PDA

View Full Version : What's your Job?

foof
07-21-2011, 11:06 PM
Hey everyone. Just got off a pretty long shift. Pretty crappy job today too.

I work for an air conditioning business. More of an apprentice right now. No, it's not my dream job. It's a job to make money until I go into the Navy on September 1st.

So my question to you guys is: If you have a job,

What is it?

Do you like it?

Any interesting stories?

egg-whites333
07-21-2011, 11:08 PM
i go to high school but dont get paid just work so i get paid a few years down the road

ROFLBRYCE
07-21-2011, 11:44 PM
I work at the local video store, no big chain just a one store thing. I like it there most days. My boss can be an ass if we mess up, but it's okay most of the time. He brings snacks and crap for the staff, like ice cream sandwiches and stuff lol. Have a lot of stories about real a-hole people, but rather not tell em cause it just frustrates me gaahhhhh if you don't want late fees, bring back your crap on time people. Seriously. Don't ***** about it!

Psychotray
07-22-2011, 01:54 AM
I attend High School, and Im going to be doing film making, so I'll see how I go from there.

Jokersvirus
07-22-2011, 03:49 AM
Dont have a job at the moment tried to get hired for temp jobs but never got a phonecall back. Im in college and im hoping for a big ass refund this semester so i wont have to worry about money

Jayhmmz
07-22-2011, 07:23 AM
I used to work at a well paid job for the civil service, where I stayed for two years to save some money up and to get experience. It was very stressful, so I couldn't have stuck it out for much longer than I did, unless I had my own house and a family to feed (which I didn't, and still don't).

I was earning just over £1,000 per month, and considering I don't drive and that my parents insisted that I didn't have to contribute towards bills, I only had my contract phone bill to pay off, and I had the rest to do whatever I wanted to do with it.

So, I've been travelling for the past year, figuring out what I wanted to do for a career. That turned out to be a journalist/critic! So, I've been blogging since December, and now I write for an internet magazine based out in San Francisco, and I now own my own website with a couple of friends doing similar stuff, but we're aiming to eventually make it into something big, and make a career out of it! If the idea fails and nothing comes out of it, then at least I would have built myself up an online portfolio of my work for a potential employer to look at :)

From the money I had saved up from the last job, I'm more than secure in the financial department, so I can afford to put my back into unpaid work like my website, to try make something happen! :)

HamadaLFC8
07-22-2011, 07:30 AM
I get paid for keeping GF clean >: (

lol jk I go to Universtiy! :P

W1CKEDTW1STED
07-22-2011, 08:11 AM
I'm a Systems / Network Administrator for a GPS vehicle tracking company. We have 6 offices and 250 users I manage both locally and remotely. I occasionally travel to our other offices. :)

paecmaker
07-22-2011, 09:12 AM
I finished "high school" earlier this summer but Im going to read up on a few things before I start to look at college or university.

XnewxskinX
07-22-2011, 09:48 AM
I don't have a job... I am looking into going to college, but problem is I don't exactly know what I want to do. :( I want to own my own business... But I don't know if that will ever really happen.

StanTheMan
07-22-2011, 02:10 PM
Im just now going to be a Junior in high school and I just umpire local baseball games from ages 7-10. Got to know the right people and made $1,100 last season. This isn't at all me dream job, just something to pay for gas, insurance, and things of my choosing. Im looking to go into engineering or welding after college

Dess
07-22-2011, 03:53 PM
Rooms Division Manager for a large hotel management company.

Responsible for:

Keeping everyone in Front Desk, Housekeeping, and Sales in line.
Accessing Payroll
Accounts Payable
Accounts Receivable
Rates and Inventory
( Just about everything in Accounting actually)
Interviewing, hiring, and firing
Inspecting rooms
Managing brand standards
Handling Guest Complaints
Minor maintenance stuff when no one else is here
Ordering ..... everything....lol

and I've been nominated as our in house IT person so I do all the networking and computer stuff too...lol

and whatever the hell else they want me to do. I switch properties a lot so I've been a few places in different hotels. Started out as a front desk clerk about 6 years ago.. lol.
Worked for all 3 major Hotel Chains ( Hilton, IHG, and Marriott. )

Right now they have me in Idaho at a Holiday Inn Express, but this one is starting to run smoothly, so they'll probably be sending me somewhere else soon. I usually don't stay at any given property for more than 2 years. So I'll be out of here in about a year and a half.

