#5 elder scrolls oblivion
#6 dragon age
#7 .hack infection
#8 star wars: Kotor
#9 baldurs gate
#10 tales of vesperia

BobTD
01-17-2011, 01:11 PM
Haha, I like that Diablo2 is up there on your list. Its really hard for me to narrow down the list when you leave it so open, because you have a mix of traditional RPGs and action RPGs. So I will make several mirrored lists to contrast the genre:

(PC) = what systems I have the game on

Traditional RPGS

Pokemon! (GBC)
FFV (SNES)
Legend of Dragoon (PS1)
Super Mario RPG (SNES)
Fallout 1&2 (PC)
Eschalon (PC)
KOTOR (PC)
Lunar Silver Star Harmony (PSP)
Grandia 1&2 (DC)
Dragon Warrior 1&2 (GBC)

Action RPGS

Diablo 1&2 (PC)
Mass Effect 1&2 (360)
(arguably) Monster hunter (PS2, PSP, Wii)
Oblivion (360)
Fallout 3 (360)
Morrowind (360)
Fantasy Star online (DC)
Fable (Xbox)
Chaos Legion (PS2)
Champions of Norrath (PS2)

Tactical RPG:

Final Tantasy Tactics (PS1, PSP)
Fire Emblem (GBA)
Fallout Tactics (PC)
Front mission 3&4 (PS1/2)
Advance wars (GBA)
Jean D'Ark (PSP)
R type command (PSP)
Dofus (PC)
Onimusha tactics (GBA)
Tactics Ogre (PS1)

EpsilonX
01-17-2011, 01:41 PM
Haha, I like that Diablo2 is up there on your list. Its really hard for me to narrow down the list when you leave it so open, because you have a mix of traditional RPGs and action RPGs. So I will make several mirrored lists to contrast the genre:

(PC) = what systems I have the game on

Traditional RPGS

Pokemon! (GBC)
FFV (SNES)
Legend of Dragoon (PS1)
Super Mario RPG (SNES)
Fallout 1&2 (PC)
Eschalon (PC)
KOTOR (PC)
Lunar Silver Star Harmony (PSP)
Grandia 1&2 (DC)
Dragon Warrior 1&2 (GBC)

Action RPGS

Diablo 1&2 (PC)
Mass Effect 1&2 (360)
(arguably) Monster hunter (PS2, PSP, Wii)
Oblivion (360)
Fallout 3 (360)
Morrowind (360)
Fantasy Star online (DC)
Fable (Xbox)
Chaos Legion (PS2)
Champions of Norrath (PS2)

Tactical RPG:

Final Tantasy Tactics (PS1, PSP)
Fire Emblem (GBA)
Fallout Tactics (PC)
Front mission 3&4 (PS1/2)
Advance wars (GBA)
Jean D'Ark (PSP)
R type command (PSP)
Dofus (PC)
Onimusha tactics (GBA)
Tactics Ogre (PS1)

1. Chaos Legion is an RPG? lolwat?

2. go post some suggestions in my RPG topic.

BobTD
01-17-2011, 01:47 PM
1. Chaos Legion is an RPG? lolwat?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_Legion

On the right hand side you will find is genre description as an Action-adventure, Action RPG game. Im sure Im often wrong on a number of things, but you have to try pretty hard to spot mistakes when Im talking about video games. =P

True Gamers League
01-17-2011, 06:37 PM
My top RPG is
#1 Final Fantasy 8
#2 Final Fantasy 7
#3 chrono trigger
#4 elder scrolls morrowind
#6 dragon age
#7 .hack infection
#9 baldurs gate
#10 tales of vesperia

Polishkid
01-17-2011, 08:13 PM
My top RPG is
#1 Final Fantasy 8
#2 Final Fantasy 7
#3 chrono trigger
#6 dragon age
#7 .hack infection
#9 baldurs gate
#10 tales of vesperia

you just copied my list and added final fantasy 7 lol and took out diablo 2... lol thats awesome

Djdoubt03
01-18-2011, 12:48 AM
So Fallout 3 or New Vagas is not considered a RPG? They should be top of the list.

