PDA

View Full Version : Social gaming

Yasdnil
03-01-2010, 04:52 AM
I am a female gamer researching the positive experiences and effects of playing video games. I am particularly interested in looking at the social experiences of gaming and the links with mood.

If you wish to help me with my research, you can do so by selecting the web-link below which will direct you to my online questionnaire. Alternatively, if you know any keen gamers (18 years or older), please feel free to forward the link onto them.
Your help is greatly appreciated.

http://www.surveygizmo.com/s/228108/-social-flow-in-gaming-and-affective-outcomes

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments about my reasearch.
Thank-you.
Kind regards,
Linda

jango
03-01-2010, 05:20 AM
i completed the survey .. hope it helps :)

Yasdnil
03-01-2010, 06:06 AM
i completed the survey .. hope it helps :)

Thank-you Jango; your help is greatly appreciated. :-)

HamadaLFC8
03-01-2010, 06:52 AM
Done!
Hope it helped
but its really long and some questions just repeat itself, they are just in different words :S

Yasdnil
03-01-2010, 07:43 AM
Done!
Hope it helped
but its really long and some questions just repeat itself, they are just in different words :S

Thank-you HamadaLFC8
Some of the questions are similar. They are like this because if you are wanting to measure someone's response, it is better to ask it more than once, as it makes the results more reliable.
Thank-you for your persistence.
Yasdnil

Frank-the-Rabbit
03-01-2010, 11:20 AM
Filled it out for you. I was going to make the same comment Hamada did but it makes sense.

Diligence109
03-01-2010, 11:24 AM
While I guess I understand that you know better than I (being a grad student in your field) the repetitive questions made me feel like the survey could have been better constructed to maybe be just 30 questions on one page... BUT, I did make it through the whole thing and hope it helps!

Good luck with your research, I hope you've found other social networks/forums that have gotten you as many/more hits than this one!

Subb
03-01-2010, 11:57 AM
yasdnil just completed your survery. Im glad to be apart of you research. cheers

Yasdnil
03-01-2010, 12:10 PM
yasdnil just completed your survery. Im glad to be apart of you research. cheers

Thank-you subdubroc; I really appreciate your help. :-)

Yasdnil
03-01-2010, 12:12 PM
While I guess I understand that you know better than I (being a grad student in your field) the repetitive questions made me feel like the survey could have been better constructed to maybe be just 30 questions on one page... BUT, I did make it through the whole thing and hope it helps!

Good luck with your research, I hope you've found other social networks/forums that have gotten you as many/more hits than this one!

Thank-you Diligence; your help is greatly appreciated.

Your comment about the repetitiveness of the questions is one which numerous people have mentioned. Basically it is better to ask a question on one thing mroe than once because it makes the responses more erliable. That's why there seemsed to be loads of similar questions!

Thanks for your perserverance. :-)

Yasdnil
03-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Filled it out for you. I was going to make the same comment Hamada did but it makes sense.

Many thanks Frank-the-rabbit; you're great!

Subb
03-01-2010, 12:22 PM
Thank-you subdubroc; I really appreciate your help. :-)

anytime the survey help me realize how much i truly love to game. are you a gamer yourself?

BobTD
03-01-2010, 04:44 PM
I am a female gamer researching the positive experiences and effects of playing video games. I am particularly interested in looking at the social experiences of gaming and the links with mood.

If you wish to help me with my research, you can do so by selecting the web-link below which will direct you to my online questionnaire. Alternatively, if you know any keen gamers (18 years or older), please feel free to forward the link onto them.
Your help is greatly appreciated.

http://www.surveygizmo.com/s/228108/-social-flow-in-gaming-and-affective-outcomes

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments about my reasearch.
Thank-you.
Kind regards,
Linda

The survey would be more accurate if you specified what exactly you consider "Shoot em up" and "beat em up", not many people are familiar with the terms.

Shoot em up - a sub genre of shooter video games (along with having a silly name) mostly your arcade style 2d games

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/8387/shootem.jpg

And very rarely side scrolling shooters like Gunstar Heroes are classified under the term. (Gunstar Heroes is also called a "Run and Gun", an even more specific example of a shoot em up style game)

Another concern I had is that its important when people taking the survey provide a game and genre, that you figure out how ling they have been playing said game. New RTS experiences often require quite a bit of getting used to and may not provide the same "Sense of control".

