PDA

View Full Version : Evolution

RaiDae
09-17-2009, 03:33 PM
I recently discovered that some of my closest friends do not believe in evolution and it got me wondering who else doesn't. This thread is NOT to be used to make fun of other's views. We're all entitled to our own opinion.

I believe in evolution. There's enough evidence behind it and it seems the most realistic theory. I've studied evolution further than needed and the more i read, the more i understand how and why it happened. I could give evidence to support what i say, but i doubt anybody cares and it's too complicated to type without diagrams XD

So, everyone else

Ubernerd
09-17-2009, 03:39 PM
(This is coming from a non-religious bias)

I believe in evolution in the fact that it does exist regardless of your religious beliefs, yes.

As for humans evolving from apes, which I think was your real question, I can't say for sure. I believe we probably did, it would make sense, but I always leave open the small chance we were put here by some alien race or something, I don't know lol.

Now before I get flamed for this I don't actually believe extraterrestrials made humans; but, there is nothing wrong with studying alternate theories.

RaiDae
09-17-2009, 03:44 PM
As for humans evolving from apes, which I think was your real question, I can't say for sure. I believe we probably did, it would make sense, but I always leave open the small chance we were put here by some alien race or something, I don't know lol.

Actually that wasn't what i was specifically thinking of. :) I was thinking in general of the entire world having evolved from one thing (i can't remember what it is, though most likely a bacterium) and differentiating and evolving over billions of years. More specifically though, of if the prokyrotes joined together in some weird way to create the eukyrote (what with structures in the eukyrotes being similar in shape and form to an entire prokyrote)

LemonRising
09-17-2009, 04:03 PM
We're either monkeys or martians.

Exodyus
09-17-2009, 04:21 PM
Regardless of religion, another way to say Evolution without the hesitation and skepticism, is to simply call it Adaptation.

We adapt to things. Animals adapt to change. Climate, Human, and Environment.

Adaptation is irrefutable. Obvious. Fact.

So, if people say they don't believe in evolution, ask them if they've changed and adapted to new schools, new classes, different friends.

Then -- let them sulk in their own ignorance for a bit. Heh.

I can say this with firm birth in Christianity for years and years.

Jaykub
09-17-2009, 04:37 PM
if black people evolved from apes does this mean we evolved into white people

evolution is as stupid as that question. We all evolve but not from other things

RaiDae
09-17-2009, 04:46 PM

evolution is as stupid as that question. We all evolve but not from other things

Not quite understanding what you mean by that... You mean everything evolved from one thing. Or only humans evolved from one thing?

LemonRising
09-17-2009, 05:00 PM
Not quite understanding what you mean by that... You mean everything evolved from one thing. Or only humans evolved from one thing?

He's saying that we might've evolved but he doesn't believe that we came from animals or more specifically, apes.
Amirite?

LiNuX
09-17-2009, 06:43 PM
1. we didn't evolve from apes, we had a common ancestor - both species went into separate branches

2. Theory of Evolution is getting closer to becoming the Law of Evolution. Just like the Law of gravity, it used to be a theory.

3. I still know a few people that doesn't believe in evolution, but I don't bother explaining it to them, if they are around my age and they don't believe it, I doubt I'll be able to convince them in one go, so I don't try. I've debated evolution before on both sides in the past...I'm more of a science guy so I always had a hard time arguing from the religious point of view.

Kiss
09-17-2009, 07:10 PM
I believe in evolution.

Street_Soldier69
09-17-2009, 08:09 PM

yes, im not a monkey, i dont throw sheet at my friends, and eat bugs off their backs.

1. we didn't evolve from apes, we had a common ancestor - both species went into separate branches

2. Theory of Evolution is getting closer to becoming the Law of Evolution. Just like the Law of gravity, it used to be a theory.

3. I still know a few people that doesn't believe in evolution, but I don't bother explaining it to them, if they are around my age and they don't believe it, I doubt I'll be able to convince them in one go, so I don't try.
i totally agree with your statement LiNuX.
looks like im the only one that doesnt believe in evolution, on the poll.

Jaykub
09-17-2009, 10:48 PM
yes, im not a monkey, i dont throw sheet at my friends, and eat bugs off their backs.

i totally agree with your statement LiNuX.
looks like im the only one that doesnt believe in evolution, on the poll.

You forgot me...

Street_Soldier69
09-17-2009, 10:50 PM
You forgot me...

on the poll, theres only 1 "no". and that was me.

Jaykub
09-17-2009, 11:27 PM
on the poll, theres only 1 "no". and that was me.

I voted for i don't care...

Street_Soldier69
09-17-2009, 11:29 PM
I voted for i don't care...

ok, ya i just noticed that..

Exodyus
09-18-2009, 12:43 PM
I believe in evolution.

I believe in a Thing Called Love.

lolol. Just listen to the rhythm of my heart... Lolol.

