PDA

View Full Version : Using Music in Videos

BobTD
08-09-2010, 03:45 AM
I thought as long as you provided the name and creator of the song youtube wouldnt mind. They have those links to buy the song so they often just treat it as advertising. I upload vids all the time with music and never got so much as a warning.

Dess
08-09-2010, 06:07 AM
A lot of my gaming vids are put to music, and like Bob said, they just put the link to download the mp3 at the bottom, but they let me leave it up. Also.. is there a limit to how many videos you can post?? I already have about 5 music vids and quite a few others.

Jokersvirus
08-09-2010, 10:10 AM
Bah I made an epic music video but it would seem I dont want to get sued by my favorite band.

EpsilonX
08-09-2010, 11:01 AM
they don't sue you or anything, youtube just takes down your video or makes you change the song.

Jokersvirus
08-09-2010, 12:01 PM
They didnt make me change the song lol

LiNuX
08-09-2010, 02:22 PM
They didnt make me change the song lol

It depends on what the record label wants done. If you use a song recorded by a petty record label, they'll remove the content by force and they CAN sue you. It probably won't go anywhere, but it'll scare the hell out of you to ever do that again.

Jokersvirus
08-09-2010, 02:35 PM
If I buy the CD upload the music onto my computer and make a music video there is nothing wrong with it, If im not mistaken.

LiNuX
08-09-2010, 02:38 PM
If I buy the CD upload the music onto my computer and make a music video there is nothing wrong with it, If im not mistaken.

That's exactly what you can't do. It's not about owning the CD, but owning the rights to the song/music itself.

And I'm splitting this thread into two threads to keep the main thread about epsilon's contest.

EpsilonX
08-09-2010, 03:03 PM
well, there is the fair use copyright thing, where you can use the song to like let other people listen to it and stuff. im not sure exactly what it is, but its along those lines

LiNuX
08-09-2010, 04:10 PM
well, there is the fair use copyright thing, where you can use the song to like let other people listen to it and stuff. im not sure exactly what it is, but its along those lines

If you want to stream it for others to use, you need a license for it which I believe costs you. I'm not sure if it's per song or whether you have to deal with the record label directly. Never looked into it.

But as I mentioned before, the only type of song you won't get in trouble for are songs under the creative commons license. And you still have to provide credit to the artist but you can use the music any way you please without worrying about youtube or anyone else taking it down for you and it'll protect you from lawsuits, as long as you give proper credit.

Jokersvirus
08-09-2010, 04:11 PM
I thought as long as you provided the name and creator of the song youtube wouldnt mind. They have those links to buy the song so they often just treat it as advertising. I upload vids all the time with music and never got so much as a warning.

Its up to the record company, if you look at youtube's stuff FAQ.

Question like that came up, its not enough, the record label can accept that but its at the end of the day it is up to them on what they want to do.

if they want to accept it they can, if not they can ask for it to be removed.

would be nice, but ehh it happens.