PDA

View Full Version : skyward sword could've been done with a standard controller and some grease

bob grimm
11-30-2011, 01:50 AM
this isn't a hate thread; what i've played of the game so far has been pretty wonderful, but the controls are increasingly getting in the way. for what it is, the sword play is fun, but the one-to-one motion offered by wii motion plus isn't accurate enough to be functionally much different from say isolating sword control the right analog stick (which is something mgs2 succeeded at ten years ago). in that sense it doesn't justify the promise of the wii like so many reviews have claimed.

still, that's not the source of my complaints. those lie in the other motion controls shoehorned into the experience. flying a loftwing or the mechanical beetle is less than intuitive and always unsatisfying thanks to the wiimote plus. the same goes for tight rope walking, which manages to be less enjoyable than the sixaxis log balancing in the first uncharted. the list goes on from there. in a perfect world, you'd have the option to scale back some of this. and in a some utopia, you'd have the option to use a gamecube controller. at least then there'd be some camera control to take in more of the world.

edit: i mean, zelda games are practically my favorite thing in the world, and yet there's still lists of things i wish nintendo would try or shy away from. so i give them credit for going all in with motion control - i just wish the results had been better

Mordry
11-30-2011, 05:26 AM
Well, first: Welcome to the forum. :)

Then second you sound to me like you actually don't like the motion control after all.

And third: You are kinda right. The sword fight only have 8 possibillities to hit people. Try it, the sword fight actually only have those 8 normal animations that's why a 1:1 motion control is kind of a lie. Not like in Wii Sports Resort Swordfight where really EVERY Sword-Move of yours is getting shown on screen. That's why I'm kinda disappoint by the controls too, but the game itself is my 3. favorite now after OoT and MM. ;)