever Supposed To Express My Anger??!?!?!!?!!?!?!?!?!

Cervantes
06-18-2009, 11:58 AM
When are people going to realize that video game violence doesn't lead to kids losing there minds and shooting up place because "It was in the game i played and it was so cool, i decided to kill people zombies." I think that violent games are very necessary to people, especially younger kids. How are they going to get out all the frustration of there lives if they can't sit back and blow people's heads off safely at home without any real blood shed. It alleviates stress. We will always have those group of people that are so narrow minded that they want to force their views and beliefs down are throats. These people are pathetic and have nothing to do with their lives so they want everyone else to be as miserable as them.....sad really.

DOWN WITH THE VIDEO GAME HATERS, LONG LIVE GAMING!!!!!!!!!!!

EpsilonX
06-18-2009, 12:42 PM
what's that guys name that was always against violent video games, and everyone made fun of him.

jack something?

he's probably excited in the pants over this news

younging94
06-18-2009, 12:58 PM
Jack Thompson...
God i hate that dick.

jakncoke
06-18-2009, 12:59 PM
good thing he got de-barred.

twister
06-19-2009, 08:59 PM
Sex , Drugs & Video games !!

Trunks
06-20-2009, 05:32 PM
hmmm, good thing I don't live in Germany. and that's stupid how people think video games cause crimes. I mean, I'm sure it happens, but banning video games isn't going to cut down crime at all...

Iceskater101
06-20-2009, 10:34 PM
yeah and think jails in germany would be really overcrowded

puds
06-21-2009, 06:04 AM
I heard about this a while ago. I actually was shocked at first because Germany is a pretty big country in Europe and they must be one of the largest consumers of games in Europe. If it goes ahead and all violent video games are banned there will be an uprising or at least a black market for these games.

Just thought if this rubs off on other countries it could be the end of the violent game. What if developers start to change the way they make games? What if there is no more gore? No more chainsawing in Gears?

RaiDae
06-21-2009, 04:26 PM
O.O That vid of the german kid on UT.... if violent video games get banned, he's gonna immigrate.... I just realised the possibility of hundred or thousands of violece obsessed Germans coming to my city....

I'm completely against the banning of violent video games. There's enough mentality here without extra germans

EpsilonX
06-24-2009, 11:24 AM
O.O That vid of the german kid on UT.... if violent video games get banned, he's gonna immigrate.... I just realised the possibility of hundred or thousands of violece obsessed Germans coming to my city....

I'm completely against the banning of violent video games. There's enough mentality here without extra germans

you do know that kid was just goofing off right? like, he admitted and said he doesn't actually get mad like that and it was fake lol.

RaiDae
06-24-2009, 05:48 PM
O.O no i didin't... but now i do... he's a pretty good actor.