PDA

View Full Version : I've decided.

Samus-Fan
01-20-2011, 06:59 PM
What are they on? Octo-Core I think?
They need to come out with a Dodeca-Core. That'd be intense.

Just wondering what people think about how fast computer technology grows.
You build the best computer one year, and by the next year it's way outdated.
Pretty crazy stuff

Gilgamesh
01-20-2011, 07:18 PM
Umm... Good decision.

LiNuX
01-20-2011, 07:25 PM
The highest commercial cpu has 6 cores. I think it's uneven...same with the triple core.

I was at brookhaven national lab a few months ago, they had a computer with several hundred cores (a super computer) with a few thousand gigabytes of ram.

But I'm pretty sure the 8-core server is next. I've used servers with 16 cores before but they were either two quad cores with HT or 4 quad cores without HT.

leica
01-21-2011, 02:23 AM
I think I read something a few months ago about there being a prototype of a 16-core chip. I may be wrong but I really think that's what it was. :P

Jayhmmz
01-21-2011, 06:13 AM
I think it's actually insane! So much so that it's unfair on the general PC user - I use the term 'general' loosely, as I presume most of us PC users here have a general machine that is still better than average, but just used for gaming and media, compared to the massive super computers aforementioned. It makes you feel like you constantly need to update and spend a lot of money to keep up with the times, some of us are PC fashion victims! I know I am, for Technology and Clothing!

I just think it's kind of unfair the way PC users spend a hell of a lot more money than console users. I use a console also, although I'm prodominantly a PC gamer. But of course, it's down to the choices you make I suppose... it still sucks though!

Samus-Fan
01-21-2011, 07:28 AM
I just think it's kind of unfair the way PC users spend a hell of a lot more money than console users. I use a console also, although I'm prodominantly a PC gamer. But of course, it's down to the choices you make I suppose... it still sucks though!

You could fix that by just playing games on consoles :p

But yea I was just thinking when I posted this about how fast technology grows. And not only that, but as it grows, the new things coming out that require it.

Jayhmmz
01-21-2011, 07:39 AM
You could fix that by just playing games on consoles :p

But yea I was just thinking when I posted this about how fast technology grows. And not only that, but as it grows, the new things coming out that require it.

Haha, I could do man, but I'm too much of a graphics snob ;)
I must have a game with amazing graphics, or I'm not interested! I must have that equilibrium with fun console play and amazing PC graphics. For example, I would get sports games for console, where I would get Crysis 2 for PC, instead of console. :)

+1 on your second comment. That is another downside. Depending on your video card and how big it is, you may need another tower entirely so you can fit the damn thing in with the sound card too! <problem I had with my old graphics card, I had a big arsed GeForce 9800> Now I have a Radeon HD 5700 series, which fits nicely with my sound card, looking for an upgrade soon though. But yeah, depending on how powerful the components are, you will then need to buy a new PSU, maybe a new motherboard... ARGH! Haha.
I recently had to rebuy my OCZ Stealth, as the fan wheel almost flew away! :S

Diligence109
01-21-2011, 10:09 AM
Umm... Good decision.

This made me lol for some reason XD

I think it's actually insane! So much so that it's unfair on the general PC user - I use the term 'general' loosely, as I presume most of us PC users here have a general machine that is still better than average, but just used for gaming and media, compared to the massive super computers aforementioned. It makes you feel like you constantly need to update and spend a lot of money to keep up with the times, some of us are PC fashion victims! I know I am, for Technology and Clothing!

Keywords highlighted - I've been running on the same hardware in this laptop for 5 years now and I can still run the latest games ;)

Haha, I could do man, but I'm too much of a graphics snob ;)
I must have a game with amazing graphics, or I'm not interested!

However, I do have to turn settings most of the way or all the way down at this point; so if you MUST have the best that is possible then you're gonna have the break the bank every couple months or so I suppose :P

Jayhmmz
01-21-2011, 10:11 AM
This made me lol for some reason XD

Keywords highlighted - I've been running on the same hardware in this laptop for 5 years now and I can still run the latest games ;)

However, I do have to turn settings most of the way or all the way down at this point; so if you MUST have the best that is possible then you're gonna have the break the bank every couple months or so I suppose :P

Indeed :P
Good going that you can run games still with a five year old laptop, but I myself am not satisfied with just running games, I'm a perfectionist, so they have to run at their peak :P It's an annoying thing to have, but I suppose it benefits my personal happiness levels!

LiNuX
01-21-2011, 10:15 AM
I agree with Jay that you sometimes feel compelled to keep up with current updates. But I'm also with Dili in the sense that I built this computer over 3 years ago and it can run any game out today and will be able to run any games coming out this year (at least).

The only thing I upgraded since building the PC was the graphics card and that's only because I found a buyer for my old card and got a great deal on the upgrade. I also got a new hard drive but that's for storage (from all my site and video files).

oh and I got a new CPU water cooler - but I didn't get it to keep up with new technology, I just needed to get some exp with water cooling units since I never dealt with them. If someone asks me to build a pc for them with water cooling, at least I can say that I worked with this and that.

BobTD
01-21-2011, 01:27 PM
computer gamers are probably one of the largest driving forces behind computer technology development. By spending so much money on a computer you basically fuel the competing companies in their technology race.

So look on the bright side. Buying a new computer helps advance technology that benefits the world at large.

Jayhmmz
01-21-2011, 02:07 PM
computer gamers are probably one of the largest driving forces behind computer technology development. By spending so much money on a computer you basically fuel the competing companies in their technology race.

So look on the bright side. Buying a new computer helps advance technology that benefits the world at large.

Haha, this is true I suppose.
But the likelyhood of it is, is that PC gaming will become obsolete in the next few years and be replaced by consoles. The consoles out at the moment, especially the Xbox 360, have enough power to be better than a lot of above average gaming PCs. The consoles don't utilise their processors efficiently though, they don't multi-task, they have processors concentrating on separate things which is retarded unless backed up with a logical reason.

Diligence109
01-21-2011, 05:24 PM

I now have an excuse to try and make claims that I'm helping the world/greater community by being a gamer.

Thank you, Bob, for giving me the most awesome argument for being an apparent "lazy ass."

MeshiaSamurai
01-21-2011, 10:28 PM
How far they will go with the current technology, making silicon-based processors faster and faster, cramming more and more onto microchips, will eventually reach its limit. Many think that silicon-based processors will hit a brick wall within the next decade.

The future CPU's may lie in quantum and DNA computers. Both types of technology are in their infancy right now, but have the potential to be thousands of times more powerful than traditional processors ever could be.