PDA

View Full Version : Which would you end: Poverty or Pollution?

Charlotte
11-12-2010, 02:30 AM
Two of the major problems of the world today are Poverty and Pollution. Where do you think should the world focus its resources more to solve that problem? What should be the first priority?

WobbleSock
11-12-2010, 02:59 AM
A lot of pollution is caused by developing countries where poverty is rampant; so thus stamping out poverty will by itself get rid of about 60% of pollution.

jango
11-12-2010, 03:01 AM
A lot of pollution is caused by developing countries where poverty is rampant; so thus stamping out poverty will by itself get rid of about 60% of pollution.

I went for poverty too, for almost the same reasons.

HamadaLFC8
11-12-2010, 04:28 AM
If you think about it, if you stop poverty it will increase the amount of money people would have right? Thus resulting into them buying cars, more plastic bottles, etc.... resulting in even more pollution

Iceskater101
11-12-2010, 08:53 AM
I voted for Poverty because I feel its a really big issue even though pollution is too, I just feel poverty is a bigger issue to solve
but I don't know it was a tough decision

Th3-devils-princess
11-12-2010, 10:20 AM
I voted poverty because as wobblesock and Mr Jango said wipe out one and the other decreases everyone wins :) but then I also agree with hamada wipe out poverty and you get an increase in people needing more stuff that will then cause more pollution so it a no win game! :(

insert_cliche_here
11-12-2010, 05:52 PM
I'm gonna be the black sheep and go for pollution. Poverty could be solved if people weren't so selfish and unashamedly engrained in their ways.
But then again, so could pollution.

Th3-devils-princess
11-12-2010, 07:17 PM
See it's a no win game there is always going to be both no matter what we all do :(

Charlotte
11-16-2010, 11:55 PM
As you guys should know, Poverty can be ended anytime but not Pollution. For example, the thinning of ozone layer, there is no way you can return the ozone layer back to its normal size again. So you have to act fast before it's to late. But Poverty, you can ended that anytime though.

HamadaLFC8
11-17-2010, 04:39 AM
But Poverty, you can ended that anytime though.

I don't think you can end poverty anytime... there's way too much of it on this earth at it would take a very very long time to get rid of it. In fact it's impossible, humans will always be greedy and wanting for more, so poverty will always exist. Its part of humanity.

WobbleSock
11-17-2010, 05:11 AM
In fact it's impossible, humans will always be greedy and wanting for more, so poverty will always exist. Its part of humanity.

I disagree. Humans are greedy because of what society has made us; we ironically rely on an unreliable Capitalist system to take care of us. The only way a person is valued in our society is if they are rich; if you are poor and/or homeless then you are basically nothing that will be cared for and you will have to take care of yourself.

Naturally, we don't want to have to sleep in an ally during the cold, bitter winters so we work our hardest to avoid that and at least live comfortably. However, due to the system of society in which we live in our wants tragically surpass our needs. We want more and more, regardless of how trivial or unnecessary it is. Just take a look at the houses of the successful; actors, politicians, bankers, lawyers...they overindulge themselves so much and yet that is not enough; politicians will still lie to use to try to stay in power and to gain money, lawyers will continue ruining peoples lives just to get some money out of it and actors will always...act. In the end, all we really do care about is how luxurious our lives can be, and we will never stop until we die. Society has taught us that being generous and giving to the poor will result in nothing. We have many charities, yes, but will you ever see a person of great riches giving any more than even a hundredth of their savings to help the poor & needy? No, because they think they need the money. They think they deserve more luxury, and will continue to overindulge themselves.

Society itself has made us the greedy, ungrateful twats that we are. We consume more than we need, and give very little in return. We do not work for our fellow man; we work for ourselves and we don't care how many people have to live in poverty if we at least live in luxury. Society has sculpted our lives like this.

If we can change the way we live, then over time our way of life and thinking will change too. I am not saying it could happen in a few years, it may even take thousands of years to undo what this pig-system has done to mankind but it could work. A very wise man once said "From each according to their ability, to each according to their need", and that is the quote I live by.

HamadaLFC8
11-17-2010, 06:18 AM
Well that's an excellent point you made there... respect

WobbleSock
11-17-2010, 11:27 PM
Thanks Hamada, it took me a while to collect my thoughts and to put them in one post lol.

EpsilonX
12-31-2010, 08:25 PM
Poverty. Pollution is like eh, okay. There's pollution. It's bad, but it's not going to make your life completely miserable. I can't even imagine being impoverished.

Ilyich Valken
12-31-2010, 09:19 PM
Poverty. Pollution is like eh, okay. There's pollution. It's bad, but it's not going to make your life completely miserable. I can't even imagine being impoverished.

Plus, get rid of poverty, and there's more of a chance people would be more willing to spend money to help clean up polution.

Epic.girl
01-04-2011, 12:19 AM
i vote pollution cuz in my opinion is more dangerous to us since its affect some of ppls health and it will be causing more natural disasters that will affect ppl in poverty. If we stop poverty wil be nice but pollution will make worse and if some natural disasters hit us hard (like hurricanes do in Puerto Rico sometimes) ppl can go back to poverty. Is my though

Jayhmmz
01-04-2011, 05:45 AM
I will go for Pollution. If you solve Poverty and the world then gets *****ed over more so by Pollution, then what was the point in solving Poverty issues? Get rid of Pollution first, and then Poverty. Although I suppose, if you had more people (taking them out of Poverty) then you have, potentially, a bigger force to battle Polution with - it's really 50/50 and a personal preference.

It all boils down to this -

If a homeless person steals your last Malteser, you solve Polution.
If Polution steals your last Malteser, you solve Poverty.

...personal preference!

BlackPhazor
01-13-2011, 08:49 PM
Poverty. I feel like poverty is a bit more of an important issue, and if we can solve poverty, that in turn will make people more likely to use some money to help with pollution.

Polishkid
01-13-2011, 09:16 PM
i picked pollution because the pollution of this world will never stop because of major industry but poverty can fix itself if we did not have corrupt government officials

Project Blaze
01-13-2011, 10:14 PM
It seems like we're all already tearing ourselves apart as the human race, nearly to the point of no return (at least from my perspective). But pollution will eventually kill everything on the planet. Maybe our time is just up, I don't know, but it just seems like everyone's losing control and have been for a while now. So, with that I'll vote for pollution. As difficult of a choice that is.

Exentenzed
02-04-2011, 02:15 AM
Pollution, no point in solving poverty if we are all dead because of severe pollution. (Rather long term answer, but still.)

Raoul
02-04-2011, 02:48 AM
Pollution, no point in solving poverty if we are all dead because of severe pollution. (Rather long term answer, but still.)

Lol I agree with you there with the pollution part that must get really less yoh a person is dying of this pollution in the atmosphere:lipsrsealed:

insert_cliche_here
02-04-2011, 08:17 AM
If we all went vegan we could probably end both :D