PDA

View Full Version : Top 15 grossing Threequels

thedeparted
01-02-2012, 10:59 PM
Top 15 Grossing Threequels of All Time Gallery - The Hollywood Reporter (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/gallery/top-15-grossing-threequels-all-252562#1)

aka top 15 grossing movies that were the 3rd movie in their franchise. These are worldwide figures btw

Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon $1,119,241,043
LOTR: Return of the King $1,119,110,941
Toy Story 3 $1,063,171,911
POTC: At Worlds End $963,420,425
Spider Man 3 $890,871,626
Ice Age: Dawn of Dinosaurs $886,686,817
Stars Wars 3: Revenge of the Sith $848,754,768
Shrek the Third $798,958,162
Harry Potter Prisoner of Azkaban $796,688,549
Twilight Eclipse $698,491,347
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade $474,171,806
Xmen Last Stand $459,359,555
The Bourne Ultamatum $442,824,138
Terminator 3 $433,371,112
The Matrix Revolutions $427,343,298

Pretty wide margin here.

Trunks
01-02-2012, 11:34 PM
wow Transformers and lord of the rings were really close.

Bertrum
01-03-2012, 06:10 AM
I wouldn't have expected Spiderman 3 to have done so well :o

Mizel
01-03-2012, 10:34 AM
I wouldn't have expected Spiderman 3 to have done so well :o

My thoughts exactly lol Although, I guess no one expected it to be so bad :P

Bertrum
01-03-2012, 10:46 AM
It wasn't a bad movie, I would have expected something like Harry Potter to beat it though lol

thedeparted
01-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Spider Man 3 opened really well. Held the opening record for Domestic at 151 till The Dark Knight broke it the year after. Although most of Spider Man 3 came from non-domestic. 62% in fact

Spider-Man 3 (2007) - Box Office Mojo (http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=spiderman3.htm)

Mizel
01-03-2012, 01:28 PM
I never actually watched SM 2 or 3. Im surprised I was even convinced to watched the first one… not even because I don’t really dig Spiderman…. but because I can’t stand Kirsten Dunst. Just having to look at her face makes me want to punch babies.

Exodyus
01-03-2012, 06:24 PM
I'm really surprised that Transformers III took the Tricharts for most grossing. That's a little mild boggling, honestly.

It was good, but not that good.
Shia's new girl is dumber and uglier than the last one. Wtfmate.

Trunks
01-03-2012, 06:29 PM
You're crazy exo lol. Transformers trilogy had an amazing story arc, the graphics were mind blowing, I watched Transformers 3, 3 times in theaters lol. Watched it regular 3d midnight premier. Almost shat my pants. Then I watched it in IMAX 3D and then I shat my pants. The 3rd time a few friends wanted to go see it, so I went again, and still almost shat my pants. You're taste in movies seem to be quite awkward

Synge
01-03-2012, 06:30 PM
What's crazy is that Transformers hasn't even been out a year o.o

Say what you will about Michael Bay, but his movies bring it ****loads of cash.

Exodyus
01-03-2012, 06:35 PM
Awkward, indeed. I'm not like anyone else, that's for sure. Lol.
I'm just not easily bought with graphics, explosions, and skanks.

And I did say that the movie was good, just not great.

Trunks
01-03-2012, 06:40 PM
Awkward, indeed. I'm not like anyone else, that's for sure. Lol.
I'm just not easily bought with graphics, explosions, and skanks.

And I did say that the movie was good, just not great.

Funny cause I remember you saying that you were blown away by the CG in the green lantern. If you watched transformers just for megan fox then there is no point in reasoning with you.

Exodyus
01-03-2012, 06:45 PM
I actually don't find Megan Fox attractive, to be quite honest. Not to mention, I'm happily married -- so regardless, she's distasteful and gross.

And I'm pretty sure that if you read what I said and my review -- no where in there does it say that I was BLOWN AWAY. I said awesome graphics, or gorgeous. Doesn't mean that was the sole factor or what made the film for me. Tsk.

And why are you trying to reason with me over nothing?

Trunks
01-03-2012, 06:58 PM
I actually don't find Megan Fox attractive, to be quite honest. Not to mention, I'm happily married -- so regardless, she's distasteful and gross.

And I'm pretty sure that if you read what I said and my review -- no where in there does it say that I was BLOWN AWAY. I said awesome graphics, or gorgeous. Doesn't mean that was the sole factor or what made the film for me. Tsk.

And why are you trying to reason with me over nothing?

lol I'm sorry, I forgot how ignorant you are.

Never said that CG was the SOLE FACTOR of the movie.

You're right though, not sure why I try to reason or discuss anything with you. I didn't mean you offend you by discussing a topic on forums about a movie that is conveniently located under a sub forum called movies. I forgot that you are supposed to discuss these types of things. Sorry, won't happen again broski

thedeparted
01-03-2012, 07:09 PM
What's crazy is that Transformers hasn't even been out a year o.o

Say what you will about Michael Bay, but his movies bring it ****loads of cash.

