PDA

View Full Version : How much do you find yourself telling others about you?

Project Blaze
02-14-2011, 09:38 PM
I've been thinking about this for a long time, but only now decided to post it and discuss it. I mean, what the hell? Not like I've got much(if anything) to lose.

So, how much of yourself do you tend to reveal to/show others? Not on a whim, more like some compulsive need on a subconcious level of some sort.

Or something along those lines, I'm no psychologist. Obviously I don't mean just broadcast your personal life in this thread. That's not at all what I'm trying to do. I'm just trying to find out how much(if any) people tell others about themselves, more on a pre-mature basis than gradually finding out more about them.

Unfortunately I tend to be gung-ho in telling people about my life, practically all of it. Which ends up driving some people(most anyway) away, while others(a small handful) stick around. Sometimes it's even misinterpreted as me having some sort of obsessive feelings for them. Something similar to the way a stalker is, I guess. I'm no mind-reader either, so I can't say for sure what they think, I can only go by their actions. As for why I do it, I'm incredibly needy for attention. I never figured out why. All I know is I can at least admit that much.

I'll probably get not-so-nice comments and negative reps or whatever for this, probably even be thought less of, but things fall the way things fall. Not much I can do about it. I just wanted to take a shot in the dark while I still had this on my mind and see what happened. So, guess I'll just have to wait and see how things go with this...

Mine
02-15-2011, 10:10 AM
I'm on the opposite side of the fence. I fell new people fairly little, and only the small circle around me (wife and family, mostly) know anything about my past and private life. I don't like most people, so I don't tell them much until they prove they are okay.

EpsilonX
02-15-2011, 11:31 AM
I tend to talk a lot about myself, mostly about my views on college, but that's simply because i'm trying to understand my views myself. By talking it out with somebody, I can further understand my current place and how I can fix it or make it better. Usually I don't talk about me though, like what i'm into and stuff, because I don't like saying "i'm into this" and then not being as into it anymore a week later, and have them being like wtf. I just let people figure it out for themselves.

Project Blaze
02-15-2011, 12:17 PM
I was so blitzed when I posted this that I'm surprised I got the spelling as good as I did. Weird...

Anyway, I don't really like society as a whole, but I'm still overly nice to strangers. A stark contrast, to say the least. So that might factor in to the way I just blurt out my life. Well, except the deeper details.
It's still a little too soon when I hand out tickets to my sideshow of a life for people to watch. It's unbelievably frustrating. Like a fast-paced ride that I can't stop, which I wish I could stop. Strange how hopeless some people can be(reference to people like myself, just so no one gets the wrong impression).

I honestly don't remember if I talk about what I'm into though... this short-circuited brain never lets up.

That was me trying to talk about what you guys posted. I'm just too tired right now to quote and mess with this pathetic 'net I have. -_-

leica
02-15-2011, 07:52 PM
absolutely nothing

Jayhmmz
02-15-2011, 08:55 PM
absolutely nothing

LOL. This actually made me LOL.
The blunt portrayal of your response was genius!

Anyway,
I tell people little about my personal life unless they're close. However, I'm always there for anyone to open up their mind to me so I can offer as much help as I can give. I like listening and I take happiness from feeling that I have helped someone that day.
I seemed to be the go to guy for people through the later years of High School and in College :) and out of, too.
Even though I didn't use this feat of mine to get closer to girls... it did get me a lot more girl attention than I already had, so that was just a bonus :P Reward if you like! But yeah, it wasn't my sole objective anyway. I'm a very chatty person, so I generally got on more with girls!! Good job my girlfriend is not the jealous type :)

Jokersvirus
02-15-2011, 09:02 PM
99.99% of the world dont need to know anything about you. Hell even my parents dont know me they think they do, but they dont. I wont tell people anything, they can figure me out if they like but meh.

If people ask I might tell them little clips of myself, but nothing personal they can use against me and try to upset me... ladies love a man they cant figure out.

Jayhmmz
02-15-2011, 09:06 PM
99.99% of the world dont need to know anything about you. Hell even my parents dont know me they think they do, but they dont. I wont tell people anything, they can figure me out if they like but meh.

If people ask I might tell them little clips of myself, but nothing personal they can use against me and try to upset me... ladies love a man they cant figure out.

Chuck Norris doesn't need to ask about anything in regards to your personal life... He knows everything. He knows everyone. He created God and Harry Potter.

Raoul
02-16-2011, 02:48 AM
Not that much at all people don't know me that well they mostly know me from skating and parties, but there are a few that know my personal life it's basically only 3 people in my friends group. that's all the others know alot about me of playing games and things and only a small brief of my personal life:D

RaiDae
02-16-2011, 10:36 AM
Enough?
Or... actually - probably too much. but then again... i couldn't give the hair on a rats arse. If people want to know something, i normally don't see any reason in not telling. Then again, there are things that I keep to myself and things which don't need to be talked about. so yeah..... #.#

insert_cliche_here
02-16-2011, 07:46 PM
I find it hard to tell new people about myself because the things that make me who I am are things that people often have misconceptions about. For example, I'm vegan, but I explicitly try to avoid telling people that unless it somehow comes up because a) I'm worried they will immediately think I'm an extremist and I'm about to start shoving my beliefs down their throat or b) they will be an extremist anti-vegan (or just a regular asshole) and try to start an argument with me.
Does that make any sense? I'm trying to say that the fundamental basics of the real me are things I feel very strongly about and things that have caused problems in the past, so I find it difficult to really be myself around new people.
But I suppose most people are like that right?

P.S. I realise the irony of blatantly using something I don't often share to make my point.

Samus-Fan
02-16-2011, 08:32 PM
I dunno, I rarely tell most people anything except what's obvious, but only like 3 people know everything about me. 1 I regret telling everything to, that's it's one downfall.
So I try to be conservative toward my personal info, but I just feel like I have to tell someone, ya'know?

paecmaker
02-17-2011, 04:55 PM
I dont tell that much to strangers and is often quiet in the surroundings of other people. If im gonna tell them they need to be close and trustable.

Its easier to text more in sites like this cause many of you are on the other side of the world and we probably wont meet in person. Its also easier to express yourself when you are not seing me.

I could tell you everything about me and still have a felling of privacy.