PDA

View Full Version : Youtube question

thedeparted
01-04-2010, 01:34 AM
How long has it been since youtube stopped tracking how many vids you watched?

HamadaLFC8
01-04-2010, 06:23 AM
Weird question... I never really tracked that, I just watch them

LiNuX
01-04-2010, 06:32 AM
they stopped tracking it? I just logged on and noticed. I had a few thousand the last time I checked. But I never really paid attention, 3/4 visits to youtube from me were while logged off.

thedeparted
01-04-2010, 09:54 PM
I never really personally tracked them but was kinda interesting to see people with like 50k+ watched vids. I had like 13k before I stopped using the internet from mid aug to just around when I joined this forum

Trunks
01-05-2010, 12:52 PM
I noticed that too, I checked around a month ago and couldn't find it so I just gave up on it. No clue why they did it, I use to check it a lot.

Yuuki
01-05-2010, 05:37 PM
I never noticed until I saw this thread. o.O
That sucks, I liked to check every now and then. xD

jango
01-06-2010, 02:19 AM
Is there any explanation why?

thedeparted
01-06-2010, 03:35 AM
After a little searching I came away with a answer. a answer that floored me but one none the less.

Hi everyone,

We've seen some of you asking what occurred to the number of video views displayed on your channel. Unfortunately, due to technical constraints, we had to permanently disable this feature. This is not a bug, it is no longer an available feature on the site.

The view-count will still appear next to your uploads and all other videos on the site. Just the number of videos you've viewed on the site will no longer appear on your channel

Hope that this info's useful, and thanks for asking us about this situation!

How retarded is that? wow. they should work this out asap, perhaps this is an cause and effect of them being in the red. perhaps it was taking up too much resources for it to be a viable option. Perhaps more cost cutting measures are on the way. Hopefully if they do something next it won't be a cool feature. Because although it's fun to see how much you and other people viewed, it's really trivial and not needed except for the e-peens crowd.

LiNuX
01-06-2010, 10:00 AM
I know it works on a database, the DB is probably getting too big for their servers to handle? Every view uses up space and they may not have the money for that space on each server. But it's just a theory, not sure how much space/resources it used to use.