PDA

View Full Version : People Given Religion Test; Many Fail

Muffincat
09-30-2010, 06:46 PM
Americans are by all measures a deeply religious people, but they are also deeply ignorant about religion.

How much do you know about religion? Try answering a sampling of questions asked in a phone survey by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life.

Researchers from the independent Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life phoned more than 3,400 Americans and asked them 32 questions about the Bible, Christianity and other world religions, famous religious figures and the constitutional principles governing religion in public life.

On average, people who took the survey answered half the questions incorrectly, and many flubbed even questions about their own faith.

Those who scored the highest were atheists and agnostics, as well as two religious minorities: Jews and Mormons. The results were the same even after the researchers controlled for factors like age and racial differences.

“Even after all these other factors, including education, are taken into account, atheists and agnostics, Jews and Mormons still outperform all the other religious groups in our survey,” said Greg Smith, a senior researcher at Pew.

That finding might surprise some, but not Dave Silverman, president of American Atheists, an advocacy group for nonbelievers that was founded by Madalyn Murray O’Hair.

“I have heard many times that atheists know more about religion than religious people,” Mr. Silverman said. “Atheism is an effect of that knowledge, not a lack of knowledge. I gave a Bible to my daughter. That’s how you make atheists.”

Among the topics covered in the survey were: Where was Jesus born? What is Ramadan? Whose writings inspired the Protestant Reformation? Which Biblical figure led the exodus from Egypt? What religion is the Dalai Lama? Joseph Smith? Mother Teresa? In most cases, the format was multiple choice.

The researchers said that the questionnaire was designed to represent a breadth of knowledge about religion, but was not intended to be regarded as a list of the most essential facts about the subject. Most of the questions were easy, but a few were difficult enough to discern which respondents were highly knowledgeable.

On questions about the Bible and Christianity, the groups that answered the most right were Mormons and white evangelical Protestants.

On questions about world religions, like Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism and Judaism, the groups that did the best were atheists, agnostics and Jews.

One finding that may grab the attention of policy makers is that most Americans wrongly believe that anything having to do with religion is prohibited in public schools.

An overwhelming 89 percent of respondents, asked whether public school teachers are permitted to lead a class in prayer, correctly answered no.

But fewer than one of four knew that a public school teacher is permitted “to read from the Bible as an example of literature.” And only about one third knew that a public school teacher is permitted to offer a class comparing the world’s religions.

The survey’s authors concluded that there was “widespread confusion” about “the line between teaching and preaching.”

Mr. Smith said the survey appeared to be the first comprehensive effort at assessing the basic religious knowledge of Americans, so it is impossible to tell whether they are more or less informed than in the past.

The phone interviews were conducted in English and Spanish in May and June. There were not enough Muslim, Buddhist or Hindu respondents to say how those groups ranked.

Clergy members who are concerned that their congregants know little about the essentials of their own faith will no doubt be appalled by some of these findings:

¶ Fifty-three percent of Protestants could not identify Martin Luther as the man who started the Protestant Reformation.

¶ Forty-five percent of Catholics did not know that their church teaches that the consecrated bread and wine in holy communion are not merely symbols, but actually become the body and blood of Christ.

¶ Forty-three percent of Jews did not know that Maimonides, one of the foremost rabbinical authorities and philosophers, was Jewish.

The question about Maimonides was the one that the fewest people answered correctly. But 51 percent knew that Joseph Smith was Mormon, and 82 percent knew that Mother Teresa was Roman Catholic.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/09/28/us/28religion/28religion-articleInline.jpg

Article here:

Basic Religion Test Stumps Many Americans - NYTimes.com (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/28/us/28religion.html?_r=1&src=me&ref=general)

Interesting, anyway :P You can take the test on the website.

Kuwabara5678
09-30-2010, 06:51 PM
Agnostic here.

My friend was "Christian", but didn't know what exact religion. xD
She became Atheist. xD

But yeah, a lot of people are religious only because that's how they were raised.
They don't truly understand what it is.

:/

jango
09-30-2010, 06:56 PM
Not sure I like the idea of drawing a simplistic corelation between religion and intelligence .. it's a bit like what the nazis did, or 17th century 'social experts' did about the indigenous people or cultures of newly discovered/conquered lands, as well as other misleading and repressed sources of social anthropology. Ultimately meaningless and ill-informed imo.