Th3-devils-princess
07-22-2011, 04:05 PM
i have a really boring job :( im a home shopper at asda supper store :(

have to go round and do peoples shopping who order online sooooooo boring :(

i want to do something better (dream job photographer) :(

Synge
07-22-2011, 04:11 PM
@ Damage: Damn, sounds like they've got you pretty busy. Also, way to go workin you're way up the ladder!

I work at my uncle's shop and as a temp at the pet food manufacturer my roommate works for (when I need extra cash). They're both sh*t jobs but working with my uncle is cool.

Diligence109
07-22-2011, 09:45 PM
I AM A SANDWICH ARTIST.

I take pride in every day

I spend making subs in Subway~

egg-whites333
07-22-2011, 11:38 PM
well ijust got a job as a food person in a giant world wide company stupid minamum wage McDonald dont jusdge im young and not my dream job thats supreme fry man jks i dont know quite yet btw just got the job 2 days ago

Psychotray
07-23-2011, 03:45 AM
Im thinking of starting to make short films/sketches and putting them on YouTube. If you've heard, when a (Partnered) YouTuber makes a video, and it gets 1,000,000 views, they get close to $5000, and that is amazing. Imagine how much NigaHiga makes for putting out videos, he gets about 3-5 Million views per video he puts out, and that's about $15000 in the least that he'd be getting. Imagine the possibility's :shocked:

GamingWeston
07-23-2011, 06:24 AM
Im thinking of starting to make short films/sketches and putting them on YouTube. If you've heard, when a (Partnered) YouTuber makes a video, and it gets 1,000,000 views, they get close to $5000, and that is amazing. Imagine how much NigaHiga makes for putting out videos, he gets about 3-5 Million views per video he puts out, and that's about $15000 in the least that he'd be getting. Imagine the possibility's :shocked:

It must be a dream came true but what are your chances to get 1m views? This is so random as I see. People who make quality content get some dozen views and some people make crap and get 1m views. No one can guarantee that people will want to see you real quality content instead of annoying orange crap videos. Sad.

And to be on topic: I currently work as a web application tester, this is my student job. I got my bachelor degree in June and in September I'll be back to school to get my master's degree in programming.

Dess
07-23-2011, 01:24 PM
I AM A SANDWICH ARTIST.

And you make them very well. I love me some Dili Sammiches.

Diligence109
07-23-2011, 06:26 PM
And you make them very well. I love me some Dili Sammiches.

I'm glad I have people on the forum to account for my sandwich making abilities :D

I have prepared 24 quality sandwiches today. I had to look up how many units I've sold in the register to confirm this. I'm... totally not posting this from work.

Muffinbat
07-23-2011, 11:45 PM
I'm glad I have people on the forum to account for my sandwich making abilities :D

I have prepared 24 quality sandwiches today. I had to look up how many units I've sold in the register to confirm this. I'm... totally not posting this from work.

Only 24? I figured you would have a pretty busy job, though you do work on the late side don't you?

I work for a smallish brewery, I have done everything that could possibly be done excluding sales(though I had to drive around one of the sales people and help with some deliveries do to him having a DUI...) actually brewing and kegging. So my current job entails general office work, helping on the bottleing line, lab work, putting together pallets for shipments and receiving shipments, mailing sample requests, making tap handles, weekly inventory ect....

Samus-Fan
07-24-2011, 01:15 AM
In high school, but I picked up a full time job for the summer. We take those fluorescent light fixtures, open them up, replace the ballasts, and then close them up. Get 5 bucks a light, I've made up to 200 bucks in one day, so it's not terrible. Super flexible hours, as long as we call 24 hours in advance, I can take time off.
Nothing really interesting. Been working above some really rude/funny people. I was told to go fix some lights in the stairs by some random lady where we were at, and it ended up that the light switch just wasn't on. Stupid lady.

GamingWeston
07-24-2011, 02:17 PM
Get 5 bucks a light, I've made up to 200 bucks in one day, so it's not terrible. Super flexible hours, as long as we call 24 hours in advance, I can take time off.

This sounds like a really cool student job! I wish I could have had such a job when I was in high school. But back then there was only crap job for students.

ROFLBRYCE
07-25-2011, 10:54 AM
I AM A SANDWICH ARTIST.

Now I want you to make me a sammich. I get subway each day I work. for lunch. I could take a footlong from Dili 5 days a week.

Innueeeeennnddooooooo

Koudelka
07-26-2011, 03:51 PM
I hold a student worker job at my university. It's one of the most easy jobs I've ever had in my life. It pays $7.75/hour but since the job is so easy it's understandable to be paid so little.

