PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P Major Richard D. Winters

Jayhmmz
01-10-2011, 07:56 AM
Major Richard D. Winters (January 21, 1918 - January 2, 2011)

If you do not know of Winters and his life, then I can honestly say I am shocked and some what disappointed in you. Try and make the effort to read up about what he done, or at least watch Band of Brothers to get a basic idea.

What a fine example of a man. A true war hero. He epitomises what man should be. When I heard this news last night, I actually couldn't sleep for hours, it bothered me that such a man could pass away. It was playing over and over again in my head.

Reports say he died of Parkinson's disease on 2nd January, and a private funeral service was held for him, as requested by Winters himself, for his close friends and family to attend. However, there will be a public memorial service announced for him at a later date by his family - I will definitely be attending if it is possible!

Winters was humble about his actions and general service in the war, despite him being formally recognised for his achievements. These awards included:

-Distinguished Service Cross
-Bronze Star x2
-Purple Heart
-Presidential Unit Citation
-American Defense Service Medal
-National Defense Service Medal
-European Campaign Medal
-World War II Victory Medal
-Army of Occupation Medal
-Croix De Guerre
-French Liberation Medal
-Oorlogskruis
-Belgian World War II Service Medal
-Good Conduct Medal

-Combat Infantryman Badge
-Parachutist Badge

He finished his Military career as a Major of Easy Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment of the 101st Airborne Division. He was a natural born leader and a solid tactician which helped E/Coy's efforts greatly throughout the European Theatre of War. His men had full confidence in him, and never, ever doubted him.

One of his friends, Sergeant Floyd Talbert, wrote a letter to Winters after the war, here is a quote from this letter:

“You are to me the greatest soldier I could ever hope to meet… I would follow you into hell.”

On the mini series Band of Brothers which I love to bits, Winters quoted a passage from a letter he received from Sergeant Mike Ranney:

"I cherish the memories of a question my grandson asked me the other day when he said, 'Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?' Grandpa said 'No… but I served in a company of heroes…'"

Always chokes me up when I watch him quote that.

Winters promised himself that he would buy a patch of land and lead a peaceful life on a farm; he did just that, however with the book written by Stephen E. Ambrose and the mini-series forementioned, Band of Brothers, it wasn't a fully peaceful life. With these releases came more fame, but I think it done the world a lot of good for the newer generation of man to know of Winters' achievements and characteristics. Winters epitomises what Man should be and aspire to be.

May you Rest in Peace, Richard, a true hero and an incredible example of a human being.

Jokersvirus
01-10-2011, 09:14 AM
Hmm, he has done alot for this country and his family should be extremely proud of him, Ive never heard his name till you bought it up.

May he RIP.

Dark~Angel74
01-10-2011, 08:06 PM
I almost cried when I heard he had passed away. I remember watching band of brothers for the first time several years ago and although I'm not much into war movies I love what easy company stood for and the comradery that they had for each other is hard to come by. I have the movie, their books, and have yet to find a bottle of Vat 69 to add to my collection. Although my favorite one will always be Lt Spears and his balls of steel (Anyone who has seen the movie will agree with me on that one). I will agree Major Winters is indeed a true war hero.

R.I.P Major Winters

You will never be forgotten

Jayhmmz
01-10-2011, 08:08 PM
Speirs is amazing for what he done in Foy especially. I also love the actor who played him in Band of Brothers. I still can't get over Winters passing away though :(

Dark~Angel74
01-10-2011, 08:17 PM
Yeah, I'm sitting here watching Currahee as I type this

Jayhmmz
01-10-2011, 08:19 PM
Awesommmme! :D I have Band of Brothers DVD, Band of Brothers Blu-Ray and The Pacific Blu-Ray all snuggled up proudly together on my shelf ^_^

Dark~Angel74
01-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Dang I don't have pacific... I'm slacking

Jayhmmz
01-10-2011, 08:25 PM
:O It looks incredible on Blu-Ray, you must!

Jaykub
01-10-2011, 10:06 PM
This dude was a total badass.

RIP