PDA

View Full Version : Do You Make Notes?

Triton
10-05-2011, 06:03 PM
In the past I have tended to make lots of game notes, especially if I had learnt a code or password (within in the game not a cheat), also directions in adventure games.. I have game notes going back years even to some games that no longer exist.

These days I rarely make notes unless its a code etc I try to rely on memory alone:shocked:

Slay
10-05-2011, 07:27 PM
I use to play source engine games, I would keep notes on certain lines of code, that is about it.

ReMiXeDg
10-05-2011, 07:48 PM
I've never took notes or wrote down directions. This is a good idea to do , I might use this for the new upcoming Elder Scrolls hopefully its a huge map and I can get lost :)

Mizel
10-06-2011, 08:30 AM
I guess it all depends on what game. Some games, like Zombies Ate My Neighbors, you have to write down codes and such to get back to the level you were at. But generally, if I the game let's you make notes I -always- do because I have the attention span and memory of a goldfish -__-

Triton
10-06-2011, 08:37 AM
After putting up this thread I came across my Zelda notes, decided to leave them in my games drawer, I want to rely on memory and if needs skill:shocked:

Mizel
10-06-2011, 08:42 AM
Haha :P I -wish- I could rely on memory >.>

Zelda
10-06-2011, 09:10 AM
It depends on the game. When I play Zelda games I will sometimes make notes. Especially utilized the note feature in Phantom Hourglass. I also make a lot of notes when playing mystery games. Andd... when I first got Assasin's Creed II I had to write down all the controls because they were so confusing to me. haha So yeah, I'd say I make gaming notes fairly often.

Mizel
10-06-2011, 09:14 AM
It depends on the game. When I play Zelda games I will sometimes make notes. Especially utilized the note feature in Phantom Hourglass.

This was the game that came to my mind first when I read "take notes"! haha Im soooo glad you had the ability to in PH, otherwise Idda been screwed O_o

Zelda
10-06-2011, 10:04 AM
Oh, for real!! I was like, YESHHHH!!!!! when I saw that feature! haha It was a grand idea for LoZ games period. :) I hope they implement something like that in future games too.

Fr0stByte
10-06-2011, 11:19 AM
cant say ive never made any notes on gaming related material...maybe apart from a few cheats

LiNuX
10-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Not sure if this counts, but I've written stuff (typed usually) for friends who were stuck in certain points in games that I've already played.

Besides that, don't think I've taken any notes down for myself.

Blackbird
10-06-2011, 01:12 PM
I know a friend that take notes in like DDTank or something similiar, when he does that there is no way to miss his opponents, so wasn't that fun to play against him since he won't miss.
Same goes as the game called Pangya, you need to write notes to become the very best player.

Triton
10-07-2011, 02:51 PM
Not sure if this counts, but I've written stuff (typed usually) for friends who were stuck in certain points in games that I've already played.

Besides that, don't think I've taken any notes down for myself.

I've sort of done that for a friend who's into racing sims. Example, we both have GT5 so I written down cars to help him through levels and stuff like that.

BobTD
10-09-2011, 10:52 PM
I remember when I was younger and my parents thought gaming was evil. And they limited my play time except on a few games they thought where "educational" like Oregon trail.

They had a journal option in there. Looking back I bet that was for game note taking.

I actually used it for a journal, because members of my caravan would die or something notable would happen. So I filled in the weak story content with my own elaborations. So when a character bacame sick, I would write about how poor Tod had fallen from the wagon into a river, and was swept downstream and clung to a rock. And by the time we pulled him out he had hypothermia and developed a fervor.

Or the odd time someone die from an accident with little explanation, I would write about how a log feel on them when they where clearing the road. Or a bear at the children who where picking berries.

after my parents noticed the journal they must have read it because they stopped liking that game.

Mizel
10-10-2011, 07:54 AM
Hahaha, that's hilarious! I image that your stories must have made the game much more exciting :P

ROFLBRYCE
10-10-2011, 10:47 AM
Never ever took notes before, but thinking about it for Minecraft and LoL. Just coords, reminders, build orders, etc.

Trunks
10-10-2011, 02:00 PM
The only games I ever written down any notes for is the Monkey Island series. It'd be almost impossible to beat without a guide if you didn't take any notes.

Diligence109
10-10-2011, 02:08 PM
The only games I ever written down any notes for is the Monkey Island series. It'd be almost impossible to beat without a guide if you didn't take any notes.

I only ever took notes for puzzle/adventure games like this, though I only played about half of Monkey Island 4 :(

I took notes with pen and paper for puzzles in the Myst series, The Neverhood Chronicles, and like games, though.

Oh, and I've done plenty of math crafting for League of Legends but all of those notes are digital.

I remember when I was younger and my parents thought gaming was evil. And they limited my play time except on a few games they thought where "educational" like Oregon trail.

They had a journal option in there. Looking back I bet that was for game note taking.

I actually used it for a journal, because members of my caravan would die or something notable would happen. So I filled in the weak story content with my own elaborations. So when a character bacame sick, I would write about how poor Tod had fallen from the wagon into a river, and was swept downstream and clung to a rock. And by the time we pulled him out he had hypothermia and developed a fervor.

Or the odd time someone die from an accident with little explanation, I would write about how a log feel on them when they where clearing the road. Or a bear at the children who where picking berries.

this is adorable XD I definitely did things like this with some games when I was much younger though I don't remember any explicit details like this.