Nearly 2 billion domestic, on The Island and Bad Boy didn't get 100 million domestic. I wonder where he goes from here or at least I hope he's going to do something else then the Tranformers franchise.

http://boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?id=michaelbay.htm

EpsilonX
01-03-2012, 10:22 PM
wow Transformers and lord of the rings were really close.

Was Transformers 3 in 3D? If so, the higher priced tickets for the 3D version would put it at the top.

thedeparted
01-03-2012, 10:24 PM
Yeah im pretty sure it was

EpsilonX
01-03-2012, 10:29 PM
I didn't even see that argument, Geez guys. Why are you arguing? To lots of people, Exodyus included, Transformers movies are nothing more than hot girls and explosions. No offense Trunks, but Exodyus clearly won this one. You're trying to argue over nothing...

egg-whites333
01-03-2012, 11:01 PM
eps i disagree sure theres megan fox and the other one whos way more hot but still i find them a fun thing to watch i would watch transformers over most movies out there if you pay attention to the story and not the boobs you may argree

EpsilonX
01-04-2012, 12:20 AM
eps i disagree sure theres megan fox and the other one whos way more hot but still i find them a fun thing to watch i would watch transformers over most movies out there if you pay attention to the story and not the boobs you may argree

Well, I enjoyed the movie, but i'm just saying there are lots of people that saw it as nothing more than explosions and stuff. There certainly were a lot of those. If i'm going to watch something for a good story though, it's not transformers.

Trunks
01-04-2012, 07:31 AM
I didn't even see that argument, Geez guys. Why are you arguing? To lots of people, Exodyus included, Transformers movies are nothing more than hot girls and explosions. No offense Trunks, but Exodyus clearly won this one. You're trying to argue over nothing...

Hard to win something that is a matter of personal opinion. If you go into a movie just wanting to see hot girls and explosions then yeah, you're probably not going to like it that much. I grew up watching the transformers cartoon, that show was awesome. Then they made a live action movie of transformers with most of the same voice actors for the transformers. Shia LaBeouf has the main actor, which he turned out to be one of my favorite actors ( his newer movies suck though, he's starting to piss me off.)

The transformers series is probably my favorite trilogy. I don't watch it for the chicks or explosions. I remember talking to you about story lines before epsilon and you're the one who though halo didn't have a story. So i suppose I'm wasting my time. I

egg-whites333
01-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Well, I enjoyed the movie, but i'm just saying there are lots of people that saw it as nothing more than explosions and stuff. There certainly were a lot of those. If i'm going to watch something for a good story though, it's not transformers.

wait what? tarnsformers had a greaat story line!!!! the movie kept me on edge the whole time and i wtch them over and over.

EpsilonX
01-04-2012, 02:42 PM
Hard to win something that is a matter of personal opinion. If you go into a movie just wanting to see hot girls and explosions then yeah, you're probably not going to like it that much. I grew up watching the transformers cartoon, that show was awesome. Then they made a live action movie of transformers with most of the same voice actors for the transformers. Shia LaBeouf has the main actor, which he turned out to be one of my favorite actors ( his newer movies suck though, he's starting to piss me off.)

The transformers series is probably my favorite trilogy. I don't watch it for the chicks or explosions. I remember talking to you about story lines before epsilon and you're the one who though halo didn't have a story. So i suppose I'm wasting my time. I

Halo was boring to me. When I mean story, I mean something like Final Fantasy. THAT is a story. Of course everything has a story. Even Friday the 13th has a story.

Movies I consider to have good stories: Dark Knight, 2001, Gran Torino, Shutter Island.
Games I consider to have good stores: Metal Gear Solid series, Dragon Age, Xenosaga, Persona 3.

Yes, halo has a story, but it's not the main focus of the game. I like games where the story is so omnipresent you can taste it. If I watch a movie for the story, it's going to be a movie with such a HUGE focus on the story

I'm not saying you're wrong for enjoying the story of Transformers. But I don't consider it to be a story-based movie, I consider it to be a fun action movie. Exo thinks that the movie's main draw is robots and explosions. That's his opinion, and you were insulting him for thinking that, which is why I said you should give up.

Trunks
01-04-2012, 03:04 PM
Halo was boring to me. When I mean story, I mean something like Final Fantasy. THAT is a story. Of course everything has a story. Even Friday the 13th has a story.

Movies I consider to have good stories: Dark Knight, 2001, Gran Torino, Shutter Island.
Games I consider to have good stores: Metal Gear Solid series, Dragon Age, Xenosaga, Persona 3.