Actually, that entire bit with asking the same questions with different phrasing is where I started to doubt why I was bothering.

I'm sorry to say but wording is very important to some people. I fully understand that I did not design the test and I cant be sure why you structured it that way, but I sure hope its not a control factor of any sort. How do you intend to interpret variations in answers? What could be to one personal essentially the same question, Could seem entirely unrelated to another.

People who are more literal will have answers all over the board when you ask them if they felt like "time stopped" rather then "did time pass more quickly do to your enjoyment".

Yasdnil
03-02-2010, 02:47 AM
anytime the survey help me realize how much i truly love to game. are you a gamer yourself?

I'm glad you found it OK. I play some games but I wouldn't say I was a very experienced gamer. I am reasonably good at the Halo series and some racing games but I find strategy-type games really tricky!

Yasdnil
03-02-2010, 03:00 AM
The survey would be more accurate if you specified what exactly you consider "Shoot em up" and "beat em up", not many people are familiar with the terms.

Shoot em up - a sub genre of shooter video games (along with having a silly name) mostly your arcade style 2d games

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/8387/shootem.jpg

And very rarely side scrolling shooters like Gunstar Heroes are classified under the term. (Gunstar Heroes is also called a "Run and Gun", an even more specific example of a shoot em up style game)

Another concern I had is that its important when people taking the survey provide a game and genre, that you figure out how ling they have been playing said game. New RTS experiences often require quite a bit of getting used to and may not provide the same "Sense of control".

Actually, that entire bit with asking the same questions with different phrasing is where I started to doubt why I was bothering.

I'm sorry to say but wording is very important to some people. I fully understand that I did not design the test and I cant be sure why you structured it that way, but I sure hope its not a control factor of any sort. How do you intend to interpret variations in answers? What could be to one personal essentially the same question, Could seem entirely unrelated to another.

People who are more literal will have answers all over the board when you ask them if they felt like "time stopped" rather then "did time pass more quickly do to your enjoyment".

Thank-you for your comments BobTD,

The terms I use for the game types (e.g. shoot em up, etc) are mainly so I get an idea of the general preferences of gamers, so if there are some deviations of people's interpretations, I should still see some general trends anyway.

Your point about finding out how long people have been playing a game is a good comment. That is something I hadn't really considered. I can't really change the questionnaire now since it is bad practice to make changes half-way through collecting responses. If I run a similar type of study in the future though, this is a point I will integrate into my wording of the question.

The questions are not designed to implement control in any way. In terms of assessing the variations in answers, my analysis involves looking at the differences in within responses (one person's solo gaming vs social gaming) rather than between people (everyone's responses to solo play expereinces and similarly, everyone's social game). This accounts for the individual differences factor.

If you have any further comments, please let me know.
Thank-you again for your time and interest in my research.
Yasdnil

thedeparted
03-02-2010, 03:50 AM
You need to learn how to multi-quote....lol

Yasdnil
03-02-2010, 07:27 AM
You need to learn how to multi-quote....lol

lol. I prefer to respond to people's comments individually though, so it makes people feel special....;-)

jango
03-02-2010, 07:33 AM
lol. I prefer to respond to people's comments individually though, so it makes people feel special....;-)

if it's any consolation i felt special .. but then i am special .. altho sadly i'm mostly special needs :S

Project Blaze
03-02-2010, 08:37 AM
Whew! I finished the survey for ya! ^_^ Took me a while to recall the last time I played a game with someone though. Been quite a while, but I managed to remember something. I kinda liked doin' the survey for some reason tbh. ^_^

Yasdnil
03-02-2010, 09:16 AM
if it's any consolation i felt special .. but then i am special .. altho sadly i'm mostly special needs :S

:laugh: you make me giggle

Yasdnil
03-02-2010, 09:17 AM
Whew! I finished the survey for ya! ^_^ Took me a while to recall the last time I played a game with someone though. Been quite a while, but I managed to remember something. I kinda liked doin' the survey for some reason tbh. ^_^

Thank-you Infernal Slayer; I appreciate your time and interest. I think you are the only person who actually got some enjoyment from completing my questionnaire.....:laugh:

Project Blaze
03-02-2010, 09:25 AM
Thank-you Infernal Slayer; I appreciate your time and interest. I think you are the only person who actually got some enjoyment from completing my questionnaire.....:laugh:

lol I just like doin' somethin' to keep me bizay. ^_^ Plus, I have got waaaay too much time on my hands. XD

Subb
03-02-2010, 11:15 AM
I'm glad you found it OK. I play some games but I wouldn't say I was a very experienced gamer. I am reasonably good at the Halo series and some racing games but I find strategy-type games really tricky!

ahh a halo gamer i see. i love playing halo. ever now and again i jump on and get carried away. But my main focus are dragon age origins and mass effect 2. Hope all is well

Yasdnil
03-03-2010, 03:30 AM
ahh a halo gamer i see. i love playing halo. ever now and again i jump on and get carried away. But my main focus are dragon age origins and mass effect 2. Hope all is well

Mass Effect 2 looks good from what I've seen of it. I am thinking of moving on it once I gto Halo 3 out of my system :laugh:

jango
03-03-2010, 04:46 AM
Mass Effect 2 looks good from what I've seen of it. I am thinking of moving on it once I gto Halo 3 out of my system :laugh:

cool .. check out a few of the reviews (one from me, shixx, and cleril) we've done here (http://www.gamers-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73) if you're still unsure :)

Yasdnil
03-03-2010, 06:45 AM
cool .. check out a few of the reviews (one from me, shixx, and cleril) we've done here (http://www.gamers-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73) if you're still unsure :)

Thanks that's great.

Subb
03-03-2010, 10:02 AM
Thanks that's great.

i think u will really enjoy mass effect 2, gah now i wanna go play halo3

Project Blaze
03-03-2010, 10:03 AM
Speaking of Halo, what's it even stand for? It's been buggin' me forever!

LemonRising
03-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Did the survey.

WOAH MAN took a bit.
but fun

Subb
03-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Did the survey.

WOAH MAN took a bit.
but fun

hahah yeah it was a fun "little" survery. i kind of enjoyed it too tho

Yasdnil
03-05-2010, 08:03 AM
Did the survey.

WOAH MAN took a bit.
but fun

You're great, thank-you.

LemonRising
03-05-2010, 08:24 AM
Aww you're so kind <:

blushblush

Yasdnil
03-11-2010, 03:14 AM
Aww you're so kind <:

blushblush

:laugh: haha

Yasdnil
03-16-2010, 08:59 AM
I will be closing the questionnaire soon, so if anyone else want to take part, then I would really appreciate it.
Thanks to everyone who has completed it already; you're great!
Thanks
Yasdnil

Yasdnil
04-01-2010, 11:42 AM
The questionnaire has now closed. Once again, I would like to thank you for your time and interest in my research. I will be returning at some point over the next fews weeks to let you know my main findings.
Bye for now.

LemonRising
04-01-2010, 12:53 PM
Awesome : D

and nooo problem

jango
04-01-2010, 01:20 PM
will be interesting to see what your assessment is .. just don't be a total stranger :P

Button Bashing
04-02-2010, 02:16 AM
cool dude that looks good

RicketyCricket
04-08-2010, 06:34 PM
Survey complete! Glad to help you out!

Subb
04-08-2010, 07:06 PM
I'd love to know how u just completed this when the survey has been closed.

pinoyaussie
04-11-2010, 06:06 AM
I'll try it.

youthism_is_me
04-12-2010, 02:06 PM
I whent to the survey But it was closed . Is there any reason for this ?

Subb
04-12-2010, 02:11 PM
I whent to the survey But it was closed . Is there any reason for this ?

Yes it was a project for school. So she closed it down cause the its all done.

Yasdnil
04-16-2010, 04:29 AM
As promised, I'm back to share my findings with you lovely people who have taken part in my research. :)

Aims
My study aimed to look at the influence of flow (positive feelings during gaming) on mood after playing videogames. Also, to see the differences in flow and mood between solo and social gaming experiences.I also wanted to look at the role of competitiveness and aspects of aggression on gaming experiences and mood after game-play.

Findings
Positive flow was positively linked to positive mood after game-play in both solo and social gaming experiences. Also, social gaming experiences resulted in higher positive mood following gameplay compared to solo experiences. This suggests gaming to be a highly enjoyable experience but playing with others as opposed to alone leads to heightened perceptions of positive mood after gameplay.