Valkyr
10-10-2011, 02:25 PM
I'm pretty sure cheats wouldn't count as notes. So the only game I can think of that I'v made notes for is Zelda. Oh yeah and I'v written down some notes for Morrowind and Oblivion. As said before, I think it just depends on the game.

NightCreature
11-15-2011, 02:08 PM
Ill post pictures of my wall eventually. Its Covered with cheats, unlockables and item locations

hidekipooj
11-24-2011, 07:15 PM
The older games like the point and click adventure games REQUIRED note-taking. Myst anyone?

Not so much anymore.

Triton
11-25-2011, 04:28 PM
The older games like the point and click adventure games REQUIRED note-taking. Myst anyone?

Not so much anymore.

I remember those, notes were needed to keep you straight. But the adventure games where you had to type commands or directions, ie the Hobbit was one. I kept reems of notes forthese games just to remember directions.

hidekipooj
11-25-2011, 06:10 PM
I remember those, notes were needed to keep you straight. But the adventure games where you had to type commands or directions, ie the Hobbit was one. I kept reems of notes forthese games just to remember directions.

You mean like Zork? :D

cecilia
11-27-2011, 06:19 AM
ya~is useful cause i keep forget wat i had done

BobTD
11-27-2011, 11:58 PM
Playing an older yet addicting game that came with the latest Indie Bundle, Called Uplink.

Its a retro stylized hacking game based on cheesy movies. But its a lot of fun to hack banks and track logs. The game takes a surprising amount of note taking if you dont have a good memory for numbers. I have pages filled with the account numbers and passwords for peoples bank accounts and transfer logs so I can find more accounts. =P

Zombie47
11-29-2011, 01:55 AM
I guess it all depends on what game. Some games, like Zombies Ate My Neighbors, you have to write down codes and such to get back to the level you were at. But generally, if I the game let's you make notes I -always- do because I have the attention span and memory of a goldfish -__-

When I was younger I played Super nes and a lof of games used codes and number combinations that you should memorize or, if you've got lack of memory like I do, write down to get back to the level you were at. Two fo them were Aladding and Megaman. I always played these games with a sheet and a pen nearby. lol

Mizel
11-29-2011, 07:57 AM
When I was younger I played Super nes and a lof of games used codes and number combinations that you should memorize or, if you've got lack of memory like I do, write down to get back to the level you were at. Two fo them were Aladding and Megaman. I always played these games with a sheet and a pen nearby. lol

Awwww snap, I still remember the one code for Aladdin- ABBABBABBA…. Got you from the first level to the end of the game xD

Kink3bird
11-30-2011, 01:38 AM
lol my PC is literally always filled with almost as much sticky notes and shreds of paper as it is with cigarette ashes!

Anything from places of interest to codes, dates, console commands, websites, cd-keys, ect.

Of course none of them are numbered or titled so most of them just look like pieces of paper with random numbers scribbled all over them. It's weird how my organizational skills work.

ThCEL
12-18-2011, 12:20 AM
i have been wondering who does write notes on the note section of the booklets.. I guess people do..
I thought it was pointless.

BobTD
12-18-2011, 10:12 PM
The old Jurassic Park game where you could play as a raptor or Dr. grant had a section explaining the password screen and there was a password in the example picture that took you pretty far into Dr. Grants storyline. =P

Epic Fail.

Treatment
12-19-2011, 06:24 AM
I Have 2 screens so when im playing i usaully have game on 1 screen and a notepad and website on other

Mizel
12-19-2011, 07:44 AM
The old Jurassic Park game where you could play as a raptor or Dr. grant had a section explaining the password screen and there was a password in the example picture that took you pretty far into Dr. Grants storyline. =P

Epic Fail.

Oh man, the Jurassic Park game- talk about nostalgia :P

iCube
12-20-2011, 05:54 PM
Cant say i make notes very often..

Dhevix
12-26-2011, 03:02 PM
Used to, back in the days of the old Tomb Raider on PS1 and the like.
:')

Kink3bird
12-26-2011, 07:55 PM
Used to, back in the days of the old Tomb Raider on PS1 and the like.
:')

Oh MAN I know you still remember cringing the first time you heard Laura's body fall into a pit of spikes! Now that's nostalgia!

damien345
01-25-2012, 02:25 PM
I don't have to take notes, I usually just rely on my memory (it's one of my strong points). My mom takes notes when she plays arcade adventure games.
You're right, games today aren't as difficult (or maybe we're just getting used to them). My mom only plays games that belong in antique shops.

CoDFreak
01-25-2012, 04:54 PM
I usually won't take notes (meaning almost never) and I'll just wander through the game until I find where I'm suppose to be if I can't remember. It's inefficient but gives more time to explore the game.

Sometimes I would find something, forget about it and rediscover it all over again. Time consuming but fun if it's a good game.

SoopaZombie
02-03-2012, 03:16 PM
There actually has be a couple of different games that i have taken notes on...mostly if it involves some kind of puzzle or maybe an alternate path.

Last game i think i took notes on was Tales of Vesperia, i was trying to write down all the items and weapons i had created i think lol what a pain

cjohn157
07-16-2012, 01:39 PM
I used to make notes constantly on older games but i find that now days u don't need them because games are straight pretty straight with a compass or passwords showing up on the screen.

Dess
07-18-2012, 04:12 PM
I used to write down codes all the time.. especially back in the day when you had to use codes to skip levels when you shut the game off... Then.... I got .... THIS!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a4/Sega-Saturn-GameShark.jpg

and I'm showing my age again....