An interesting read .. but to me quite baseless and a tad distasteful really.

Muffincat
09-30-2010, 06:58 PM
Do they mention anything about correlating it with intelligence? o.o

Kuwabara5678
09-30-2010, 07:02 PM
They did not. xD

It's just showing that a lot of Americans have no idea what they're doing. xD

LiNuX
09-30-2010, 07:06 PM
The test on the site isn't the same stuff, only 6 questions. I got 5/6. Didn't know about the person closely related to god after suffering...

“I have heard many times that atheists know more about religion than religious people,” Mr. Silverman said. “Atheism is an effect of that knowledge, not a lack of knowledge. I gave a Bible to my daughter. That’s how you make atheists.”

That's so accurate.

edit: looks like more posts came as I was reading and taking test and stuff...

jango
09-30-2010, 07:06 PM
Do they mention anything about correlating it with intelligence? o.o

lol .. reading between the lines :)

Kuwabara5678
09-30-2010, 07:07 PM
LiNuX...

That quote is epic.

LiNuX
09-30-2010, 07:08 PM
lol .. reading between the lines :)

In America, intelligence sometimes has nothing to do with almost anything.

yes...that makes sense to me.

Charlotte
10-01-2010, 03:36 AM
How what ashamed was this?

You know I'm RC but didn't really getting into religion deeply.

Jokersvirus
10-01-2010, 03:46 AM
My question is what does this test prove? Nothing to be perfectly honest. Just because people dont know everything related to their religion or have some idea of others doesnt mean they are not good people who are faithful to what they believe.

Muffincat
10-01-2010, 07:30 AM
They're not saying that they're unfaithful to what they believe. It's just interesting that many people who ARE religious apparently don't know a lot about it.

In my opinion, if you're going to be a part of something like religion, which tells you how to behave and what to do, you should probably know at least a bit about its history.

It doesn't make them lesser people or less faithful or less intelligent, or anything, and that's not what they are trying to say.

Charlotte
10-01-2010, 07:34 AM
They're not saying that they're unfaithful to what they believe. It's just interesting that many people who ARE religious apparently don't know a lot about it.

In my opinion, if you're going to be a part of something like religion, which tells you how to behave and what to do, you should probably know at least a bit about its history.

It doesn't make them lesser people or less faithful or less intelligent, or anything, and that's not what they are trying to say.

Hmmm I see.

By the way, how bout ya then? Does ya a religious person but don't know a lot about it?

No offense

Muffincat
10-01-2010, 04:24 PM
I'm not religious, but I have a fair amount of knowledge about various religions. Not a whole lot; I wouldn't call myself an expert or anything, but enough.

Jokersvirus
10-01-2010, 04:32 PM
99% of the world dont care about other religions outside their own, why should they? Knowing different religions dont help anyone. It wont bring us closer together as a people it wont end the wars around the world, it wont stop people dying because someone doesnt believe in someone's god.

Muffincat
10-01-2010, 04:37 PM
I think it's incredibly important to know about other religions and cultures to better understand where other people come from. A lot of the problems in the world come from misunderstandings; and, yes, actually, people are more tolerant of other people when they better understand their points of view.

Plus, people were not just questioned about OTHER religions; they also did not know things about their own. I still think it is very important to know about things outside of one's own belief. You don't have to believe it or think it's "right" or anything... but ... o_O

Knowledge and understanding doesn't hurt you; it helps o_o

Jokersvirus
10-01-2010, 04:40 PM
Knowledge and understanding wont save anyone. Talk to the extremist, right wing nuts. That west something church that hates everyone.

Talk to all of those who will shun you if you dont believe what they do and try to make them understand.

If you can get the terrorist to stop fighting and stop killing in the name of their god I would be surprised.

LemonRising
10-01-2010, 04:48 PM
A lot of people just go with the religion they're raised with. I always like when people go and learn about other religions, and get into the history of their own. it may not be -intelligence- but more of an ignorance thing. I'm not saying its particularly bad, its just.. odd.

lol joker, way to be a downer debbie. knowing stuff never hurts. It might not SAVE THE WORLD~ but it doesn't hurt.

Jokersvirus
10-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Im not being a downer, im looking at the world as it truly is. We cant put a bow on a piece of crap and say everything is better now.

