PDA

View Full Version : I got a kindle!

BobTD
01-15-2011, 11:11 PM
http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/485/kindle.png

yay, it reads to meeeeeee =D

it was like $180 with the 1 year extended insurance, and the only real down side is that it has no backlight. In trade its real easy to read in direct sunlight, has a battery that can last a month on a single charge (when the wireless is off) and I can surf the web with it and download any public domain works or pdf... like D&D books or warhammer codexs lol.

Its actually handy for throwing rules on this thing for complicated tabletop games and easily searching through 260 pages for terms and rule clarifications.

Price was a little steep but as well as playing audio books it has an experimental text to speak feature that can read to you, allowing you to change the voice and adjust the speed it reads at.

I plan to use this while playing MMOs or more drawn out games like civ or sim games.

Diligence109
01-15-2011, 11:17 PM
haha most excellent... I'm glad you're pleased with your new purchase, at the least! I'm amused at the ways you intend to use it... have it read to you while you're busy with some game :P

no doubt, sacrificing the backlight is what enables it that month long battery life... my dad got a nook (same thing, different name; as far as I can tell) and it seems pretty neat!

LiNuX
01-16-2011, 01:00 AM
I see tons of people using them in the subway and buses around here.

What impresses me is the month long battery. That's longer than my bluetooth headset even when I don't use it (battery drains out in 2-3 weeks).

EpsilonX
01-16-2011, 01:11 AM
no doubt, sacrificing the backlight is what enables it that month long battery life... my dad got a nook (same thing, different name; as far as I can tell) and it seems pretty neat!

I wouldn't call it a sacrifice though, it's meant to look and read like a piece of paper, not a screen. paper typically doesn't light up or have a glare, unless its gloss paper but thats a different story

Jayhmmz
01-16-2011, 07:30 AM
I really wanted one of these, I went to ask for one for Christmas, but I decided against it. You just can't beat a book :) I just love them, the cover art and just the feel of it; it would be weird holding a tablet.

W1CKEDTW1STED
01-16-2011, 07:32 AM
I was originally going to get my wife one of these, then she saw the iPad and all went down hill from there. :p

I'm impressed by the month long battery too. Definitely BA. :D

Jayhmmz
01-16-2011, 07:33 AM
The battery life is rather impressive indeed. I was gunna get my Dad one too, but he thinks the same as me :P We're boring!

BobTD
01-16-2011, 08:01 PM
I wouldn't call it a sacrifice though, it's meant to look and read like a piece of paper, not a screen. paper typically doesn't light up or have a glare, unless its gloss paper but thats a different story

It does look a lot like paper. Im not sure how my screen works but some of them look exactly like paper by using rolling balls with black on one side and white on the other. Mine is close enough.

Also, I should add that mine is only wifi enabled. It would have been $40 more to get the 3G + wifi model but Im never really not around a wifi network, and im pretty sure I could download enough books to keep me busy for a while from home.