PDA

View Full Version : ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead - not as fun

Shooter99
01-26-2011, 05:07 AM
Why do I get the feeling that I'm playing a game of the old Delta Force series? And what's with the voice acting. It seems as 4 people are informing me about an invisible enemy: "1st guy: Enemy; 2nd guy: 12; 3rd guy: o'clock, 4th guy: 200meters." And the team leader tells me to move to some invisible bush and the team goes to a builidng?! WTF!? The game's AI sucks. And since when is a cheap AK-47 more accurate than a well made US army rifle. >:(
From the bootcamp levels I really thought that this would've been a great game. But I was wrong. Bad graphics, bad voice acting and you start the campaing in a rather stupid way. Unlike other games, such as COD, MoH, BF etc... you just go into the battlefield not knowing your name and having no idea about what to do next.
Is there something wrong with me, or this game really sucks?

paecmaker
01-26-2011, 05:17 AM
The best part with ARMA2 OA is that the building tools are just f*****g awesome. Still the ai and particulary their driving skills isnt so good and sometimes the graphics almost looks like operation flashpoint.

I like the game only beacause the editor and some of the graphics but not anything more.

Shooter99
01-26-2011, 07:24 AM
I'm starting to think that Call of Duty Black Ops has a more war-like gameplay than ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead. And despite the fact that A2OA is not as realistic as it should, an fps game is not interesting when you CAN'T KILL ANYONE. You just shoot at your enemies like a fool, experiencing a lot of recoil while their AK-47 kill you the moment you get spotted.
It's not as realistic and the AI sucks. :@

paecmaker
01-26-2011, 07:54 AM
You are not ment to shoot in full auto (if you do that). I dont have that problem. I die often but I kill many to. There are a big difference in gameplay between ARMA2 and Cod

Jayhmmz
01-26-2011, 08:31 AM
When I heard that ARMAII: OA was out, with the British Forces DLC, I jumped straight to the demo. I can only say I was rather disappointed and was expecting a lot more from the game...

Shooter99
01-26-2011, 08:31 AM
No, I don't shoot in full auto. I use the semi fire mode. I'm talking about those long range fire fights in which cheap AK-47s seem to be better than the US army high standard automatic rifles. I am aware of the gameplay differences between OA and BO. I'm just saying that OA has a less realistic gameplay than BO - and I was expecting it to be the other way.

paecmaker
01-27-2011, 07:25 AM
Im not shure but You can maybe install the ACE2 mod.

It stands for Advanced combat enviroment (I think) and it is remaking the game to be more realistic and ad some better effects.

If you need help try the fansite Armaholic.

Diligence109
01-27-2011, 03:24 PM
I've heard a lot of interesting things about Arma - most notably that it is not your standard FPS (as you've identified) and that the gameplay it does provide is incredibly different. The weird thing is that what I did hear is that way in which it is different is that it attempts to be much more realistic than any other FPS. I've heard from friends I'd consider reliable sources that it achieves this pretty well, but that's just what I've heard.

Shooter99
01-28-2011, 08:07 AM
I've heard a lot of interesting things about Arma - most notably that it is not your standard FPS (as you've identified) and that the gameplay it does provide is incredibly different. The weird thing is that what I did hear is that way in which it is different is that it attempts to be much more realistic than any other FPS. I've heard from friends I'd consider reliable sources that it achieves this pretty well, but that's just what I've heard.

Trust me. It is not as fun and not nearly as realistic as they say.
a) It's got terrible graphics
b) The storyline sucks and you have no idea what the hell you're doing in "Takistan"
c) The AI is absolutely awful.
d) The voice acting makes me wanna vomit - one of the worst ones out there.
e) AK47s seem to have recoil than the M4 Carbine.

If it wasn't for these few facts, the game would've been great. This game kinda sucks and don't spend money on it. If you're so curios about it just download it or trade another game for it instead. It's just a waste of money.

paecmaker
01-29-2011, 06:50 AM
[QUOTE=Diligence109;258699]I've heard a lot of interesting things about Arma - most notably that it is not your standard FPS (as you've identified) and that the gameplay it does provide is incredibly different. The weird thing is that what I did hear is that way in which it is different is that it attempts to be much more realistic than any other FPS. I've heard from friends I'd consider reliable sources that it achieves this pretty well, but that's just what I've heard.[/QUOT

The voice acting is about the worst ever. If you want it very realistic you have to download some mods.

The ai is relativly good at fighting but sucks at practicly everything else.

If you buy the game for the story you will get disappointed but there are a bunch of mods to download.

(I cant say anything about the ak 47 cause i have only arma 2, not oa even if they are similar.

Raoul
02-02-2011, 02:48 AM
Okay it's a good thing that I didn't buy me the game, because I was thinking what game I can buy me to play so I thought of this game.

paecmaker
08-31-2011, 05:59 AM
When I heard that ARMAII: OA was out, with the British Forces DLC, I jumped straight to the demo. I can only say I was rather disappointed and was expecting a lot more from the game...