I just sit in a computer lab, make sure people don't misuse or steal the computers that the students use. If there's any computer problems, I try to fix it. If I can't, I just assign them a different computer.

That's it.

DorkDiggler
08-02-2011, 01:16 PM
I'm a games tester. for :lipsrsealed:

BitterKingSkyler
08-02-2011, 07:10 PM
When summer vacation ends, I'll be attending my last year of high school (finally!) as to what career I want to have once I get out...I have no idea =p. I'll probably go to college.

Jayhmmz
08-02-2011, 07:22 PM
When summer vacation ends, I'll be attending my last year of high school (finally!) as to what career I want to have once I get out...I have no idea =p. I'll probably go to college.

Only go to College if you're damn sure about what you wanna do in the future! Sure, the experience will be amazing, regardless. However, you would have ended up wasting valuable time if you realised that you've wasted a couple years of your life taking no further steps towards your potential career.

Onyxah
08-06-2011, 04:55 PM
School, and deliver car parts :), pretty easy job, pay sucks!

Slay
08-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Drummer.
:P

paecmaker
08-06-2011, 05:59 PM
Drummer.
:P

I used to play drums but sadly I havent done it so much now :(

ATM my drumroom is now used as a store room so I can barely go in there.

Slay
08-06-2011, 06:04 PM
Usaully my drums are in my car so they don't take up much room.
:3

Mizel
08-08-2011, 11:46 AM
I used to play drums but sadly I havent done it so much now :(

ATM my drumroom is now used as a store room so I can barely go in there.
I feel your pain, same thing with mine :( Only I wish I got paid to drum haha :P

I work for an ice cream company setting up our new hires with proper training. But more recently they got word I know coding so now Ive set up their website and am working on the forums for them (which I love). Id love to get a job where I just strictly code, but I didnt go to school for it :(

Slay
08-08-2011, 06:21 PM
I feel your pain, same thing with mine :( Only I wish I got paid to drum haha :P

I work for an ice cream company setting up our new hires with proper training. But more recently they got word I know coding so now Ive set up their website and am working on the forums for them (which I love). Id love to get a job where I just strictly code, but I didnt go to school for it :(

What language, I will be setting up a site here soon and I will be paying to help me out.

Bertrum
08-08-2011, 09:58 PM
I am a driving instructor :) Though if I was given a good enough opportunity, I would change my career lol

Mizel
08-09-2011, 08:54 AM
What language, I will be setting up a site here soon and I will be paying to help me out.

Over the years Ive taught myself H/XTML, CSS and more recently PHP.... Learning HTML sort of started out as a hobby for me as a kid, but then I realized how much I loved the aspect of coding :) What kind of site are you planning?

I am a driving instructor :) Though if I was given a good enough opportunity, I would change my career lol

Wow, I can only imagine how stressful, yet entertaining that must be! lol Just -thinking- about instructing kids makes me nervous.... reminds me of teaching my little brother to drive :P

Bertrum
08-09-2011, 09:21 AM
Wow, I can only imagine how stressful, yet entertaining that must be! lol Just -thinking- about instructing kids makes me nervous.... reminds me of teaching my little brother to drive :P

It is very repetitive lol

Mizel
08-09-2011, 10:09 AM

I bet lol Anyone ever wreck or do anything really ridiculous?!

paecmaker
08-09-2011, 10:10 AM

You must know every street and corner in the close vicinity then, and all trouble places.

Bertrum
08-09-2011, 10:48 AM
I bet lol Anyone ever wreck or do anything really ridiculous?!
Well in England we drive on the left side of the road, coming up to a min round about, you turn left it's obvious, student indicates right and tries to drive across it into oncoming traffic. I wasn't best pleased haha

You must know every street and corner in the close vicinity then, and all trouble places.
Well luckily I live in a nice area so I don't see too much bad stuff :P

Mizel
08-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Well in England we drive on the left side of the road, coming up to a min round about, you turn left it's obvious, student indicates right and tries to drive across it into oncoming traffic. I wasn't best pleased haha

Woooooow >_< Lol

paecmaker
08-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Remeber when I was taking my driving license, Im happy that I passed cause I dont want to do that again :p

Mizel
08-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Remeber when I was taking my driving license, Im happy that I passed cause I dont want to do that again :p

Evil parallel parking!! >_<

Bertrum
08-10-2011, 11:32 AM
Evil parallel parking!! >_<

Hahaha it's easy :P

Mizel
08-10-2011, 11:43 AM
Hahaha it's easy :P

Psh, easy. Ive only accomplished it once and that was for my test haha AND I lived in the city for a few months, not being able to.... that sucked :P

paecmaker
08-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Psh, easy. Ive only accomplished it once and that was for my test haha AND I lived in the city for a few months, not being able to.... that sucked :P

The worst part that I thought about the test wasnt the things they told me to do, it was the way oen of them acted.

