PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy vs Sci Fi?

EpsilonX
09-11-2010, 06:15 PM
So, which genre do you prefer? Fantasy's dragons, elves, witches, forests, castles, kingdoms and magic, or Science Fiction's robots, aliens, spaceships, time travel, and other futuristic things?

Examples of Sci Fi

Movies: The Matrix, Star Wars, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Gattaca, Logan's Run, Star Trek, Transformers, Back to the Future
Games: Xenosaga, Halo, Starcraft, Universe at War, System Shock, Doom 3, Metal Gear Solid

Examples of Fantasy:

Movies: Clash of the Titans, Lord of the Rings, Prince of Persia, Chronicles of Narnia
Games: Elder Scrolls, God of War, Diablo 2, World of Warcraft.

I only listed those to give you an example of what each genre is. But this is genre vs genre, not movies and games in a particular genre vs movies and games that are in the other genre.

jango
09-11-2010, 06:19 PM
this is a tricky one for me .. esp as i'm a star wars geek at heart having grown up with the original movies

however these days i'm more into rpg .. not excessively, but on the whole

EpsilonX
09-11-2010, 06:21 PM
I'm a sci-fi nerd, i think fantasy is just okay.

And don't forget, there are sci-fi rpg games too (Mass Effect, Xenosaga)

HamadaLFC8
09-11-2010, 06:21 PM
arghhh
I hate Star Wars but loveee Halo

I hate Dragon age but loveee Lord of the Rings

haha i voted for Sci fi cuz halo is just sooo awesome

jango
09-11-2010, 06:24 PM
And don't forget, there are sci-fi rpg games too (Mass Effect, Xenosaga)

That's the bit that made me stumble when it came to voting hehe

EpsilonX
09-11-2010, 06:30 PM
arghhh
I hate Star Wars but loveee Halo

I hate Dragon age but loveee Lord of the Rings

haha i voted for Sci fi cuz halo is just sooo awesome

Just cuz those are the only games I listed doesn't mean they're the entire genre, those are just examples. The real debate is like Knights, dragons, magic, etc vs space, robots, aliens, etc

Iceskater101
09-11-2010, 06:34 PM
I said sci fi because I love star wars and halo
and I don't like lord of the rings and I have never played dragons age

LiNuX
09-11-2010, 06:56 PM
Personally I prefer sci-fi but I like both genres. They're interesting. But it might depend on the day too...sometimes I just like watching stuff that never happened or can never happen (like fire breathing dragons).

HamadaLFC8
09-11-2010, 07:56 PM
Just cuz those are the only games I listed doesn't mean they're the entire genre, those are just examples. The real debate is like Knights, dragons, magic, etc vs space, robots, aliens, etc

I know dude, but these are my fav games from both genres :P I don't play these genres much!

EpsilonX
09-11-2010, 08:03 PM
I know dude, but these are my fav games from both genres :P I don't play these genres much!

Just makin sure lol.

jango
09-12-2010, 02:29 AM
Just to show my infinity with sci-fi too ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpvlTVgeivU

glenofimaal
09-12-2010, 03:09 PM
I dont know which one i like better...... i like them both

But i'll just choose fantasy lol

Muffincat
09-12-2010, 08:07 PM
I do love sci-fi a LOT... I read a lot of science fiction and generally prefer those types of books to fantasy books (though I also love fantasy..quite a bit), but when it comes to games I think I like fantasy games better.

It's a tough decision, but I went ahead with fantasy.

jango
09-13-2010, 01:56 AM
Oops .. double-post while the site was lagging this morning .. REMOVED!

EpsilonX
09-13-2010, 11:21 AM
Did you delete the wrong post jango...?

anyways, fantasy is catching up! attention sci-fi nerds! come vote here!

jango
09-13-2010, 03:47 PM
Did you delete the wrong post jango...?

anyways, fantasy is catching up! attention sci-fi nerds! come vote here!

Nope .. there was a double-post during the more laggy times at the begining of the recent downtime, so I accidentally posted the Star Wars/Bohemian Rhapsody thing twice.

BobTD
09-13-2010, 04:03 PM
this is a tricky one for me .. esp as i'm a star wars geek at heart having grown up with the original movies

however these days i'm more into rpg .. not excessively, but on the whole

RPG doesnt really mean fantasy, we have been playing sci fii RPGs for ages as well as the fantasy settings, and often a blend of the two.

And star wars isnt really hard line sci fi, "the force" and other voodoo sets a fantasy element.

jango
09-13-2010, 04:04 PM
RPG doesnt really mean fantasy, we have been playing sci fii RPGs for ages as well as the fantasy settings, and often a blend of the two.

And star wars isnt really hard line sci fi, "the force" and other voodoo sets a fantasy element.

Yeah this isn't really telling me anything I didn't know already .. I just responded how the question came across to me :)

BobTD
09-13-2010, 04:20 PM
I know... im just buying time while I think of an answer. I love sci fi... but can I really say I havent spent more time in a fantasy setting? Morrowind vs Mass effect? How can one choose?

I do know this, Im a huge fan of dark fantasy. If there where a grim and bloody midevil setting with only enough fantasy to allow necromancers and mages and portals to hell, I love it. But as soon as we get fantasy creatures and "white magic vs black magic" and princesses in distress is starts to suck.

Oblivion and morrowind managed to stay pretty stable in a reliably consistent dark setting with out to much straying into silly things like unicorns and griffins. (well, the unicorn was optional)

I like true hard line sci fi because Im not a fan of elves or dwarfs, and the good vs evil setting.

And I like characters who survive because they are smart and determined. Rather then "discovering the power that was always inside them" and crap like that. As soon as fantasy goes the road of battling a great evil power it gets lame.

Except the Zelda series. That of course is the exception to the rule. maybe I just got my fill of that setting after playing that series so many times, and just dont need to play anything similar.

jango
09-13-2010, 04:33 PM
Aye .. there's often a blur between fantasy/rpg, especially in certain games .. some people have a very hardlined view of it (I'm saying that in general rather than specifically to you bob ofc). I can't even remember the number of times I've seen on forums/community sites where people find themselves having the 'true rpg' argument. Hehe :)

EpsilonX
09-13-2010, 06:14 PM

Sure, Star Wars has a lot of fantasy elements, but the sci-fi elements far outweigh the fantasy elements. Plus, it's like the flagship series for the sci-fi genre (followed by star trek)

Charlotte
09-15-2010, 06:55 PM
You got an awesome question though.

Between this 2 genres, I prefer more to Sci fi than Fantasy.

Unless If I played online mmorpg, I'm more to Fantasy cause I love their battle system and their weapon.