Sorry to bump this very old thread.

For most of the players that play Arma 2 the game accually turned fun one or two weeks into the game, thats when you can the controls and the editor and then I feel its very fun.

But some doesnt like the slow gameplay how long they still play.

Shooter99
09-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Sorry to bump this very old thread.

For most of the players that play Arma 2 the game actually turned fun one or two weeks into the game, that’s when you can the controls and the editor and then I feel its very fun.

But some doesn’t like the slow gameplay how long they still play.

I don't mind the slow gameplay. I like "Operation Flashpoint: Red River" and I play it on the hardest difficulty, thinking about every move I make - and I love it. I even play CoH slowly, keeping casualties at their minimum.
The reason I dislike OA, is because it's BORING. It has no story, a stupid plot, and a frustrating gameplay, an hour of which would even drive the Buddha insane. The controls feel laggy and irresponsive; There are way to many menus for issuing orders; the AI sucks in most cases - they won't even follow orders correctly; the game is full of bugs and glitches; the graphics look like the ones of a 2003 game; and the voice acting is just terrible.
The level editor is the only good thing about it, but even that can’t make up for the stupid gameplay and visuals. If it wasn't for the editor, no one would be really playing it. It’s a horrible and a boring game, and I can’t believe I actually bought it. >:(

paecmaker
09-02-2011, 02:04 AM
I don't mind the slow gameplay. I like "Operation Flashpoint: Red River" and I play it on the hardest difficulty, thinking about every move I make - and I love it. I even play CoH slowly, keeping casualties at their minimum.
The reason I dislike OA, is because it's BORING. It has no story, a stupid plot, and a frustrating gameplay, an hour of which would even drive the Buddha insane. The controls feel laggy and irresponsive; There are way to many menus for issuing orders; the AI sucks in most cases - they won't even follow orders correctly; the game is full of bugs and glitches; the graphics look like the ones of a 2003 game; and the voice acting is just terrible.
The level editor is the only good thing about it, but even that can’t make up for the stupid gameplay and visuals. If it wasn't for the editor, no one would be really playing it. It’s a horrible and a boring game, and I can’t believe I actually bought it. >:(

I havnt played OA but in A2 the plot is pretty bad also, but it also is very realistic, a step from the CoD stories. The controls are very hard and I also hate them, but they are very deep and allow many things. Operation flashpoint DR cant have these controls cause its on console and havnt got enough buttons.

The AI is bad but its also fun to play against, its still hard.

But the graphics, Most FPS games got a lot lesser visual and playable range witch makes it natural that they got better graphics in detail.

http://www.hookedgamers.com/images/1032/arma_ii_operation_arrowhead/screenshot_pc_arma_ii_operation_arrowhead025.jpg

How many games would let you walk around how you want in this town?
All the time is the Arma serie after in details thanks to their large worlds.

Voice acting is terrible, but I dont accually care, They atleast say what they need to say. ENEMY...12 a clock infront.

The editor, the reason Arma is what it is. Its just personal but I think it makes up to almost everything. If something is bad you just download a mod that fix it. And BIS is one of the most friendly developers that I have seen, They constantly visit their forums and "talk" to the fans. Heck even I have talked to the main producer.
They do patches, something that codemasters seem to have screwed in and.

Just check out armaholic, there are a bunch of sound mods that improve sound, there are mods that improve graphics and there are mods that gives you new missions, if you dont want to make them yourself.

But this is just my oppinions, if you dont like Arma 2 OA I cant convince you otherwise and I wont force you.

The devs told us that they have noticed what they did wrong in A2 and is going to fix it for A3, it will have a new graphics engine, new AI, New physics and a new command system. And hopefully no bugs, but its BIS I talk about, better not to hope for to much :p

Shooter99
09-12-2011, 04:49 AM
I havnt played OA but in A2 the plot is pretty bad also, but it also is very realistic, a step from the CoD stories. The controls are very hard and I also hate them, but they are very deep and allow many things. Operation flashpoint DR cant have these controls cause its on console and havnt got enough buttons.

The AI is bad but its also fun to play against, its still hard.

But the graphics, Most FPS games got a lot lesser visual and playable range witch makes it natural that they got better graphics in detail.

http://www.hookedgamers.com/images/1032/arma_ii_operation_arrowhead/screenshot_pc_arma_ii_operation_arrowhead025.jpg

How many games would let you walk around how you want in this town?
All the time is the Arma serie after in details thanks to their large worlds.

Voice acting is terrible, but I dont accually care, They atleast say what they need to say. ENEMY...12 a clock infront.

The editor, the reason Arma is what it is. Its just personal but I think it makes up to almost everything. If something is bad you just download a mod that fix it. And BIS is one of the most friendly developers that I have seen, They constantly visit their forums and "talk" to the fans. Heck even I have talked to the main producer.
They do patches, something that codemasters seem to have screwed in and.

Just check out armaholic, there are a bunch of sound mods that improve sound, there are mods that improve graphics and there are mods that gives you new missions, if you dont want to make them yourself.