The first one was silent and said almost nothing at all (except silent uhhmms and hmm) I thought I did everything wrong and just was really nervous that I did wrong. And then THE car came.

He drove sooooo slow and I just panicked, what should I do now, do I have to drive past him. Accually he didnt drive that slow it only felt like it. I can tell you I tried to drive past him but failed. Without going into details I failed and had to abort the drive past. THAT god forsaken manouver costed me my drivence license for that try, I would have gotten it if it werent for that thing.

Later all the driving instructors just asked me why I tried to drive past that car, the worst part was that I didnt have an answer for that.

The second try was with some other guy that was very talkative and nice, I wasnt as nervous when driving for him and did alright, I had drive past a car again in the beginning but even if it wasnt perfect it wasnt bad enough to be a complete fail, so I got my license that day :D (And I havnt driven past a single car after that)

Just not to derail the thread to much I will start my studying in adult school in a few days now.

Mizel
08-10-2011, 07:47 PM
The worst part that I thought about the test wasnt the things they told me to do, it was the way oen of them acted.

The first one was silent and said almost nothing at all (except silent uhhmms and hmm) I thought I did everything wrong and just was really nervous that I did wrong. And then THE car came.

He drove sooooo slow and I just panicked, what should I do now, do I have to drive past him. Accually he didnt drive that slow it only felt like it. I can tell you I tried to drive past him but failed. Without going into details I failed and had to abort the drive past. THAT god forsaken manouver costed me my drivence license for that try, I would have gotten it if it werent for that thing.

Later all the driving instructors just asked me why I tried to drive past that car, the worst part was that I didnt have an answer for that.

The second try was with some other guy that was very talkative and nice, I wasnt as nervous when driving for him and did alright, I had drive past a car again in the beginning but even if it wasnt perfect it wasnt bad enough to be a complete fail, so I got my license that day :D (And I havnt driven past a single car after that)

Just not to derail the thread to much I will start my studying in adult school in a few days now.

Hahaha, thats great! You shoulda said "The b*st*rd was driving too slow!!" :P Least you did it the second time though! :) They should let everyone get 2 tries on the actual 1st try since everybody is so nervous! I got lucky with mine, and the guy was just fat and lazy and did notttt care lol Passed me even with my horrible attempt at parallel parking >_<

I feel so old, Im all done wif school :[ Good luck! :)

paecmaker
08-11-2011, 03:25 AM
well thank you.

Muffincat
08-24-2011, 09:20 AM
I start a new job at a store that sells minerals/crystals today :3

It's a really awesome store with a super chill boss - let's hope I do well~ :3

*excited*

Mizel
08-24-2011, 09:41 AM

*excited*

That sounds awesome! Good luck :)

mutilations
08-24-2011, 09:46 AM

*excited*

Congrats and good luck! I knew you'd get it. I look forward to hearing about your crystal chronicles. ;) haha.. yeah I'm lame.

Edit: Oh! And my job is to get people drunk for a living. It pays the bills and I hear great stories.

paecmaker
08-24-2011, 10:24 AM
ahh, first day in adult school (is there a special name for that or what?)
I saw around a little and booked times with my teachers, all in all seems like a good thing.

Muffincat
08-24-2011, 05:13 PM
Oh my god, you guys, my job is amazing and I love it and I am so happy <3<3<3

:3

Thanks for the well wishes, Mizel and mutilations :3

ROFLBRYCE
08-24-2011, 06:37 PM

*excited*

Awesome, congrats!

I quit my job, so now I am unemployed, signing up for power engineering correspondence courses tonight, so I'll be able to work as a power engineer in 4-7 months! Until then, I am applying at the local lumber mills for weekend clean-up shifts, I just shovel sawdust and pick up scrap wood for ~$24.50 an hour, once or twice a week. $200 a day, it's enough lol.

Mizel
08-25-2011, 09:35 AM
Awesome, congrats!

I quit my job, so now I am unemployed, signing up for power engineering correspondence courses tonight, so I'll be able to work as a power engineer in 4-7 months! Until then, I am applying at the local lumber mills for weekend clean-up shifts, I just shovel sawdust and pick up scrap wood for ~$24.50 an hour, once or twice a week. $200 a day, it's enough lol.