There were no differences in experiences of flow between solo and social experiences and no differences in negative mood following gameplay between the two experiences.

When comparing competitive versus cooperative gameplay and online versus offline contexts, there were no differences in experiences of flow during play, or positive or negative mood after gameplay. (I want to look at this a bit more closely for the future because I think expereinces between these can actually be different and so maybe if I do the study in a different way, I might find something else.....)

Competitiveness was positively related to flow and positive mood for social gaming experiences but not for solo ones. It is also noteworthy that competitiveness did not show to be related to negative mood in neither solo nor social gaming experiences. This suggests competitiveness to be a positive part of the gaming experience, in particular for social gaming.

Those are pretty much the main findings. My future research plans are to do some more focus groups or interviews with gamers to look at any differences in online versus offline gaming experiences because this hasn't really been studied before.

If any of you have any ideas/suggestions you think would be interesting to research, I would be very happy to hear them.

Thank-you once again for your help and support in my research.
Kind regards,
Yasdnil

jango
04-16-2010, 10:35 AM
cool yasdnil .. thanks for letting us know what you found out

does this mean we get cake now?

Subb
04-16-2010, 12:10 PM
yay ive been waiting for the results of your research. So thank you for sharing them with us and i look forward to taken part in your research in the future.

Yasdnil
05-06-2010, 03:09 AM
cool yasdnil .. thanks for letting us know what you found out

does this mean we get cake now?

I will send you cake if there is a way of transporting it over the Internet..........lol

In the mean time, please see attached. :-)

Yasdnil
05-06-2010, 03:12 AM
Yes it was a project for school. So she closed it down cause the its all done.

Close; it's a questionnaire for part of my PhD research. This was the fourth (and final) study of my PhD and so I appreciate all the support from those who competed it. All I have to do now is write up my thesis.......

jango
05-06-2010, 03:13 AM
I will send you cake if there is a way of transporting it over the Internet..........lol

In the mean time, please see attached. :-)

ooh, thanks

now, perhaps your next research project can be about 'scratch and sniff' technology, followed by 'scratch and eat' .. then i can actually have the cake :(

Yasdnil
05-06-2010, 03:13 AM
yay ive been waiting for the results of your research. So thank you for sharing them with us and i look forward to taken part in your research in the future.

Thank-you. I'm sure I will be recruiting people at some point in the near future!

Yasdnil
05-06-2010, 03:14 AM
ooh, thanks

now, perhaps your next research project can be about 'scrtach and sniff' technology, followed by 'sratch and eat' .. then i can actually have the cake :(

Haha- good idea!

Subb
05-06-2010, 04:06 AM
Haha- good idea!

yay Yasdnil, nice to see u again. How are you?

Yasdnil
05-06-2010, 04:52 AM
Hey Subb, I'm good thanks. How are you?
Sorry for not being on here for a while but things have been pretty hectic in the world of videogame research!

What's going on with you?

Yasdnil
10-11-2012, 03:33 AM
Hi all,
My colleagues and I have developed a shorter and modified version of this survey, and are looking more specifically at solo versus social cooperative gaming experiences and effect on mood. If you are interested in helping out with some gaming research, then please follow the link below. Thank you.

Social flow in gaming (http://edu.surveygizmo.com/s3/548638/Social-flow-in-gaming)

Yasdnil
02-12-2013, 05:50 AM
Survey still open if anyone is interested....? Thanks to those of you who have already helped out.

rs2account
03-19-2013, 02:01 AM
oooh, online survey closed

Yasdnil
03-19-2013, 05:52 AM
The modified version one is still open. I have just checked it is working ok. See earlier post (dated 10-11-2012). I don't want to post the link to the survey again, in case I get told off for double-posting!

Thanks for your interest :-)

NextGenerationGaming
03-24-2013, 07:46 PM
Did it! Hope you get what you are looking for.

Yasdnil
03-26-2013, 11:47 AM
Cheers NextGenerationGaming, I really appreciate it. Hopefully once a few more people have completed it, I will be able to start analysing the data and let you know the findings! :-)

Yasdnil
04-12-2013, 03:52 AM
Anyone else interested in helping out with my research? If so, please see link to survey on my post dated 10-11-2012.
Thank you.
Yasdnil