Raoul
01-18-2011, 01:35 AM
Dragon Age Origin\Awakening
Fable 1
Fabe 2
Gothic 3
Diablo 1 and 2\Lord of destruction
Fallout 3
Fallout New Vegas
Grandia 1 and 2
Final Fantasy 8
Mass Effect 1 and 2

:cheesy::cheesy:These are the first 10 that came to my mind that I really enjoyed playing:p

elgms
01-18-2011, 10:17 AM
Some of the first ones that come to mind are

Diablo I
Diablo II
Sacred
Fallout 3
Everquest
Daggerfall
Borderlands
Titan Quest Immortal Throne

Polishkid
01-18-2011, 10:26 AM
man ill add fable 1 to my list in the place of tales of vesperia

HiTechSavvy
01-18-2011, 02:56 PM
1. Vagrant Story
2. The Legend of Dragoon
3. FFVII
4. Champions of Norath
5. Dark Alliance 1
6. Dark Alliance 2
7. Parasite Eve
8. Borderlands
9. Runescape (It was pretty good...for awhile)
10. FFVIII

Theres so many other games that I would list, but due to the limit being only 10 I had to narrow it down alot :D

BobTD
01-18-2011, 05:32 PM
Im playing through fable 1 again right now to try to decide where it belongs on my list.

Raoul
01-19-2011, 01:28 AM
I wish I can play Fable 1 again someone sat on my Fable cd and so it broke in pieces:'(so now I don't have Fable 1 anymore

Project Blaze
01-19-2011, 11:50 AM
Errmmm.. I can't really think of 10 of 'em. lolz But I'll list as many az I can!

1: Final Fantasy VII
2: Final Fantasy VIII
3: Final Fantasy X
4: Final Fantasy X-2

I think that'z all that comez to mind right now. lolz I luvz FF!!! ^_^

Flab-Ender
01-19-2011, 07:05 PM
what is everyones time 10 RPG games.... mine are

#1 diablo 2
#2 Final fantasy 8
#3 chrono trigger
#6 dragon age
#7 .hack infection
#9 baldurs gate
#10 tales of vesperia

Morrowind is better than Oblivion you think?

Project Blaze
01-19-2011, 09:59 PM
1. Vagrant Story
2. The Legend of Dragoon
3. FFVII
4. Champions of Norath
5. Dark Alliance 1
6. Dark Alliance 2
7. Parasite Eve
8. Borderlands
9. Runescape (It was pretty good...for awhile)
10. FFVIII

Theres so many other games that I would list, but due to the limit being only 10 I had to narrow it down alot :D

Oh yea, I completely spaced out Vagrant Story! ^_^

Raoul
01-24-2011, 04:34 AM
Parasite EVE 1 and 2 those two games are awesome I really loved playing these games

TRUFFLE
01-30-2011, 04:52 AM
Fallout is the best to me

Raoul
01-31-2011, 02:31 AM
Fallout is the best to me

Yeah that's true fallout is beyond awesome I really enjoy playing fallout I am playing fallout 3 and fallout new vegas lol:cheesy::cheesy:

FormerGamer
02-12-2011, 12:01 AM
you just copied my list and added final fantasy 7 lol and took out diablo 2... lol thats awesome

My respects to anyone who ranks FF8 highly. Unfortunately I don't think I have played 10 RPGs lol. I will list my FF rankings instead.

