PDA

View Full Version : Auto-Aim, Coming Soon To A Real Army Near You

DirtyDMan
10-06-2010, 08:35 PM
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2010/10/500x_sniper.jpg

To compensate for the stickiness of control pads and the low resolution of televisions, video games that involve shooting have long employed the use of automatic aiming. It's a luxury about to be enjoyed by real soldiers in the field.

Last week, the U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency awarded Lockheed Martin a $6.9 million contract to continue development of the company's One-Shot Program, a research project begun in 2007 that aims to develop an advanced sniper scope that is able to calculate things like crosswinds, GPS location, range to target, temperature and even humidity and almost instantly update the sights to ensure an "automatic" kill.

Spooky stuff, but also very real; Lockeed Martin will have 15 test units ready for delivery to the US military soon, with 100 more to follow if things go well.

A very kool idea but for some reason I think this is kinda cheating in a way...

Lets just hope this doesnt fall into the wrong hands.. Like the hands of are enemies....

I wouldnt want the people that are in the forces to be in the scope of this device...

Jokersvirus
10-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Its not cheating. If we are trying to continue to fight those terrorist extremist on their ground, pretty much with their rules, we need new technology to help us out. If that is cheating I will call foul on AQ and every other terrorist.

The enemy will get ahold of this technology there is no doubt about it. It is a common belief that people who are in sleeper cells are in position of power and authority. So it wouldnt be surprising.

Jaykub
10-06-2010, 11:07 PM
That is so amazing! and no its not cheating its all about staying alive.

God bless our army.

jango
10-06-2010, 11:10 PM
It's impressive how gifted we are as humans to find new and advanced ways of killing each-other ..

.. yet .. I can never get the lid off my yoghurt without it tearing ..

LiNuX
10-06-2010, 11:34 PM
Lets just hope this doesnt fall into the wrong hands.. Like the hands of are enemies....

I'm sure our enemies feel the same way about many things.

And sooner or later, the technology will get out and everyone will eventually have it (everyone meaning other countries and groups).

EpsilonX
10-06-2010, 11:53 PM
Would this calculate the speed a target is moving

HamadaLFC8
10-07-2010, 05:23 AM
We will be the end of the world, not some natural disaster... we will sooner or later kill ourselves.

I think these guys should get banned... haha no I'm joking, but like what the hell? That's pretty awesome :P Yet I don't like Modern Warfare at all. In Medieval times you saw who was the stronger opponent, they fought face to face, you saw who was the stronger and better trained unit. Today you can sit in a bush and with enough practice you'll snipe someone from I don't know how many feet out. I'm not saying soldiers are not brave or strong or anything, I actually don't know what I'm saying but this technology thing is crazy xD

Aniki
10-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Lol this remembered me of a video I watched a while ago on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYGlWjIKoY4

Enjoy >: D

Ilyich Valken
10-07-2010, 02:47 PM
We will be the end of the world, not some natural disaster... we will sooner or later kill ourselves.

I think these guys should get banned... haha no I'm joking, but like what the hell? That's pretty awesome :P Yet I don't like Modern Warfare at all. In Medieval times you saw who was the stronger opponent, they fought face to face, you saw who was the stronger and better trained unit. Today you can sit in a bush and with enough practice you'll snipe someone from I don't know how many feet out. I'm not saying soldiers are not brave or strong or anything, I actually don't know what I'm saying but this technology thing is crazy xD

>_> Kinda contradictory don't ya think? I'd consider that a skill.

EpsilonX
10-07-2010, 07:56 PM
lol in medieval times it was who was stronger. now it's who's sneaker and can pull of headshots better

ViciousGamer04
10-07-2010, 11:48 PM
I would be worried about corrupt US citizens selling that tech to terrorists.

Jokersvirus
10-08-2010, 01:16 AM
To build upon what vicious said I would be worried about the people who have direct access to the tech to give people everything they want to completely remake it

Since money is the root of all evil and our past its possible it will happen.

Diligence109
10-08-2010, 09:32 AM
Pretty wicked... I'm not too surprised we're starting to see technology like this. As much as I'm a pacifist I'd love to try some target shooting with a gun equipped with technology like that... I'd imagine it's a bit unreal/sci-fi feeling to use.

Would this calculate the speed a target is moving

I'd imagine so, we already have the technology for tracers, right?