PDA

View Full Version : Health Care Bill Passed

Samus-Fan
03-22-2010, 10:44 AM
Last night, the 219 - 213 (Correct?) votes For HC - Against HC were announced.
This means that the Health Care Bill that has been trying to get passed since Obama went into Office, the Heath Care Bill that Majority of America clearly said they did not want, was passed.

I was curious about everyone's thoughts on the bill and what it means to them.
To me it means increased taxes for everyone, that's what I see. People who can't afford Medicare can't afford taxes, right?

It's clear where I stand. What about everyone else?

Diligence109
03-22-2010, 11:27 AM
I feel that, given our country's availability of resources, this kind of health care system has been long overdue and we have been doing an injustice by imposing a ruthless greedy capitalist system over a person's moral right to their health and well being.

That being said - the kind of change that is being pushed will mean greater taxes, yes, but those taxes will mostly be focused on health industries and very, very rich people. (http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2010/0321/Health-care-reform-bill-101-Who-will-pay-for-reform) We're talking health industries that are going to get getting much more business once the bill passes and people who make 200k+/year. By 2018, there will be some tax for everyone else, but it will only be for those who have higher-end insurance plans. Medicare will be cut down and some things shuffled around, but many Americans aren't going to feel the hit of the $940 billion the bill will cost over the course of the next ten years in their daily lifestyles. Oh, unless you go to indoor tanning salons, which will have a new special tax imposed on them, specifically, for some strange hilarious reason.

What's more is that even though the bill is costing this much to be put into place, it will actually start saving money and help shave something off of our country's deficit (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20000691-503544.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody) over the next 20 years. One of Obama's bottom line goals was to reduce the deficit, which he's doing beautifully, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

Every change takes work. There are so many good things about this reform bill. I'm all for it.

BobTD
03-22-2010, 01:02 PM
Really though our helth insurance and medical treatment is a tricky issue.

We mess with one thing, and everything else has to be adjusted. You fix health care the insurance company will adjust, doctor wages will adjust, then maybe last the cost of the education might adjust.

How will it affect doctors is what I want to know. Right now we have a field of professionals driven by money more often then a desire to help people. Compared to other counties where the government sets the wages where you wont expect to make a killing. Im not saying everyone is driven by greed or that is a bad thing or not, but it clearly cost to much to get an MRI in this country, thousands where the actual bill for the service is a few hundred dollars. This probably pays for the crazy loans doctors take out to go to school, and its set that high because doctors can afford it... for now.

EpsilonX
03-22-2010, 01:11 PM
can somebody explain what the health care bill consists of? i don't pay attention to political stuff but i've been seeing a lot of controversy surrounding it, so it interested me.

edit: my friend explained it to me so don't bother. not like you were gonna anyways.

LiNuX
03-22-2010, 01:38 PM
People who can't afford Medicare can't afford taxes, right?

Isn't medicare free?

Samus-Fan
03-22-2010, 02:02 PM
Health care, whatever
You know what I meant

LemonRising
03-22-2010, 02:20 PM
HAHAHAHAA

NOW YOU WILL ALL HAVE HEALTHCARE

HAHAHAHHAAAAAAAAA
YOU WILL SUFFER THE .. UNSUFFERING OF YOUR ILLNESSES.

lolwat

oh, also. Glad to see you guys gettin some.
Us Canadians have loved it.

Diligence109
03-22-2010, 02:33 PM
There is a reason, after all, that us Americans have to look up to you Canadians, isn't there?

Eps - I'ma assume that was a joke so I can still respect you as an intelligent human being. You are very funny XD

Muffincat
03-22-2010, 03:24 PM
Here we go

Texas lawmaker admits yelling ‘baby killer’
But Rep. Neugebauer says he was referring to health care bill, not Stupak

A Republican congressman from Texas on Monday admitted he shouted “baby killer” from the House floor as Rep. Bart Stupak, D-Mich., defended his change of position on health care legislation on Sunday. But Rep. Randy Neugebauer said that his remark was a comment on the bill itself and not directed at the Michigan lawmaker.

"In the heat and emotion of the debate, I exclaimed the phrase 'it's a baby killer' in reference to the agreement reached by the Democratic leadership," Neugebauer said in a statement released by his office. "While I remain heartbroken over the passage of this bill and the tragic consequences it will have for the unborn, I deeply regret that my actions were mistakenly interpreted as a direct reference to Congressman Stupak himself.

"I have apologized to Mr. Stupak and also apologize to my colleagues for the manner in which I expressed my disappointment about the bill. The House Chamber is a place of decorum and respect. The timing and tone of my comment last night was inappropriate."

Texas congressman admits yelling Ă¢€˜baby killerĂ¢€™ - Capitol Hill- msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35986306/ns/politics-capitol_hill/?gt1=43001)

EpsilonX
03-22-2010, 05:09 PM
There is a reason, after all, that us Americans have to look up to you Canadians, isn't there?

Eps - I'ma assume that was a joke so I can still respect you as an intelligent human being. You are very funny XD

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv293/VanillaFayce/Forum%20Poop/789_CoolFace.jpg

Jaykub
03-22-2010, 07:00 PM
I don't think anyone understand this does not mean its FREE!!!111!!! they actually force you to pay for **** or there is a fine

LemonRising
03-22-2010, 09:54 PM
nothing is 'FREE'
but better economically and better for everybody? (except maybe rich people who go to tanning salons?)
INDEEEEEEEEEEED

thedeparted
03-22-2010, 09:58 PM
At first I was a little perturbed at the fact a fine or tax would be levied if you didn't get some as I thought they would give very time. But after finding out that won't be started till 2015...no worries. Gives everyone more than enough time.

Edit: Also they don't require you to get much healthcare to avoid the fines, 325/yr will get you out of it.