1. FFVIII
2. Skies of Arcadia
2. FFX
3. FFX-2
4. FFVII
5. FFIX

Mine
02-15-2011, 10:05 AM
Do you really consider Borderlands a RPG? I know it has elements, but I don't consider it an RPG. I would also argue that Parasite Eve isn't an RPG either. Anyway, here's my list.
#1 diablo 2
#2 Final fantasy 7
#3 chrono trigger
#4 Final Fantasy 6 (or 3)
#6 dragon age
#7 baldurs gate
#8 xeno gears
#9 DDR
#10 DragonQuest IV

only one can claim best facebook status (http://www.postrandomonium.com)

paecmaker
02-15-2011, 02:18 PM
Great lists everybody.

heres my list

1 mass effect1/2
2 fallout 3
3 fallout2
4 oblivion
5 morrowind
6 fable 3
7 dragon age
8 (Some game for, I think its nintendo nes) Your first enemy is bubbles.
9 alpha protocol
10 kotor

These games is in no order I love them all equally.

Project Blaze
02-15-2011, 03:22 PM
My respects to anyone who ranks FF8 highly. Unfortunately I don't think I have played 10 RPGs lol. I will list my FF rankings instead.

1. FFVIII
2. Skies of Arcadia
2. FFX
3. FFX-2
4. FFVII
5. FFIX
It's been a while since I've played it, but that was probably the first game I ever played on the PS1, followed by going backwards and playing VII after it. But VIII is one of the greatest FFs out there, at least in my view. ^_^ So many memories come to mind when playing it. ^_^

Now I feel like playing that one. lol

Mordry
02-16-2011, 04:59 AM
My List:

1.Gothic 1
2.Gothic 2
3.The Elder Scrolls Oblivion
4.Mass Effect 2
5.Risen
6.Mass Effect 1
7.Vampires Dawn
8.Vampires Dawn 2
9.Eternal Legends
10.Fable-The Lost Chapters

I don't play RPGs that much, I like action adventures like Darksiders or Legend of Zelda a little bit more.

Raoul
02-16-2011, 05:18 AM
My List:

1.Gothic 1
2.Gothic 2
3.The Elder Scrolls Oblivion
4.Mass Effect 2
5.Risen
6.Mass Effect 1
7.Vampires Dawn
8.Vampires Dawn 2
9.Eternal Legends
10.Gothic 3 (of course with patches)

I don't play RPGs that much, I like action adventures like Darksiders or Legend of Zelda a little bit more.

Shame what about the Fable Series how can you forget about them:(THat's actually really sad

Mordry
02-16-2011, 12:43 PM
Shame what about the Fable Series how can you forget about them:(THat's actually really sad

Sorry, at the beginning I wanted to replace Gothic 3 with Fable-The Lost Chapters, I will edit it now.:( I hope the PC-Version of Fable 3 will be released soon.

Raoul
02-17-2011, 04:02 AM
Sorry, at the beginning I wanted to replace Gothic 3 with Fable-The Lost Chapters, I will edit it now.:( I hope the PC-Version of Fable 3 will be released soon.

Lol it's all good astleast you love Fable I forgive you:cheesy:. The PC version will be released soon we jus waiting for them for the game and then we fable lovers will all have that game.:D

Saph
03-28-2011, 07:35 PM
Ew just no, Diablo? Come on! Be unique for a second, that game is so much liked that it ends up sucking. It's like if you're trying to be yourself and everyone suddenly dresses like you, it's maddening!

My list goes as follows:

1) The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
2) Amnesia: The Dark Descent(sort of RPG/Horror)
3) World of Warcraft
4) Fallout 3
5) Everquest II
6) Fable III
7) Fallout: New Vegas
8 ) Thief: The Dark Project
9) Aion Online
10) Matrix Online

Bioware fans might be screaming "WHERES MY ME2!? WHERES MY DAO!?" Well to be honest you guys, I don't consider those games RPGs at all. I know you can obtain and sell equipment etc. etc., but to be honest with you, it is more of an Action Strategy game, than an RPG.

DAO has for example loads of invisible barriers that pretty much feel like the games storyline has a death grip on your hand and guides you through the whole game, the "Do not stray!" phrase takes on a whole new meaning in DAO. Seriously, a game here the idea of exploration is seeing little bloody specs on a map trailing the paths from 1 section to another? Come on!