$24.50/hr?? O_O Ill take that :P Working on picking up kind of a side projct/second job- hope it works out :O I make a decent amount now, but want way too many things xD

ROFLBRYCE
08-25-2011, 11:08 AM
$24.50/hr?? O_O Ill take that :P Working on picking up kind of a side projct/second job- hope it works out :O I make a decent amount now, but want way too many things xD

Lol it's pretty standard for any kind of coal mine, or lumber mill up here. Raise within a few months too. But the power engineering brings in anywhere between $27 and $80/hr depending on how far you wanna go with it. I'm excited, haha. And it requires grade 10 Math and English to enter this course, by the way. >.<

mutilations
08-25-2011, 11:16 AM
Just got a second job doing contract work at a nursing home. It takes full advantage of my organization and list-making skills. I have to keep track of supplies, stay within budget, and find new ways to better keep up with supplies. I also train anyone that takes this position full-time and still come in periodically to make sure things stay on the track that I laid them out on... for 15$/hr no less. ;)

Mizel
08-25-2011, 12:04 PM
Lol it's pretty standard for any kind of coal mine, or lumber mill up here. Raise within a few months too. But the power engineering brings in anywhere between $27 and $80/hr depending on how far you wanna go with it. I'm excited, haha. And it requires grade 10 Math and English to enter this course, by the way. >.<

Wow, thats awesome lol I have no idea what I would do with $80/hr :P I could be making that much if I got a job based on my Psychology degree but Ive come to realize that I tell people the things they dont want to hear... not good for that practice ;)

Just got a second job doing contract work at a nursing home. It takes full advantage of my organization and list-making skills. I have to keep track of supplies, stay within budget, and find new ways to better keep up with supplies. I also train anyone that takes this position full-time and still come in periodically to make sure things stay on the track that I laid them out on... for 15$/hr no less. ;)

I used to work at a nursing home as well :P Actually really liked it! There were some awesome old people in there- all the residents loved my crazy piercings and tattoos, surprisingly hah....Trying to get a second job, Ive got 2 potential job offers from Suicide Girls type websites- but convincing my fiance to let me take them is not as easy as I thought it would be -__- Oh well, plan B- win the lottery!

XnewxskinX
08-25-2011, 01:35 PM
Oh well, plan B- win the lottery!

Well good luck on that I have been trying for the past 3 months...

Mizel
08-25-2011, 01:47 PM
Well good luck on that I have been trying for the past 3 months...

Hah, yea. I don't even attempt it, waste of money. My luck is no where good enough for those ridiculous odds :P Closest thing I do to that is go to the casino once or twice a year lol

XnewxskinX
08-25-2011, 02:21 PM
Hah, yea. I don't even attempt it, waste of money. My luck is no where good enough for those ridiculous odds :P Closest thing I do to that is go to the casino once or twice a year lol

Yeah my luck sucks for the casino also... I did win $2 last time on the Mega though! I think that was the first time I won anything... Which compared to winning the millions $2 is like a penny... Soooo sad...

Mizel
08-25-2011, 02:55 PM
Yeah my luck sucks for the casino also... I did win $2 last time on the Mega though! I think that was the first time I won anything... Which compared to winning the millions $2 is like a penny... Soooo sad...

For some reason I always come out with exactly what I had to start with at the casino Actually went this weekend- put $20 in, made a bunch, lost it all and cashed out with $20 lol.... hey, $2 is better then nothing at least! ;)

norid
08-26-2011, 12:35 AM
I'm hoping to work at Pet Co but college is my top concern

ROFLBRYCE
08-26-2011, 11:14 AM
Trying to get a second job, Ive got 2 potential job offers from Suicide Girls type websites- but convincing my fiance to let me take them is not as easy as I thought it would be -__-

He's crazy!!!! Crazy I tell you!!!!

@Norid: Petco would be an awesome place to work. I'd probably get laid off though, trying to play with the puppies the whole time lmao.

Mizel
08-26-2011, 11:38 AM
I'm hoping to work at Pet Co but college is my top concern

That would be bad news bears for me- I would probably end up with SOOOO many pets if I worked there :P

He's crazy!!!! Crazy I tell you!!!!

Hah, thats what I said. When we first met he thought it was great, now for some reason wont even entertain the idea -__- And the compensation you get per pic posted is ridiculous lol To me it's basically like money for nothing :P Oh well, I shall keep trying!