PDA

View Full Version : worlds strongest magnets?

BobTD
06-13-2011, 04:29 PM
KJ Magnetics - Products
(http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BZX0ZX0Y0-N52)

1200lbs of pull force is crazy. if they where lined up -- or ++ you could levitate 200lbs over 4 inches.

I'm thinking practical applications like a super dense hard drive the size of an xbox here.

Saph
06-13-2011, 04:48 PM
Hell, I'd say make cars fly with it...Magnetize every road and make opposite pole barriers to keep the car up. We'd be traveling at Mac 5 to go to work, and Mac 10 when we're late for said work.

foof
06-13-2011, 07:16 PM
Hell, I'd say make cars fly with it...Magnetize every road and make opposite pole barriers to keep the car up. We'd be traveling at Mac 5 to go to work, and Mac 10 when we're late for said work.

If only they could make that possible without the car just completely flipping over.

Havoc
06-13-2011, 08:11 PM
Well it IS possible to get a stable shape for that purpose, but traveling with mach 5 on ground would be kinda iffy with all the air resistance you'd get... and all the pedestrian guts slowing you down if you don't manage to break at the next red light.

I think i'd rather use this thing to kill someone... I mean what else do you want to do with this hunk of gravitational singularity? Glue two cars together on april fools day?
Seriously you could attach this thing underneath some dudes car and he'd be collecting every manhole cover in the neighborhood.

BobTD
06-14-2011, 03:37 AM
Well it IS possible to get a stable shape for that purpose, but traveling with mach 5 on ground would be kinda iffy with all the air resistance you'd get... and all the pedestrian guts slowing you down if you don't manage to break at the next red light.

I think i'd rather use this thing to kill someone... I mean what else do you want to do with this hunk of gravitational singularity? Glue two cars together on april fools day?
Seriously you could attach this thing underneath some dudes car and he'd be collecting every manhole cover in the neighborhood.

Actually with two magnets im pretty sure it has enough pull that two cars driving away from each other would not break free.

GamingWeston
06-18-2011, 06:11 PM
BTW in my opinion magnets could make the travel safer. Each car could have a strong magnet in the front and when it comes to a collision, both cars would lose momentum much slower because it would start even before they hit head on, and so the forces were lower and the collision wouldn't hurt so much. OK I'm not gonna win Nobel but...

edit: I forgot to mention that it would need two magnets in each cars so that we can use the opposite forces based on that they are towards each other...

Exentenzed
06-18-2011, 06:47 PM
BTW in my opinion magnets could make the travel safer. Each car could have a strong magnet in the front and when it comes to a collision, both cars would lose momentum much slower because it would start even before they hit head on, and so the forces were lower and the collision wouldn't hurt so much. OK I'm not gonna win Nobel but...

edit: I forgot to mention that it would need two magnets in each cars so that we can use the opposite forces based on that they are towards each other...

One just has to remember not to park in front of a computer store. :P

GamingWeston
06-18-2011, 07:35 PM
One just has to remember not to park in front of a computer store. :P

Hahaha I didn't say that I mapped out every detail of my plan :)

Echo
06-19-2011, 04:19 PM
That's how we make hover cars :D

Switchblade
06-19-2011, 04:44 PM
I want a hover car.

Fr0stByte
06-20-2011, 06:11 AM
i think these were the ones used on Mythbusters...(yes i watch it...its awesome)...to see if they could be used to stop a bullet, and they actually did affect its trajectory

Exentenzed
06-20-2011, 11:37 AM
I want a hover car.

Why go hover when you can go flying car.

http://www.skywalkervtol.com/index.html

Switchblade
06-20-2011, 11:40 AM
I'll take anything as long as it doesn't need MOT's, insurance or tax.

Exentenzed
06-20-2011, 06:43 PM
Hah! Good luck on buying anything without getting taxed...
That is, without beeing called a criminal.

GamingWeston
06-29-2011, 11:06 AM
i think these were the ones used on Mythbusters...(yes i watch it...its awesome)...to see if they could be used to stop a bullet, and they actually did affect its trajectory

OK to affect trajectory but did it really stop the bullet?

Exentenzed
06-29-2011, 12:54 PM

OK to affect trajectory but did it really stop the bullet?

@GamingWeston, Snake_Eyes provided you with an answer in his sentence, and thus renders your question redundant. :P

GamingWeston
06-29-2011, 01:54 PM
@GamingWeston, Snake_Eyes provided you with an answer in his sentence, and thus renders your question redundant. :P

OK lets go grammar-nazi. Affecting the trajectory can mean that they managed to change 0.00001 degree. This means it didn't stop it. Or affecting the trajectory can mean that the bullet turned lets say 100° which can be interpreted as stopping the bullet since it didn't hit the target, not even near.

Psychotray
07-08-2011, 10:17 AM
I didn't see it on an episode of Mythbuster's, I saw it on a site somewhere. And now here.