PDA

View Full Version : monitor issue

Jokersvirus
12-31-2010, 09:50 PM
Ever since i got my new video card my monitor seems to screw up a little bit from time to time. Im not entirely sure how to describe it but the screen shakes very slightly when its over text its all screwed up.

My dad said it had something to do with the refresh rate thats why it shakes slightly but I have it maxed out on refresh, It was at 60 hertz now its at 75 and it still does this.

Any suggestions?

LiNuX
12-31-2010, 09:57 PM
Update your graphics drivers if it's not the latest. And download speedfan or a similar software and look at the graphics card to see if it's overheating.

I had a card a few years ago that had similar symptoms to yours. It turned out that the gpu was overheating and eventually it just failed.

Also if you can, use another computer with the monitor. Also Make sure all cables are plugged in properly and securely.

Aizen
12-31-2010, 10:04 PM
Ive got the same issue with my HD5770... It only does it sometimes, but when it does, it is super annoying. If you find a fix, let me know.

Jokersvirus
12-31-2010, 10:10 PM
i just updated my drivers about two weeks ago before my x-mas break, and now there is a new update...

and ive downloaded speedfan i will post results shortly.

edit: according to NVIDIA I have the latest drivers for my card

Im looking at speedfan right now and it says "GPU 40C"

LiNuX
12-31-2010, 10:13 PM
You should also keep note of what you're doing when the symptoms show.

Jokersvirus
12-31-2010, 10:27 PM
Best guess linux what do you think is going on?

If I had to take a shot I would say it gets hot from time to time or its getting overloaded by how much crap i having running at a time.

out of curiosity would virtual memory help my video card?

LiNuX
12-31-2010, 10:42 PM
Best guess is overheating - and that's from experience. But it could be a factor of things.

Like today, I fixed my server that went down yesterday. The main problem was a faulty CPU fan. but it was working, but connection to the mobo was bad. Took me about 16 hours of work to figure it out and for most of the 16 hours I've been blaming the RAM, CPU, and GPU.

So it really could be anything.

Jokersvirus
12-31-2010, 11:30 PM
I think it might just be World of Warcraft.

It pretty much only occurs while im playing it, but its annoying, my system is working fine its just my ADD wont let this damn thing drop.

Aizen
12-31-2010, 11:50 PM
What graphics level do you have WoW set to?

Jokersvirus
12-31-2010, 11:54 PM
Low, I did some screwing around, giggity, with my monitor and the resolution I had it on wasnt the best setting to run it at. So i increased it to 1400x900.

since I did that the shaking stopped. Hmm, kinda funny how a problem can have such a simple overlooked solution. This is one of the reason I wouldnt be good in computers, I would overlook the obvious and have a complete melt down.