PDA

View Full Version : Able to get a ticket in Ohio if officer thinks your going too fast

Jokersvirus
06-03-2010, 11:42 PM
In Ohio, if a cop says it looked like you were speeding, he can write you a ticket - no proof needed. Makes things so much easier for law enforcement if they don't have to be bothered with the burden of proof. True story.

The state's supreme court ruled five-to-one that independent verification of a driver's speed isn't necessary... things like laser guns or radar or actually clocking how fast you're going. The court says an officer's visual estimate will work as long as the officer is trained, certified by a training academy and experienced in finding speeders.

Supporters say that officers undergo extensive training where they have to visually estimate the speed of vehicles within one or two miles per hour of the actual speed.

Nonetheless, law enforcement officials insist they won't be getting rid of their speed guns; and that it's rare for officers to give tickets based solely on their observations. But the state's highest court says if they want to, it's quite all right.

The case stemmed from the appeal of a traffic ticket issued near Akron, Ohio in 2008.

In that case, a police officer ticketed a driver because he said it looked like the driver was going too fast.

Without any technical assistance, the cop determined that the motorist was going 70 miles-per-hour when the speed limit was 60. The driver says the court's decision "stinks." The driver is right.

Thought this was interesting.

thedeparted
06-03-2010, 11:46 PM
oh man that some bs right there

Jokersvirus
06-03-2010, 11:54 PM
It is, I dont agree with that, You got a laser that can tag someone from over half a mile away. When i become a police officer im not going to sit there and be like "ok i know this mfer is doing atleast 100." NO