PDA

View Full Version : Google after SOPA

LiNuX
12-14-2011, 09:52 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Nrt7B.png

Found this on reddit. This is going to be true if SOPA passes.

This world...

ROFLBRYCE
12-14-2011, 09:55 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Nrt7B.png

Found this on reddit. This is going to be true if SOPA passes.

This world...

Saw that earlier. Didn't know if I should laugh or go >:V

I hope that this doesn't go into effect, and spread past the US if it does. Censorship like this is comparable to Nazi Germany during the wars.

Synge
12-14-2011, 10:02 PM
Tomorrow's the big day, let's hope they listened to the people.

LiNuX
12-14-2011, 10:05 PM
must watch this: Stop Online Piracy Act - The Colbert Report - 2011-01-12 - Video Clip | Comedy Central (http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/403465/december-01-2011/stop-online-piracy-act?xrs=playershare_fb)

Mizel
12-15-2011, 10:08 AM
Saw that earlier. Didn't know if I should laugh or go >:V

I hope that this doesn't go into effect, and spread past the US if it does. Censorship like this is comparable to Nazi Germany during the wars.

That’s for sure. This whole thing is just craziness….

ROFLBRYCE
12-15-2011, 11:56 AM
must watch this: Stop Online Piracy Act - The Colbert Report - 2011-01-12 - Video Clip | Comedy Central (http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/403465/december-01-2011/stop-online-piracy-act?xrs=playershare_fb)

Uh oh.

http://i.imgur.com/8uCEU.jpg

LiNuX
12-15-2011, 12:04 PM
Works for me. Could be cuz you're from Canada?

ROFLBRYCE
12-15-2011, 12:17 PM
Works for me. Could be cuz you're from Canada?

Most likely. Was just trying to make a joke that the SOPA video is unavailable. Was gonna lazily photoshop over the screen anyways but didn't have to lol.

Mizel
12-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Most likely. Was just trying to make a joke that the SOPA video is unavailable. Was gonna lazily photoshop over the screen anyways but didn't have to lol.

I lol'd ^_^

LiNuX
12-15-2011, 12:33 PM

Ah...my brain is elsewhere today. But I get it now.

ROFLBRYCE
12-15-2011, 12:35 PM
Ah...my brain is elsewhere today. But I get it now.

It's all the exams man! A couple mind numbing weeks of eggnog, Michael buble's new album, presents and LoL will fix that.

Also wasn't on last night due to ~3 new character patches.

LiNuX
12-15-2011, 01:08 PM
It's all the exams man! A couple mind numbing weeks of eggnog, Michael buble's new album, presents and LoL will fix that.

Also wasn't on last night due to ~3 new character patches.

Yeah the exams and papers. Driving me crazy.

And LoL servers were down anyway. I couldn't even get on.

LemonRising
12-15-2011, 01:27 PM
SOPA better not pass.
D:

If it does there wont even be an internet anymore.

WHAT WOULD WE DO THEN?

Zelda
12-15-2011, 02:42 PM
SOPA better not pass.
D:

WHAT WOULD WE DO THEN?

Die?

(messagetooshort)

paecmaker
12-15-2011, 02:51 PM
Even if Sopa (thrash in swedish and that is exactly what it is) pass it will not be taken easy by the thousands of hackers and stuff on the internet. And isnt the law against freedom of speech?

LiNuX
12-15-2011, 03:00 PM
Even if Sopa (thrash in swedish and that is exactly what it is) pass it will not be taken easy by the thousands of hackers and stuff on the internet. And isnt the law against freedom of speech?

It is.

If it passes, we'll be no better than any dictatorship. Because it'll make so many websites in violation of the law including GF (youtube, facebook, reddit, etc. are a given) from all the user submitted content (videos, pictures, games in the arcade, game reviews, etc.).

paecmaker
12-15-2011, 03:02 PM
It sucks, but come on who would ever wote for something like that.

ROFLBRYCE
12-15-2011, 03:06 PM
SOPA better not pass.
D:

WHAT WOULD WE DO THEN?
We're fine. We're Canadian. Just Reddit will be a lot more quiet :(

As far as I know they're censoring the sites which harbor illegal content, which isn't illegal as you're just taking down what's not allowed to be up already? Except you're not taking it down, but making it so others can't view it. It's like at school or work when you type in a website and you get the "YOURE NOT ALLOWED HERE" screen. Except I think you can just type in the IP address instead of the domain name to get around it, I heard.

Exentenzed
12-15-2011, 04:02 PM
But even if it passes they won't be able to touch sites located outside of the US right?

Most sites would probably just move their servers outside the US, and with it the tax revenues from those. can the US really afford to reduce their income even more?

ROFLBRYCE
12-15-2011, 05:41 PM
But even if it passes they won't be able to touch sites located outside of the US right?

Most sites would probably just move their servers outside the US, and with it the tax revenues from those. can the US really afford to reduce their income even more?

They aren't actually touching the sites are they? They way I understood it was that they go "Hey, Verizon! Comcast! Add "Gamers-Forum" to your "not allowed" list!"

LiNuX
12-15-2011, 06:27 PM

They aren't actually touching the sites are they? They way I understood it was that they go "Hey, Verizon! Comcast! Add "Gamers-Forum" to your "not allowed" list!"

What bryce said.

They can't really shut you down because shutting down a website is too easy, they'll just put it back up on another server. So they just block the URL and all IPs associated with it.

Exentenzed
12-16-2011, 10:45 PM
Oh, so the entire North America is going to be severely affected then! Canada included?!

LiNuX
12-16-2011, 10:46 PM
Oh, so the entire North America is going to be severely affected then! Canada included?!

Well the voting on the bill was canceled for now so it won't affect us any time soon, but they will vote on it again in the future. From what I read, millions of people around the country petitioned their local reps to vote against it, so they decided to cancel it. I was one of the ones to petition my local rep.

So I'm happy for now. But that bill needs to die permanently.

LemonRising
12-17-2011, 12:48 PM
Apparently some of the responses people were getting back were very.. well: I like it so I'm going to vote for it. sorry.

ROFLBRYCE
12-17-2011, 01:06 PM
Indirectly. We could still access the sites, but since the American hosts/mods/admins/people adding all the content to the sites would be unable to anymore, we'd then in turn not be able to access it. Same goes for Europe and anywhere else who would access the sites.

Well the voting on the bill was canceled for now so it won't affect us any time soon, but they will vote on it again in the future. From what I read, millions of people around the country petitioned their local reps to vote against it, so they decided to cancel it. I was one of the ones to petition my local rep.

So I'm happy for now. But that bill needs to die permanently.

Voting back on the 21st, this coming Wednesday.

LiNuX
12-17-2011, 04:27 PM
I guess they decided to change it at the very very last minute....I read they were done with it for a while.

Exentenzed
12-18-2011, 03:05 AM
Well then foresee a great increase in the use of proxies if this bill passes. :P

ROFLBRYCE
12-18-2011, 09:16 AM
I guess they decided to change it at the very very last minute....I read they were done with it for a while.
Yeah they were going to but they snuck a date in to try and make it so the internet wouldn't find out about it. Silly politicians.

Well then foresee a great increase in the use of proxies if this bill passes. :P
Welcome to China. :/

LiNuX
12-18-2011, 11:00 AM
I used to own a proxy...

jmacguire
12-21-2011, 03:38 AM
hey ROFLBRYCE, I agree with you. what should I react on it? you compare it with nazi's but they lose the war. so we can hope for better.