DAO also has a poor attempt at seeming more 'released' as in not so confined, yet here it also fails. For example, you can pick your origin, which in the beginning seems REALLY cool, make your own story instead of following some half assed game devs idea, right? Well it doesn't deliver what it promisses. The whole Origins thing, the thing the game is NAMED after, pretty much fades into the background after your tutorial time is over, and you get 'released' into the world. The game was for me only interresting during the origins section, once you reverted to the same old same old storyline afterwards? I stopped playing. Don't get me wrong, I finished the game, you can't really write about a game that you didn't finish.

DAO is just all around, not an RPG to me, and as such, it's not on my list.

And ME2? futuristic call of duty.

EpsilonX
03-28-2011, 07:45 PM
Bioware fans might be screaming "WHERES MY ME2!? WHERES MY DAO!?" Well to be honest you guys, I don't consider those games RPGs at all. I know you can obtain and sell equipment etc. etc., but to be honest with you, it is more of an Action Strategy game, than an RPG.

DAO has for example loads of invisible barriers that pretty much feel like the games storyline has a death grip on your hand and guides you through the whole game, the "Do not stray!" phrase takes on a whole new meaning in DAO. Seriously, a game here the idea of exploration is seeing little bloody specs on a map trailing the paths from 1 section to another? Come on!

DAO also has a poor attempt at seeming more 'released' as in not so confined, yet here it also fails. For example, you can pick your origin, which in the beginning seems REALLY cool, make your own story instead of following some half assed game devs idea, right? Well it doesn't deliver what it promisses. The whole Origins thing, the thing the game is NAMED after, pretty much fades into the background after your tutorial time is over, and you get 'released' into the world. The game was for me only interresting during the origins section, once you reverted to the same old same old storyline afterwards? I stopped playing. Don't get me wrong, I finished the game, you can't really write about a game that you didn't finish.

DAO is just all around, not an RPG to me, and as such, it's not on my list.

And ME2? futuristic call of duty.

i'm going to have to respectfully disagree. Final Fantasy 13 was WAY more linear than Dragon Age Origins, as are most J-RPG's, but those are still a form of RPG, which proves that a game can be an RPG yet still be linear. Just because Dragon age is a bit straightforward in the plot, the character customization is there, and while it's not as in depth as in a game like...oblivion...you can still customize. I kind of thought of DAO as sort of a mix between FF12 and Diablo 2. But the fact that you create your own character and play the role of him, while leveling the character and it's stats up qualifies it as an RPG. I haven't played Mass Effect, but as far as I can tell it's basically Dragon Age with guns instead of swords and magic.

Your list tends to gravitate more towards open-world games with high level of customization, however, so I understand your point of view.

Saph
03-28-2011, 09:25 PM
Well see take for example Oblivion, lots of nice gear ranging from Iron to Glass, and further, if you install the patches and the expansions, for not to mention fan made stuff!

Compare this to DAO, which has the exact same gear, but with different colors, heck, even the unique stuff still looks like everything else! Take for example the armor which the smith can make for you, regardless of what type you pick, it'll just be the same look as always, but with a different color.

The combat is also very choppy, I mean you spend more time having your character auto navigate his way around friends & foes alike to get to the enemy you targeted for him, he looks like MC Hammer gone haywire!!!

Take Oblivion where you swing your sword, and you either hit or don't hit, or you have your shield to block inc attacks etc. I don't consider a game where 80% is automated, and all you can do is run around, click doors, click abilities/potions, switch characters. Even traveling is automated. You really have most of your game play spoonfed to you wether you like it or not.

And there's the character customization. I agree with you here, it is fairly decent, unlike WoW's horrible "pick yo face, pwease!", if you wanna get a specific look, you can make it, I like that.

But to be honest, I don't think there's much to come after, and with such little freedom, and such automated combat, and with such little navigational possiblities("That right there is the way out, don't like it? Go to Oblivion where every which way is an exit with a different destination!"), I have a hard time being comfortable with calling DAO an RPG.

