PDA

View Full Version : Sony sued over TOS update

thedeparted
12-20-2011, 12:09 PM
In September, Sony updated its PlayStation Network terms of service to prevent class-action lawsuits. Now that change has itself instigated a class-action lawsuit.

Occupy PlayStation Home?
According to court documents obtained by GameSpot, a Northern California man filed suit against Sony late last month on behalf of all customers who purchased a PlayStation 3 and signed up for PSN access before the September change to Sony's terms of service. The suit alleges that Sony engaged in unfair business practices by forcing consumers to either give up their right to file a class-action lawsuit or give up access to the online gaming network they effectively paid for when they purchased the hardware.

The suit says Sony buried the clause section describing the changes near the bottom of a 21-page form viewable through the PS3 and neglected to post an easily accessible version of the form online, even though it had done so with past user agreement updates. While the suit notes that Sony allowed an opt out from the class-action provision, the only way for consumers to do that was to contact the company in writing (no emails, phone calls, or online forms accepted) within 30 days.

Sony had not responded to a request for comment as of press time.

Sony sued over terms of service update - News at GameSpot (http://www.gamespot.com/news/sony-sued-over-terms-of-service-update-6347852?tag=newstop;title;1)

Well good, i hope they win as well. Shouldn't be allowed to have such a thing in a TOS anyways.

Mizel
12-20-2011, 12:18 PM
Hahaha, yea... totally saw that one coming. And I agree, I dont know how they got away with it in the first place.

thedeparted
12-20-2011, 12:34 PM
EA and Microsoft need to get sued now as well.

PressKean
12-25-2011, 01:11 PM
And that makes it all interesting. Hmm, I really wonder what their lawyers were really thinking when they drafted the agreement. How can one possibly get an exemption to a law suit without proper consideration?

thedeparted
12-25-2011, 01:13 PM
They wanted it so you'd have to sue as individual which puts the regular joe at a huge disadvantage

PressKean
12-25-2011, 01:23 PM
Yeah and they shouldn't be that scared if they work things out properly. Fail, IMO!

Trunks
12-25-2011, 01:32 PM
If sony loses this case, I'm sure Microsoft and EA will be sued shortly after.

BobTD
12-25-2011, 04:35 PM
Games TOS should be handled responsibly, and right now things are getting pretty out of hand. Serious errors like the ones sony made handling personal information should never happen, so I am glad to see people take a stance.

Ultimately I think this is good for the video game industry.

qprider
12-29-2011, 12:55 PM
Agreed ... I like Sony in general, but I think that this will be a good ... warning? reminder? for the video game industry as a whole.

Kink3bird
12-29-2011, 04:53 PM
They wanted it so you'd have to sue as individual which puts the regular joe at a huge disadvantage

Is this what the lawsuit is about? I'm sorry I'm not really familiar with law and stuff so I'm kinda confused as what the actual problem is.