PDA

View Full Version : DirectX 9.0c graphic adapter

Iceskater101
08-06-2009, 03:59 PM
Yesterday, I was playing the sims 2
today I go to play it and it doesn't work. When i try to play it
something comes up saying

" Can't find DirectX 9.0c compatible graphic adapter"

I have no idea what that is so i searched microsoft for downloads. I supposidly downloaded Direct X 9.0 but it still comes up

How can i get the sims 2 to work?
and I am not interested in buying anything
so if there is anything free then thats fine

by the way the computer i use to play sims on is hp pavilion ze4600
its sort of outdated..

LiNuX
08-06-2009, 04:28 PM
do you know what kind of a graphics card you have? or do you still have the original card provided by HP?

Iceskater101
08-06-2009, 04:34 PM
yeah I still have the originial graphics card

LiNuX
08-06-2009, 05:30 PM
i checked up on the graphics card it uses, and it's pretty old - I don't know too much about radeon cards though but that's probably what's giving you the problem - the graphics card just can't function with directx 9.

you could try to update your graphics drivers and then see if it works but I doubt it will, but again, I'm not too familiar with ati (been with nvidia most of my life)

Iceskater101
08-06-2009, 06:24 PM
to fix the problem I am having should I try to upgrade my graphics card?

LiNuX
08-06-2009, 06:26 PM
yeah, that'll most likely fix the issue but I'm guessing that HP is a laptop and it's not easy replacing graphics cards on a laptop since most of them are custom fits.

Iceskater101
08-06-2009, 06:28 PM
yeah, that'll most likely fix the issue but I'm guessing that HP is a laptop and it's not easy replacing graphics cards on a laptop since most of them are custom fits.

yeah hp is a laptop
but it is weird because this problem came up today
it was working fine yesterday

LiNuX
08-06-2009, 07:06 PM
yeah hp is a laptop
but it is weird because this problem came up today
it was working fine yesterday

oh? then it could be a driver issue. does it not let you start the game at all? maybe you installed something recently that may have messed things up. you can try to do a system restore - it usually just uninstalls any new apps over the period of the restore. useful at times.

Iceskater101
08-06-2009, 08:57 PM
well what happens is I click on the sims 2 apartment life and then it takes maybe 5 minutes and then the message says " Can't find directx 9.0c compatible graphics adapter" then the sims 2 just quits out.
a system restore?
I might try that

LiNuX
08-06-2009, 09:10 PM
graphics adapter is your graphics card - it may just be giving up on life, how long have you had the laptop?

Iceskater101
08-06-2009, 10:27 PM
I have had the laptop for a really long time
its very old at least 10 years at the most
probably 6 at least

LiNuX
08-07-2009, 06:21 AM
then i won't be surprised if some of the hardware started to fail - its a sad thing but it's inevitable for old computers :(

Iceskater101
08-07-2009, 10:46 AM
ok thank you for trying to help
my computer was already failing anyways I can't get the internet on it anymore and i am not going to try and fix it because its so old

LiNuX
08-07-2009, 03:02 PM
ok thank you for trying to help
my computer was already failing anyways I can't get the internet on it anymore and i am not going to try and fix it because its so old

old computers aren't worth fixing because their parts cost a lot more since they aren't manufactured anymore -

good luck finding another way to play the game.