PDA

View Full Version : MAG public beta

Frank-the-Rabbit
12-30-2009, 02:15 AM
MAG has a free DL of the public beta that starts on 1/4/10. I went ahead and downloaded it. Anyone else gonna try this one in the beta before they buy it?

For those of you that don't know MAG is the new FPS for PS3 that will have battles of up to 256 players.

Exodyus
12-30-2009, 03:13 AM
It looked interesting and I'd thought about giving it a whirl, but most servers cannot handle lag on a simple 30-60 player map, so I'm skeptical to see how they'll hold up running over 200 people in one measly server.

Frank-the-Rabbit
01-05-2010, 11:50 PM
The public beta has started and I have been having a blast! I am really enjoying this game right now. I usually don't play much online FSP games and don't usually like them much but MAG is the exception. The cool thing about this game is you get really rewarded for working as a team. A good squad of 8 can turn the tides in battle.

So besides the fact that the battles in MAG can be huge the game has tons to offer in squad based combat. I was worried about how well you could get the 128 players on your side of the 256 to work together and complete the goals but they have done a very good job with infrastructure to make it all work. The most experienced players get the leadership roles and lead their team to victory. Each squad of 8 has a leader and 4 squads have a platoon leader and so on. The couple of Domination (256 player) games I played we all worked very well as a team and it paid off.

The part of the game I like the most is that you don't have to be an amazing FPS player to play and contribute to your team. There are different roles from snipers to medics to engineers or assault and you pick and choose where you specialize as you go along. I play as a medic and keep my squad's health up or resuscitate them if they fall. Don't get me wrong you still shoot as these specializations but your main focus is to help your team in other ways. I am loving this as I let those players better at the run and gun style do their thing while I keep them alive to fight some more.

There has been no lag in game for me as of yet even in the 256 player battles and for a beta the game is very polished. The servers have been down some for them to fix some of the bugs they are getting with so many people trying to log on at once but once in a game there has been zero lag for me.

BTW: I play as Raven and have made a clan if any of you want to join. Edit: I take this back I switched to SVER today.

Diligence109
01-06-2010, 11:34 AM
dang, sounds awesome. :eek1: Kinda makes me wish I had a PS3 ;(