It pretty much goes without saying that people who "say" they don't believe in adaptation, are just denying and delaying the inevitable truth. Life - Changes.
End of Discussion. ;/

PS - I know a few people who I think ... might have evolved from a gorilla ... srs biznes. Lolol.

HamadaLFC8
09-30-2009, 06:02 AM
No I don't believe it in.

Street_Soldier69
09-30-2009, 07:22 AM
No I don't believe it in.

Me & you said NO. mostly everyone else said YES

HamadaLFC8
09-30-2009, 10:24 AM
I believe it in... wow I'm never gonna pass my SAT like this :'( haha

Street Soldier you know why? Cuz we're the sh*t ;)

Samus-Fan
09-30-2009, 08:45 PM
I believe in Evolution, because the science behind it is so strong to prove it.
From Apes? I dunno. I think Apes turned into that human that starts with an m, and then we evolved from that, but only because the bone structures are so alike.

Honestly, I don't really care. I'm here, why does it matter what I came from? Will that ever help me in my life other than Jeopardy?
I think we did evolve, but I could care less from what. It doesn't affect me.

LiNuX
09-30-2009, 09:22 PM
I believe in Evolution, because the science behind it is so strong to prove it.
From Apes? I dunno. I think Apes turned into that human that starts with an m, and then we evolved from that, but only because the bone structures are so alike.

not from apes, from a common ancestor - don't know why so many people think we came from apes. We broke off into different branches at some part of evolution. Common misconception, but I don't mind pointing it out since I used to think this as well years back.

Trunks
10-01-2009, 11:07 AM
Evolution is basically proven. Normally the people who don't believe in it, don't know how much evidence it's based on or they're just really religious.

LiNuX
10-01-2009, 05:50 PM
Evolution is basically proven. Normally the people who don't believe in it, don't know how much evidence it's based on or they're just really religious.

I know really religious people that believe in evolution

it's more like being stubborn. Some people can't handle believing something that contradicts the teachings of religion. Millions of people still think the earth was created in 7 days and that the universe is just a few thousand years old even though carbon and radioactive dating on our own planet shows it to be a few billion years old.

And about the 7 days thing, what is 7 days to god if god is beyond time? No one can explain that and sound like they know what they are talking about.

I'm not an atheist or anything but the science part just overwhelms the religious part of my life.

Trunks
10-01-2009, 09:45 PM
I still believe that there is something, but I think evolution is more of how everything happened, but not really the why part. ( didn't we have a thread about this before lol? )

The Big Bang Theory is what I question. I mean I understand that all the atoms fused or whatever they did lol. But how did that little point get there, like before it exploded? It had to get there some way, something had to make it happen.

LiNuX
10-01-2009, 09:57 PM
that's what scientists are trying to figure out - so far Stephen Hawking has the closest theory that makes sense - he stated that the universe started from the explosion of a singularity, a slight weakness in gravity allowed for the singularity to explode and expand letting everything out

but we really have no way to prove it - the LHC is supposed to give us some answers and hopefully they come up with something.

Another theory is the membrane theory - two universes touched which was a big enough impact to create a big bang - this one makes less sense than Hawking's. But only time will tell, just like with evolution - evolution is fairly new compared to the rest of human history, and I'm sure one day, the theory of everything will turn into a "law" and it will be accepted everywhere just like evolution.

hidekipooj
10-02-2009, 03:18 PM
I'm going to go ahead and just leave these here:

FOUND: New Fossil Links Humans, Lemurs? (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/05/090519-missing-link-found.html)

Oldest human skeleton offers new clues to evolution - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/science/10/01/oldest.human.skeleton/index.html)

RaiDae
10-04-2009, 10:34 AM
that's what scientists are trying to figure out - so far Stephen Hawking has the closest theory that makes sense - he stated that the universe started from the explosion of a singularity, a slight weakness in gravity allowed for the singularity to explode and expand letting everything out

That confuses me no end. If there's a gravitational field, there must be some type of mass in the centre. Then again, I'm looking from the prospective of a high school student, not the arguably best physicist in the world.

In my opinion, Evolution is the best plausible theory. It's possible that somebody else might come up with an even more convincing theory (though i doubt it).
When people start ranting at how it was God who created us, I always ask "who created God?". That normally shuts them up. But we know it was chemical, biological and enviromental reactions that made evolution occur.

Diddle-chan
11-29-2009, 06:09 PM
One word. Extraterrestrials.

My science teachers don't like me very much because of that.

LiNuX
11-29-2009, 07:43 PM
One word. Extraterrestrials.

My science teachers don't like me very much because of that.

Because you're an extraterrestrial? or because you think they exist?

suesam21
12-02-2009, 01:42 AM
Evolution has proofs. but creationism requires faith. so i go with evolution. i don't believe in any intelligent design theories and religious preaching for it.

LemonRising
12-09-2009, 10:43 PM
We might be martians.

Seriously.
It was a documentary that I watched a year ago so I don't remember what it's called though.
But it was cool.
And ironic.