That's just my 2 cents.

EpsilonX
03-28-2011, 09:41 PM
Well see take for example Oblivion, lots of nice gear ranging from Iron to Glass, and further, if you install the patches and the expansions, for not to mention fan made stuff!

Compare this to DAO, which has the exact same gear, but with different colors, heck, even the unique stuff still looks like everything else! Take for example the armor which the smith can make for you, regardless of what type you pick, it'll just be the same look as always, but with a different color.

The combat is also very choppy, I mean you spend more time having your character auto navigate his way around friends & foes alike to get to the enemy you targeted for him, he looks like MC Hammer gone haywire!!!

Take Oblivion where you swing your sword, and you either hit or don't hit, or you have your shield to block inc attacks etc. I don't consider a game where 80% is automated, and all you can do is run around, click doors, click abilities/potions, switch characters. Even traveling is automated. You really have most of your game play spoonfed to you wether you like it or not.

And there's the character customization. I agree with you here, it is fairly decent, unlike WoW's horrible "pick yo face, pwease!", if you wanna get a specific look, you can make it, I like that.

But to be honest, I don't think there's much to come after, and with such little freedom, and such automated combat, and with such little navigational possiblities("That right there is the way out, don't like it? Go to Oblivion where every which way is an exit with a different destination!"), I have a hard time being comfortable with calling DAO an RPG.

That's just my 2 cents.

yea, i hear what you're saying, but....does this mean that you don't consider Final Fantasy or anything like that an RPG?

Saph
03-29-2011, 11:56 PM
To be honest I do not know =P I've never played FF at all...So maybe I do..I think? It has just never really caught my eye.

Also...the need for them to make what is it...14 games with the same title? Eh...alittle excessive, it gives me the whole quantity>quality feeling...Not saying that FF is bad or anything, since I've never played a single second of it, I can't give an opinion on that cause I just dont know, but with 14 games+ out right now about it? I Just cant seem to take a game requiring THAT many sequals as seriously as one with 1 or 2.

Muffincat
03-30-2011, 12:04 AM
They aren't really sequels. None of them (except for X-2, which doesn't really count) have any connection to each other; they put the title "Final Fantasy" so you know what to expect/similar designers/etc. Milking the popularity of the title, I suppose, but not drying out the story, since it changes every time ^^

Saph
03-30-2011, 12:14 AM
That makes sense! Maybe I should give the latest FF game a try sometime.

Or not? I dont really know, with so many different games, which one of them would you say is the best, and least brutal for FF newbies?

Muffincat
03-30-2011, 12:18 AM
Ahhh, I wouldn't really go for the latest one... definitely not their best. Stunning, graphics wise, but super linear and generally disliked by fans...

Most people like 7 the best, but I feel it's kinda overrated... and it wouldn't be great if you're a graphics snob, since it's pretty old :P I personally love 9, and 8 is very good... Actually, if I had to recommend one for being pretty decent and still modern, I might recommend 10. It's a really solid game with a lot to do and a really good story.

Saph
03-30-2011, 12:28 AM
I think I'm gonna go with your personal one and go with 8 or 9, since I'm not a horrible graphics snob(obviously I dont think I could play a game that looks like Pythagoras made it(with his triangular shapes n'such!).

I might give 10 a shot if I like the 8 or 9 one though!

As said FF is completely new to me, maybe its time I did give it a shot, huh?:D

EpsilonX
03-30-2011, 12:35 AM
Yea lol. They're basically unrelated RPGs that have similar mechanics. Like how goosebumps is a series of books that are all unrelated but have similar themes, final fantasy is a series of RPGs. They're not open world rpgs though, they're rather plot-focused and linear. (although ff13 gives that word a whole new meaning lol)

Saph
03-30-2011, 12:40 AM
Eh as stated everywhere, I'm open to new games any day =) Deffinately gonna give this one a shot now since everyone seems to have alot of good and little bad to say about it!

