PDA

View Full Version : Husband arrested for reading ex-wife's email.

Jokersvirus
12-29-2010, 03:23 PM
Detroit, Michigan, computer technician Leon Walker faces a jury trial in February for allegedly hacking into his then-wife's e-mail account.
"She'd asked me to read her e-mails before," Walker said in an interview this week. "She gave me the password before. She didn't hide it."
Walker says the e-mails revealed that Clara Walker, who has been married three times, was having an affair with her second husband.
Walker, the third husband, shared the documents with his wife's first husband, who then used them to file an emergency motion to obtain custody of his son with Clara Walker. Leon Walker said he and the first husband were both concerned because, according to Walker, husband No. 2 had been previously arrested on a domestic violence charge.
"He took action with the courts to have himself protected and I took action with the court to have my daughter protected," Walker said.
hen Clara Walker learned how the e-mails made their way into court, she complained to police.
Oakland County, Michigan, Prosecutor Jessica Cooper used a state anti-hacking law to charge Leon Walker with a felony.
Cooper did not immediately respond to CNN calls for comment, but the Detroit Free Press published a voice-mail from her.
"The guy is a hacker," Cooper told the newspaper. "It was password protected, he had wonderful skills, and was highly trained. Then he downloaded them and used them in a very contentious way."
The Michigan statute forbids someone from accessing "a computer program, computer, computer system or computer network" to acquire property "without authorization."
New York criminal defense lawyer Paul Callan said all 50 U.S. states have such laws, but he called this "a highly unusual use of a criminal statute."
The laws are typically used to prosecute "some technological guy who's broken into a company's computer system and damaged it or stolen something," Callan said.
Leon Walker's defense lawyer agreed.
"I find it so hard to believe that our legislature would enact a law and say 'You know what, if husbands and wives are reading each others' e-mail, that's a priority for us and we've got to stop that,'" attorney Leon Weiss said.
Walker said his decision to peek into his wife's e-mail account was like someone kicking in a door to save someone from a burning house.
"Do you kick the door open or do you let it burn?" Walker said. "I did what I felt was absolutely necessary."
Clara Walker's public silence on the matter could soon change, her lawyer told CNN.
"Given the inaccuracies and spin Mr. Walker has put on the story, I think she is prepared to perhaps talk to the media," attorney Michael McCulloch said.
The couple's divorce was finalized in December.

This is an interesting article, He is in some big trouble now his facing a felony for reading her email. He isnt justify to read her email she might have said, according to him, he had permission in the past but now he didnt. If he believed so much that she was cheating he could have figured it out in a different manner instead of accessing her email without her permission.

leica
12-29-2010, 05:08 PM
yep, just as illegal as reading someone's irlmail
about a month ago the courts ruled that cops also need warrants to read peoples email

jango
12-29-2010, 05:27 PM
yep, just as illegal as reading someone's irlmail
about a month ago the courts ruled that cops also need warrants to read peoples email

Funnily enough in the UK mail (or as we call it 'post') is the property of the Queen until it arrives at its destination, so if anyone tampers with it they're committing an offense which comes under the umbrella of 'treason' .. lol .....

But anyway .. aye .. I can't find myself caring much about this news story if I'm honest hehe :)

Jokersvirus
12-29-2010, 05:38 PM
Funnily enough in the UK mail (or as we call it 'post') is the property of the Queen until it arrives at its destination, so if anyone tampers with it they're committing an offense which comes under the umbrella of 'treason' .. lol .....

But anyway .. aye .. I can't find myself caring much about this news story if I'm honest hehe :)

Out of curiosity how is it the property of the Queen till it arrives at its destination?

Treason for tampering with mail is just wow >.>

jango
12-29-2010, 05:41 PM
Out of curiosity how is it the property of the Queen till it arrives at its destination?

Treason for tampering with mail is just wow >.>

Our postal service is called the Royal Mail .. there's your biggest clue :p

And it comes under the 'umbrella' of treason .. not the literal version of treason that first comes to mind.

Jokersvirus
12-29-2010, 05:50 PM
Ahh, :P Thanks for explaining mr jango.

Dess
12-29-2010, 07:18 PM
Lawl... I know someone who needs thrown in jail.

Jokersvirus
12-29-2010, 07:42 PM
Here is a question for you and i am interested in the responses.

At school I am using the school's network in order to access the internet. Lets say out of the blue the school changes its internet policy to state they can access email at anytime no matter the situation.

Would that be allowed or would that be illegal on their part.

To throw in my two cents. As they do set the rules they can do that but I dont think it would be fair or right, or even legal in my book to do such a thing because as long as someone isnt committing illegal acts through email, they shouldnt be allowed to access it. I think that would be an invasion of privacy and by doing that im pretty sure the students would try and set up their own networks so they can have more privacy.

Dess
12-29-2010, 07:48 PM
Here's the thing....

