PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Book(s)

Muffincat
04-25-2010, 05:19 PM
Not enough literature love here on GF, so here we go <3

What are your favorite books (if you read >_>)?

My favorite book as a child was Watership Down by Richard Adams, and I still have my copy which is so terribly worn because I read it like a thousand times. Currently:

Hard-Boiled Wonderland at the End of the World/The Wind Up Bird Chronicle/A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami.
American Gods by Neil Gaiman <3.
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo.
The Neverending Story by Michael Ende.
The Tin Drum by Günter Grass.
The Hunger Games Trilogy (even though the third one isn't out yet) by Suzanne Collins (DON'T JUDGE ME >:|)
Vurt by Jeff Noon.
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.
Orlando Furioso by Ludovico Ariosto.
The Book of Salt by Monique Truong.
World Ball Notebook by Sesshu Foster.
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy.
Dead Girls by Richard Calder.

There are a bunch more...... but I will stop at that. I read a lot. I have several boxes everywhere full of books that I need to sort.... anyway I am sure someone will post things in here that will also spark my memory. Yayyy :)

Murakami and Gaiman are probably my favorite authors at this point in time. (Except for William Carlos Williams, who is my favorite poet <3 And then Richard Brautigan :3)

So. Go!

jango
04-25-2010, 07:17 PM
this was really tough for me as i have a LOT of favourite books that i'd recommend .. but in general here's my 'brief' list ..

raymond carver - where i'm calling from
william faulkner - as i lay dying
bret easton ellis - american psycho (i hate the movie)
oscar wilde - the picture of dorian gray
sylvia plath - johnny panic and the bible of dreams (the bell jar is a very close second)
joe orton - entertaining mr sloane
irvine welsh - trainspotting
anton chekov - the cherry orchard
tim o'brien - the things they carried
douglas coupland - generation x
george orwell - down and out in paris and london
william burroughs - naked lunch
charlotte perkins gilman - the yellow wallpaper

bah .. i could list a tonne more, but hey .. that'll do for now :)

Dess
04-25-2010, 08:29 PM
Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte is my all time favorite.

Wicked - Gregory Maguire... or any of his novels actually..

Way of a Peaceful Warrior - Dan Millman

The Ender Series - Orson Scott Card

Mayfair Witch Chronicles ( Triology ) - Anne Rice

.... anything by Anne Rice....

The Tao

There's more.... but I think I'm done for now...lol

thedeparted
04-25-2010, 10:55 PM
I've never been much of a reader.

I was forced to read Holes in 6th grade, that was good. I was also forced to read a book about a kid who was flying up to like canada or something and the plane crashed. The pilot died and he was on his own for a really long time, anyone familiar with that

On my own Generation Kill and A Passing Season is about as far as my literature extend lmao. Generation Kill is ultra win, one day I wish to read books from the other guys in that platoon. A Passing Season is alright, I seen it laying around my uncles room. It's basically about my town but with my names changed and the such.

RaiDae
04-26-2010, 02:14 PM
The night angel trilogy by Brent Weeks. I think i've read the first one like 10 times.... It doesn't matter how many times I read it, it still captivates me and puts me on edge.
Inkheart was one of my favourite books for a while.
I quite like most of Terry Pratchets books. The first two in the diskworld series are probably my favourites.
And the series of books where the first one is called "wi'ch fire" or something like that. And there's another series but i forgotten the name of the author and the books... /facepalm

HamadaLFC8
04-26-2010, 02:16 PM
I hate reading :/ and the only time I actually read, was because it was an assignment for my English class XD

GrandMoff
04-26-2010, 11:45 PM
THE SECRET by Rhonda Byrne
ANGELS AND DEMONS by Dan Brown
THE DA VINCI CODE by Dan Brown

These three are the books I brought up with me to college and have in my dorm.

Dess
04-26-2010, 11:50 PM
THE SECRET by Rhona Byrne
ANGELS AND DEMONS by Dan Brown
THE DA VINCI CODE by Dan Brown

These three are the books I brought up with me to college and have in my dorm.

The Lost Symbol is great book too. You should check it out.

GrandMoff
04-27-2010, 12:05 AM
The Lost Symbol is great book too. You should check it out.

I am behind on my reading, thanks to the inordinate amount of homework I have been doing the past few weeks. I aim to bang out Angels and Demons soon, then I am definitely moving on to The Lost Symbol. I am interested in the Illuminati.

Subb
04-27-2010, 12:49 AM
Ya'll remember the hardy boys?

Morticia
04-27-2010, 01:13 AM
All of Kurt Vonnegut's works. Except for "Slapstick," even he admitted that it was awful.
I'm gonna get a sleeve dedicated to him and his literature. Most of it changed my life. :]

youthism_is_me
04-27-2010, 11:58 AM
Enders Game
Enders Shadow Shadow Puppets Shadow of the Hegemon
Xenocide
Fallout
Also any other book by Orson Scott Card .