Muffincat
03-30-2011, 12:41 AM
You might not want to go with me, though, because I know a lot of people who hate both 8 and 9 XD People can get pretty rabid about their favorites :P 7 is a safe bet for sure, and I did really love 10 (though there's some discrepancies there, too...)

It's difficult to find one that everyone agrees on. I like 9 because it's cute and fanciful (but not shallow), and really fun. 8 was more dramatic and had a love story as a bigger part of it. 10 is also very much a love story... I mean, 9 kind of was, too. You can't really have one without a love story, but... XD all of them generally have pretty good story lines, and focus on characters... I'm very much a Final Fantasy fan, though, and love to be immersed in fantasy worlds.

Saph
03-30-2011, 12:49 AM
I just simply cannot tolerate a game that claims to be an RPG and than has shallow characters, but it sounds to me like FF prides itself on having a variety to choose from in the games?

I may just have to start from #7 and work my way up to 14 I think, that is, if the game is likeable of course!

But I think the safest bet is to take the lowest mentioned game and then go my way up and pick my favorite from there =P Besides, I love to try new things, and I've had my safe open world RPGs to roam around in for a while.

Despite me hating DAO with a passion for its love for invisible walls, I'm willing to see if FF can put some dignity in the pot where DAO took it all away for me :embarrassed: damn gamestop and their unwillingness to take it back at full price after only 2 days >:D

Muffincat
03-30-2011, 01:02 AM
They definitely care about their characters in FF games. That's what draws me to them the most. I do really love 5 and 6, but I would only go into the ones below 7 if you find yourself with a fondness for the series, or really like old school 8-bit games a lot :P 7 is definitely a good place to start, though. It's got the biggest following, so :)

Saph
03-30-2011, 01:15 AM
That is where I'm going to start then! =D

Thank you for showing me something new, guys! <3

DAMNIT thats why I love these forums XD Shoulda joined this a LONG time ago!:p

EpsilonX
03-30-2011, 11:31 AM
7 has horrid graphics, everybody looks like they're made out of colorful bowling balls taped together, but the game is great. I haven't played 10, but I heard its really good and the graphics are pretty good. start with one of those.

Actually, I heard final fantasy 6 is VERY good, but its an SNES game. I saw you don't like bad graphics though (maybe I read it wrong?) but it'd probably be worth playing i think. Not sure how you'd play it though lol, it's called Final Fantasy 3 on the SNES but there is a gameboy advance port called Final Fantasy 6.

Saph
03-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Nah I dont mind bad graphics if the game is good =) I mean I LOOOOVE good graphics, but I dont consider it neccersary by death to have it for the game to be playable.

I do however, hate lag, who doesnt tho!?

I think I'm gonna go with FF 8-10 then =) Give it a shot, see how I like it!

Who knows I might just like it alittle too much since it sounds like a pretty good game series(I was happy when I heard that it was not connected together sequels, but each their own game unique to the series, I liked that)

EpsilonX
03-30-2011, 11:38 AM
Make sure you play 7 at some point

Muffincat
03-30-2011, 12:35 PM
6 has a Playstation port, Eps :3 I have the anthology version with 5 and 6 together for the first Playstation. And it is really good, I'd just advise other ones first for their more modern look and feel, and the ones before 7 all have basically the same combat system, while in 7+ they all have different systems for leveling and what not which make them at least unique in that way.

EpsilonX
03-30-2011, 01:21 PM
6 has a Playstation port, Eps :3 I have the anthology version with 5 and 6 together for the first Playstation. And it is really good, I'd just advise other ones first for their more modern look and feel, and the ones before 7 all have basically the same combat system, while in 7+ they all have different systems for leveling and what not which make them at least unique in that way.

lol i forgot about that, all I could remember was the ps1 version of 1 and 2 and the ps1 version of 4 and chrono trigger.