But this is just my oppinions, if you dont like Arma 2 OA I cant convince you otherwise and I wont force you.

The devs told us that they have noticed what they did wrong in A2 and is going to fix it for A3, it will have a new graphics engine, new AI, New physics and a new command system. And hopefully no bugs, but its BIS I talk about, better not to hope for to much :p

The AI is hard, pretty much because your buddies are idiots, and your enemies are extremely accurate. I wouldn't really call it realistic, but even if it was, then it would be the bad, boring kind of realism. Instead of fun and interesting missions, I have the feeling that this is my "second job" - in which I command kids into battle. The only thing that felt realistic and fun in this game, was the way you fly. Choppers are easy to learn, but hard to master, and it’s fun to put a bunch of soldiers with AK47s and mow them down from above. :D There are many games that allow you to walk around and explore, and their visuals are much better than those of A2. Also, when I say visuals, I don't mean just models and textures. The animations, physics and special effects in the game are terrible.
As for the voice acting, they don't always what they are supposed to. "EnEmy..... NEAR!!! animaL. 200,,,,,,, meters - FrONt!." Even though there is no one there, and the hostiles are located elsewhere. And when I order them to go to a building, my character tells them to move to a tree - even though there are no trees in the area.
I would like the next ArmA to be similar to Operation Flashpoint: Red River and Battlefield 2 – now that would be a game I’d like to play.

paecmaker
09-12-2011, 10:15 AM
I would like the next ArmA to be similar to Operation Flashpoint: Red River and Battlefield 2 – now that would be a game I’d like to play.

I wouldnt want it like that, In Arma 3 they are changing the bad parts of Arma 2, the visuals are just gorgeous, they am going to use new and better audio, new physics engine, better AI and a new command system.

Now if we get all this is not clear but even with what we have seen it would be a bigger improvement.

Making it into a red river or a bf2 issnt the way to go. You may not like it but many does like arma 2 for its very hard and unforgiving gameplay, I like it and yes the AI is weird and the enemy aims like haxxors but that is only small problems.

In arma 3 They will/say that they will include a 3D editor also wich makes it several times better.

Shooter99
09-26-2011, 02:34 PM
I wouldnt want it like that, In Arma 3 they are changing the bad parts of Arma 2, the visuals are just gorgeous, they am going to use new and better audio, new physics engine, better AI and a new command system.

Now if we get all this is not clear but even with what we have seen it would be a bigger improvement.

Making it into a red river or a bf2 issnt the way to go. You may not like it but many does like arma 2 for its very hard and unforgiving gameplay, I like it and yes the AI is weird and the enemy aims like haxxors but that is only small problems.

In arma 3 They will/say that they will include a 3D editor also wich makes it several times better.

The 3D editor got me, although it wont be anything new to me, I use 3D editors all the time.
I would like the commands to be like the ones of Red River (or maybe even Brothers in Arms). I like to issue orders as fast as possible and keep things simple. I would also like it to have an interesting plot and storyline like Red River. All the commands A2OA has are ****ing useless. RTS games have less commands and they play just fine. A hard and unforgiving gameplay - yes. But a complicated process just to order someone to take cover is just stupid (and not realistic either).
The idea of ArmA is great, but this far it's just another fail game. They should spice things up a little bit. As I said: Action-packed battles; a good plot and/or a storyline; some RPG elements; better stability; improved visuals and voice-acting; better AI and better controls is what ArmA 3 needs in order to be a good game.
lol, you might want to tell this to the main producer :p:cheesy::D

paecmaker
09-26-2011, 02:59 PM
The 3D editor got me, although it wont be anything new to me, I use 3D editors all the time.
I would like the commands to be like the ones of Red River (or maybe even Brothers in Arms). I like to issue orders as fast as possible and keep things simple. I would also like it to have an interesting plot and storyline like Red River. All the commands A2OA has are ****ing useless. RTS games have less commands and they play just fine. A hard and unforgiving gameplay - yes. But a complicated process just to order someone to take cover is just stupid (and not realistic either).
The idea of ArmA is great, but this far it's just another fail game. They should spice things up a little bit. As I said: Action-packed battles; a good plot and/or a storyline; some RPG elements; better stability; improved visuals and voice-acting; better AI and better controls is what ArmA 3 needs in order to be a good game.
lol, you might want to tell this to the main producer :p:cheesy::D

lol, Well I could add it on the official forum, but with all the hardcore fans out there many of these things would probably be pretty hated on if not spoken right. Mostly about the thing with action packed battles, they would say its like cod and they absolutely HATE cod and red river(as well as dragon rising). However, the plot, better stability, improved visuals and voice acting, and better controls and AI is exactly what they have pushed for since the announcment of Arma 3

So far we know that the visuals look better than the predecessors, we know some things about the plot, that its open ended, you start alone and need to gain support on the various guerillas and smugglers on the island. But we havnt seen the new controls, AI adn we dont know how the stability of th game is really.

Check the official page.