PDA

View Full Version : Rate Me Hazama Signature [183.6k Bytes]

MyLifeIsRandom
07-10-2010, 04:00 PM
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/3708/hazamasignature.png

Again, if anyone can tell me where Windows Vista holds screenshots, I'll gladly post one showing me with the .XCF file in Gimp. Until then, you'll just have to take my word on it.

I rendered this image of Hazama. That is, I cut him and the evil, little, poisonous monsters from their former background. I did so in a lazy fashion using the Selection by Color tool, as the entirety of his background was a dull grey color seperate from any colors on Hazama himself. I used the Color Selection tool to grab the green from within the mouth of the left monster. It's this color that I simply used to fill in an alpha selection of Hazama and then Blur filtered to give him an ominous aura.

The background is a photograph of Tokyo that I grabbed off DeviantArt. It's a great place to find various stock photographs for use in signatures. Being photographs, they're not an intellectual property or published product, so it's basically free for use if not modified. I took a light blue and the previously mentioned green and performed a gradient map on a duplicate of the stock. It was either before or after this that I used a Sharpen filter. My short term memory is horrific beyond belief. Anyway, I lightened up the photo before all this with a Dodge and Screen layer. Dodge to lighten the lights, and to darken the darks. Screen to brighten up the entire thing to make it clearly visible.

On to the present time, I took a dark green from the left monster and, with a duplicate of the gradient map layer, colored over it. This was because the gradient map came out far too bright and far too blue. This layer helped me get back into a dark and green coloring. From then on, I abused Clipping Masks and Splatter brushed to make a hectic looking background. Being how psychotically destructive Hazama is, it was only proper. After a few Clipping Masks, I duplicated the final product and flipped it upside-down. I erased with the previously mentioned Splatter brushes and fine tuned some spots with a default circle brush.

Finally, I made a long, rectangular selection for my text to rest upon. You can see it over on the far right. I'm thinking my text was a bit too bright, but I usually screw up and make it impossible to read when darkening. So, I left it bright and proud as it is. Then I slapped on a 2px black border around the whole thing, using a Sharpen filter here and there to pronounce the details in the Hazama render and the background. That's pretty much all there is to it.

Constructive criticism welcome. <3

Subb
07-10-2010, 04:08 PM
i know with windows 7 u take the screen shot them u gotta past it into paint. Im sure its the same with vista

RaiDae
07-10-2010, 04:36 PM
yeah. Take a screenshot, open up paint and paste it there. :S not the most effective of methods... but that's how i do it.

Wow. i absoloutely love it. I especially like the way the greens, blacks and yellows work together. I would suggest making your name stand out a bit more... maybe make it bigger .. i dunno, you're the gfx artist. I'm also not entirely keen on the blue at the top, but I guess it'd be a bit less interesting if it were all dark.
Awesome, i love it and keep up the good work

MyLifeIsRandom
07-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Here is a full-sized 1280px width by 800px height screenshot of me with the .XCF file open, all layers exposed. Linked to it for obvious reasons. Can't have a page stretcher.

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/9013/hazamaproof.png

HamadaLFC8
07-11-2010, 06:41 AM
thats looks freaking awesome man!!!!

Jokersvirus
07-11-2010, 06:43 AM
You have some nice skills with gimp, very nice :).

I wish i was creative, but i just got trolling, video games, and tacos :(

thedeparted
07-11-2010, 09:53 AM
Depending on what version that's not so bad Joker :P

Muffincat
07-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Oooooooooooooooh. It's green. I like green ;D

If you want some constructive criticism, the only things I could really have a problem with would be:

-those weird glowy yellow/black things; they are kind of distracting. It isn't really a huge deal because they sig looks fine, that's just my personal preference

-the font you use for your name. Again, personal preference; I just think it doesn't fit well. I think it looks fine, I just personally would have chosen a different font o.o

Those are the only really nitpicky things I could pick out: I think it looks lovely. :)

Charlotte
07-13-2010, 06:49 AM
good I really love it.
If Gimp have blend, it will be better. :D

Diligence109
07-13-2010, 06:03 PM
I'm super impressed.. I love that you walk us through what you did - it's nice to have explained your process. As an aspring and wannabe graphic artist I love hearing your step by step walkthrough :)

If I were to pick on anything it would be the text - I'm not necesarily against the font selection but I feel (as you feared) that it is too stark and bright against it's background. I don't think I'd want the whole thing darker... but it would be cool if it had a tapered almost sunburst effect to it where it got darker/blended towards the edges.

Awesome work though - love the consistent themes and motives throughout! Would you make me a sig if I shot some renders your way?

norid
07-13-2010, 06:57 PM
that looks great. ya just reminded me of Blazblue 2 haha thanks