At work.. I have an e-mail through them that I am only allowed to use for work purposes.
They OWN that e-mail address.. it just happens to be in my name. They pay for it, they create the passwords for it... it just has my name tagged on to it. They have legal right to that e-mail because legally it is theirs. However, they have no rights to my own personal e-mail that I created for my own use.

I think it would be somewhat the same as school. If they were to provide you with a school issued e-mail.. which most do... then they can get into it, they pay for the service... My school has access to my school e-mail, just like work has access to my company e-mail. But if you're talking about your own personal e-mail... just because you're using their network... no. It'd be like McDonald's or Starbucks saying they're going go through your stuff just because you're using their wireless.

*shrug*

jango
12-29-2010, 07:48 PM
@Joker ..

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they have the right to do it .. and mostly automatically through scanning - i doubt they make a point of it unless it's flagged. Also, it wouldn't be a surprise if they have something in terms of 'subject to change' in their legal docs too.

LiNuX
12-29-2010, 08:57 PM
Technically, you don't own the files you download onto these computers or the email accounts you use as damage pointed out.

Any network owner can scan through the files and emails being transmitted through it. Same goes for school computers. They can look at the websites you visited or the emails you sent/received with the excuse of looking for something malicious. When you start going to the school or start work at a new job, you enter into an agreement with the school/company that you will not do anything bad/illegal with school/company property. And they literally hold you to it.

I know for a fact that if you have a federal job in the US, that this is the case. Everything you transmit and receive is monitored and you have to assume that you have no privacy. But I know each state, city, company, school, etc, can make up their own rules so what I just said is definitely not universal. Just speaking from personal experience.

Jokersvirus
12-29-2010, 09:35 PM
My school newspaper is very dirty, meaning that they will go to any length to get a story, if my school was collecting information about emails sent in and out could that be used by the school newspaper or could a person sue the school for doing such acts?

This hasnt happened i am just curious and like playing the what if game

LiNuX
12-29-2010, 09:44 PM
My school newspaper is very dirty, meaning that they will go to any length to get a story, if my school was collecting information about emails sent in and out could that be used by the school newspaper or could a person sue the school for doing such acts?

This hasnt happened i am just curious and like playing the what if game

No they can't do that. You could sue the school and anyone who wrote the article.

The school can only use the information for their own administrative action and they are supposed to keep things discrete. Any personal info leaked is a public violation of privacy. Even though you assume that you have no privacy, that's only with the school. Your classmates and everyone else on campus has no right to view what's in your email. Only your network admins and who ever else may be in charge.

Dess
12-29-2010, 09:50 PM
Not to mention most school papers are ran by students. Students... Who shouldnt have access to anyone elses accounts. The only people who have access to my email and files are administrators and owners. Like my GM or regional. None of my co-workers have access to my files or email.

leica
12-30-2010, 12:11 AM
They are allowed to do it's in their terms of service. If they own the account, that is.

edit: oh hey, a whole 'nother page that i missed which makes this kinda non-sequitur

chibimel
12-30-2010, 04:24 PM
that's kinda stupid.
if they were husband and wife and he read her email on suspicions .. he should have every right to do so. she gave up the right to that "privacy" luxury the day she said "i do"..

just my opinion.. then again i believe in what the bible says about marriage // that there is no more his/hers things anymore, they become one and there should be no secrets.

assuming of course that they were still married when he hacked into her account.. i didnt quite get the timing of the event.. if they were already divorced (which i think now that i read it AGAIN) it is against the law and it serves him right. if not.. my argument above still stands.

Jokersvirus
12-30-2010, 04:58 PM
the lawyer for the husband kinda made funn of the lawmakers for this law.

leica
12-30-2010, 07:20 PM
he should have every right to do so. she gave up the right to that "privacy" luxury the day she said "i do".. now if that was actually the case we'd have thousands of enraged feminists burning **** down

Dess
12-30-2010, 07:43 PM
Eh.. married or not... you should just ask instead of going through their stuff. I have hundreds of journals that my (soon to be ex) husband knows better than to touch. If there are parts of my life I wanted him to know I would tell him... and he knows if he ever wanted to know he could just ask.

LiNuX
12-30-2010, 10:15 PM
technically, it's about individual privacy. Marriage really doesn't have anything to do with it. The only exception is a dependency status. If you're dependent on someone else (legally speaking), then the person that supports you can open your mail/email without a problem. The excuse there would be that you're looking out for the well being of the dependent.

That's not the case in marriages. When you file taxes as a married couple, you're both listed as individuals and you both have dependents (if any). No spouse is usually listed as a dependent UNLESS there is some actual physical dependency, like a person being in a coma or with a mental illness.

Charlotte
12-31-2010, 12:53 AM
The dude is hacking. That's is just a criminal.
If someone reading my email without my permission, I will call the police. :P