PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Avatar Uploads

Jayhmmz
02-07-2011, 02:18 PM
Just a quick question.
When I create an avatar in photoshop with multiple layers, it always seems to decrease the quality of the image when I upload it to Facebook or to here.

I save my avatars as a JPG... am I doin' it wrong? Do I need to save it as a different file type to preserve the original quality?

Twitter seemed to have no problem with it though... which is strange.

Muffincat
02-07-2011, 02:30 PM
Save everything as .png always forever

edit: though actually I have no idea if our forum accepts .pngs XD

Jayhmmz
02-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Haha :D
Ah right fair enough, I thought PNG decreases quality anyway to make it smaller to send places and stuff, with it being called a portable network graphic... I was jumping to conclusions :D

Ilyich Valken
02-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Save everything as .png always forever

edit: though actually I have no idea if our forum accepts .pngs XD

This. PNG is lossless, while jpg simply saves everything and compresses it to make it the smallest possible size, hence the loss of clarity/quality. The forum does accept PNG files, I actually just.. tested it out. So yeah.

Jayhmmz
02-07-2011, 02:41 PM
This. PNG is lossless, while jpg simply saves everything and compresses it to make it the smallest possible size, hence the loss of clarity/quality. The forum does accept PNG files, I actually just.. tested it out. So yeah.

Cheers guys and girls :D
Just tried out a .PNG and it works fine. Although it's a softer focus, it's much more clear, because as you say Ilyich, it's trying to preserve the image and compress it, so a lot of jagged edges appear!