PDA

View Full Version : Video card support

Jokersvirus
11-24-2010, 10:31 AM
Ok Im looking for a video card for my computer and I need some help.

Im looking for a low profile that isnt above 250 watts. I got a "Micro" computer as it was defined by my brother and geek squad.

Yes, its small and out of date.

My brother has been looking and no luck as of yet.

This is what I found: Zotac ZT-84MEG5M-HSL GeForce 8400 GS Video Card - 256MB DDR2, PCI Express, DVI, VGA, HDMI, Low Profile at TigerDirect.com (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6642145&CatId=3585)

Another question is it say no external power source and what not and does not give wattage needed by the computer to run it.

So can anyone give some advice or point me in the right direction?

LiNuX
11-24-2010, 10:42 AM
A micro computer? what are the case dimensions?

And how much wattage does your PSU give out do you know? Most GPUs won't even get close to 250 watts, Most CPUs won't even do it unless you use like 3 at the same time on the same motherboard.

Jokersvirus
11-24-2010, 10:47 AM
Im not sure about the dimensions, been looking around and they dont seem to give it out and im getting a serious headache trying to even deal with dell right now.

what is psu? and im not really sure how much wattage is given out in general.

This situation truly sucks. from all al i can tell I have to go buy a new computer just to play one game that is complete crap >.O

LiNuX
11-24-2010, 11:53 AM
well if it's a small computer, you have to make sure there is room for it on the motherboard and case so you might have to measure things manually (ruler ftw).

And PSU is power source unit - the thing that provides the power. And if you have the computer's model or service number, you should be able to look up the stuff online.

Jokersvirus
11-25-2010, 12:36 AM
Well, My brother convinced my dad to give me my moms computer to upgrade so I can play can video games.

So now its just a matter of money, and 90% of my x-mas will go towards that. I dont mind, but thanks for the responses linux

LiNuX
11-25-2010, 10:42 AM
You're welcome :) hope your mom's pc is better.

Also if you're upgrades will cost more than $500 (not sure exactly what's going into it) then I'd just recommend you save the money for a custom build. You'll have newer parts and a much faster pc than any upgrade.

Just thought I'd add that in because I have a friend who spent about $700 upgrading his old PC because he didn't know a new build would have been cheaper.

Jokersvirus
11-25-2010, 11:46 AM
Nah the parts I need is a new video card which will run about 60 bucks and ram is on sell for 18 bucks a stick and i think im getting 2 or 3 sticks so im happy.