LemonRising
10-01-2010, 05:15 PM
I'm not putting a bow on anything. I'm taking a piece of crap and acknowledging that I don't have to be apart of it. Then washing my hands. Cause that's gross.

Samus-Fan
10-01-2010, 10:39 PM
I see religion as something you believe in, something that gives you hope and reasons for questions that cannot be answered. I don't see it as a reason to blame people for not knowing about it.
A lot of people choose what kind of cloths they like. It makes them feel better about themselves when they like their cloths. It doesn't mean they know the history behind what they are wearing.
Most people don't know jeans were originally the lowest ranked clothing, used for work only. Developed in the gold rush.

I'm not saying religion is a pair of jeans, I'm saying Religion isn't something you down people on for not knowing every part of it, even major parts.
If someone wants to pray to SOMEONE and hope that someone in their life is listening to them, have a feeling of someone actually willing to help them with problems, someone to be there any time, I don't see a problem. Regardless of what religion.
Just because people don't know who split the sea in two, or who built an arc, or what animal bit who, or who is or isn't our savior, or whatever, doesn't mean they should be criticized for it.
No, religion isn't what it used to be, it isn't as High Ranking in peoples lives as it used to be, but it is something that can give people a lot of hope and reason, and I see no problem with that.
Who ever you believe in still loves you if you don't know about him.

Jokersvirus
10-01-2010, 10:45 PM
I have to agree with Samus.

I cant really add or say anything else to what samus did. Nicely done plus rep.

LiNuX
10-01-2010, 11:17 PM
This conversation seems to have steered off course.

No one is blaming anyone for not knowing religion, the survey was just a fun study feeding the people's needs for random stats, that's why I enjoyed it. I could care less who did better than the other guys or who's smarter than the guy on the left.

The article didn't draw any conclusions, it left the reader to do so and you have all done so. It probably would have been the same amount of brain tickling interesting if people were asked about science or math.

Blackleo
10-03-2010, 09:56 PM
Jews are religion minorities ? They spawned 2 other religions ! Haha ><

LiNuX
10-03-2010, 10:39 PM
Jews are religion minorities ? They spawned 2 other religions ! Haha ><

In number, they are. But Judaism will always be one of the oldest surviving religions. I remember a professor telling me there is a religion 60,000 years old somewhere in Africa. Forgot the name. Very small tribe but they are still keeping up with 60,000 year old traditions.

Linx_is_me
10-03-2010, 10:48 PM
I feel pretty confident I can answer most questions about my religion . Without any guessing .

BobTD
10-06-2010, 04:49 PM
You can only take a sample of the test, and its consisting of 6 questions. Only one of witch fooled me, and that was the one about teachers reading from the bible in school, but that because it wasn't allowed at my school. I'm sure its different by location but permitted by state.

In my school you would be given the option not to attend that class if a teacher did that.

Aniki
10-06-2010, 05:05 PM
This quiz is stupid. I'm sorry to say it like this, but it is. Most people don't know about their own religion, and other religions... jeez. I'm Christian and I got 4/6. Because in 4 of those questions they talked about the bible, and Christianism, but as soon as they started talking about Indonesia and Ramadan I got confused. I really don't need to know those things do I?

Muffincat
10-06-2010, 06:51 PM
You can only take a sample of the test, and its consisting of 6 questions. Only one of witch fooled me, and that was the one about teachers reading from the bible in school, but that because it wasn't allowed at my school. I'm sure its different by location but permitted by state.

In my school you would be given the option not to attend that class if a teacher did that.

You're allowed to read from the Bible as literature. You can study as such, but you're not allowed to be like "this is the truth and listen to it now."

The Bible is an important work of text that is referenced in many works of literature, so a teacher may, for instance, read a passage for comparison, or something like that. Are you sure that wasn't allowed at your school? Because it should be O_o

And why is everyone so down about learning about other religions? XD

Broadening your horizons is a good thing.

BobTD
10-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Some parents in my area apparently think that other cultures holy books are a negative influence and they don't want their kids exposed to other religions in school. My state is ultra conservative as well, but as a side effect all discussion that includes religion as a topic (even from a neutral standpoint) was optional, even the Christian bible.

My state does a lot of crazy things.

Evan
10-09-2010, 02:02 PM
people who don't think there is a god know more about them... which is true - im the best at r.e in my class and im a atheist