PDA

View Full Version : Father Ends Weekend Visit with Son by Stealing & Selling His Games

DirtyDMan
08-12-2010, 10:55 PM
Sometimes, it can seem like one’s father can be a real jerk when it comes to video games. Sometimes they’ll tell you to turn it off and do your homework, come to dinner, or go to bed. Sometimes they’ll refuse to buy you the latest and greatest new title that everyone has, and you’ll absolutely die if you don’t get. And sometimes, perhaps when you’ve done something which was foolish in hindsight, they’ll take it away altogether.

That last one can be a real sticking point for some, but the subject of this story manages to go well beyond that in a pretty scummy way.

Joseph Phillips is a 28-year old man with a 9-year old son, who he was visiting for the weekend. Some such visits may end with a heartfelt hug between father and son, until next they meet. This visit ended with a theft.

Phillips was visiting his ex-wife and their son when she left to run some errands, and that’s when he made his move. The Delhi Police Department says that Phillips stole his son’s video game system, as well as the games which go with it, and took them to a nearby “video game buy-back store,” where he unloaded the lot for about ten percent of their value.

According to Phillips’ ex-wife, the stolen goods were valued at $1,070, meaning he only received about $107 for his ill deed.

If, at this point, you’re likely saying to yourself “that guy is probably just some strung-out drug addict.” And surprise! You would be correct.

Phillips told police that he had a drug history, to say nothing of a long criminal record in the state of Indiana. Between 2006 and 2009, he had been arrested three times in Dearborn County, the Enquirer confirmed.

For this offense, he was arrested on misdemeanor charges, rather than felony charges. Cincinnati.com says the reason behind this was not made clear, given the high value of the goods stolen.
clear pixel

In any event, he was arrested Monday at his mother’s house and taken to the Hamilton County Justice Center. His time there was short, however, and he was processed out due to jail overcrowding.

Those outraged to hear he was let out so soon will be happy to know that his legal woes have only worsened since Monday; he failed to show up for a court arraignment on Tuesday, state court records, thus leading to Judge Ted Berry signing a warrant that very same day for his arrest.

Despite the no-show, it seems that Phillips would have some believe he’s trying to turn over a new leaf. Delhi police said that he told them that he was not going to be around, instead joining Teen Challenge USA, a Christian-based program in Milford dedicated to helping teens and adults with their addictions. And the day he said he was starting?

Tuesday.

Phillips allegedly told the police that the program was between eight and twelve months long. But curiously enough, numerous officials from the program’s Indiana headquarters were unable to confirm his participation in the program.

The story unfortunately provides no resolution for Phillips’ son. Hopefully things will be set right by the other involved parties, leaving him plenty of time to write up a really appropriate Father’s Day card for next year.

Father Ends Weekend Visit with Son by Stealing Selling His Games | Ripten Video Game Blog (http://www.ripten.com/2010/08/12/father-ends-weekend-visit-with-son-by-stealing-selling-his-games-lbd416/)

I guess hes out of the running for Father of the year.... See what drugs make you do kids.... Just say no.....

glenofimaal
08-12-2010, 11:32 PM
Somebody needs to make sure the child doesn't use drugs like his father

Jokersvirus
08-12-2010, 11:35 PM
With a father like that, the kid will most likely grow up screwed up in the head and might turn to crime.

BobTD
08-12-2010, 11:54 PM
I dont think we are entirely a product of our environment. Im sure it offers advantages and disadvantages but have a bad father doesn't make you turn to crime. Mine is a con man who tried to kidnap me while promising to take me to Disney Land and I turned out fine.

refrigerator.

Yuuki
08-13-2010, 01:38 PM
Ohmeohmy this world.

LiNuX
08-13-2010, 03:16 PM
The video game store could have at least returned the stuff in exchange for maybe the $107 and some free PR.

Muffincat
08-13-2010, 08:53 PM
I like that someone apparent called it a “video game buy-back store"

...I hope that was a quote from the kid Oo