Yes, halo has a story, but it's not the main focus of the game. I like games where the story is so omnipresent you can taste it. If I watch a movie for the story, it's going to be a movie with such a HUGE focus on the story

I'm not saying you're wrong for enjoying the story of Transformers. But I don't consider it to be a story-based movie, I consider it to be a fun action movie. Exo thinks that the movie's main draw is robots and explosions. That's his opinion, and you were insulting him for thinking that, which is why I said you should give up.

I understand where you're coming from

Also, I was insulting him for being a hypocrite not for his opinion.

EpsilonX
01-04-2012, 03:29 PM
I understand where you're coming from

Also, I was insulting him for being a hypocrite not for his opinion.

I didn't see anything hypocritical coming from his end, but maybe there's something I missed. Oh well.

Glad you get where i'm coming from, btw, even if we don't share the opinion.

paecmaker
01-04-2012, 03:30 PM

I enjoyed the two first transformers movies (havnt seen the third) and I liked them. However the story wasnt the best, full of holes and illogical things, just one thing.

How come no one knew of the robots in the second movie, they wrecked a WHOLE city in the end scene. And the fact is that we only see US soldiers wherever they are on the planet, China, Egypt doesnt matter, US guys only(I know its an US movie but still)

Trunks
01-04-2012, 03:41 PM
I enjoyed the two first transformers movies (havnt seen the third) and I liked them. However the story wasnt the best, full of holes and illogical things, just one thing.

How come no one knew of the robots in the second movie, they wrecked a WHOLE city in the end scene. And the fact is that we only see US soldiers wherever they are on the planet, China, Egypt doesnt matter, US guys only(I know its an US movie but still)

A lot of movies are filed with holes lol. I can't really think of a movie that isn't, there is always parts in movies that you can say, why didn't he just do that.

When they first attacked the city they looked like tanks and aircraft. I'm assuming very few stopped to watch and see the fight. So they wouldn't have saw them transformer to robots. Also, no video evidence most people won't believe anyone.

Also it's a movie bro, they didn't get any china, or Egypt actors apparently.

Transformers isn't a psychological thriller. Not supposed to be a movie you sit and think about. Good story, awesome action scenes and gives you a good feeling in your stomach after watching it. What more could you ask for.

I didn't see anything hypocritical coming from his end, but maybe there's something I missed. Oh well.

Glad you get where i'm coming from, btw, even if we don't share the opinion.

It's from another thread, he apparently changed his opinion from one thread to another.

paecmaker
01-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Also it's a movie bro, they didn't get any china, or Egypt actors apparently.

Transformers isn't a psychological thriller. Not supposed to be a movie you sit and think about. Good story, awesome action scenes and gives you a good feeling in your stomach after watching it. What more could you ask for.

And that was exactly why I enjoyed it, I love any good movie with big explosions and badassery. :p

Kenoi
01-04-2012, 10:37 PM
man, thats crazy, and I STILL HAVEN'T WATCHED TRANSFORMERS 3. hahaha
I only watched the one below it out of that whole list... haha.

Exodyus
01-05-2012, 10:04 AM
I just ignored him for being child.

No skin off my back, Eps. Lol.
I stated facts about a movie, my opinion, and he cried.
Whatever. Kids will be kids.

Muffincat
01-05-2012, 10:12 AM
Everyone, if you're going to argue, don't call people names. We can be more mature than that. There's nothing wrong with discussing differences, but please do it in a way that doesn't belittle anyone.

Kenoi
01-05-2012, 11:06 AM
tell it like it is muffincat! where has the peace gone... I didn't call anyone names though.... I had to double check too... haha

thedeparted
01-05-2012, 12:01 PM
man, thats crazy, and I STILL HAVEN'T WATCHED TRANSFORMERS 3. hahaha
I only watched the one below it out of that whole list... haha.

Funny. Transformers 3 is the only that I haven't seen. Seen it at Redbox when i rented some stuff but got The Smurfs(for my gf niece.. watched it anyways still sucked) The Guard and Harry Potter Deathly Hallows 2, haven't seen the other 2 yet. Will probably keep them an extra day so my gf can watch with me

Exodyus
01-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Lemme know how the Guard is. I'm curious.

And Transformers 3 is worth seeing, if you've seen the first two. It was better than the second, imo.

Mizel
01-05-2012, 01:02 PM
Lemme know how the Guard is. I'm curious.

And Transformers 3 is worth seeing, if you've seen the first two. It was better than the second, imo.

Def better then the second, I didnt really like 2 at all actually.

Sunsetforgotten
01-05-2012, 02:10 PM
I think LOTR ROTK was ok, but one was the best. It just had so much hype at the time. Never watched transformer 2,3 and wasn't really into the first one.

Trunks
01-05-2012, 02:24 PM

Michael Bay said he was discussed by the 2nd one. He said it was one of his worst projects and that he wished it wasn't even released. I thought it was still good, but definitely the worst of the 3

Mizel
01-05-2012, 02:39 PM
Michael Bay said he was discussed by the 2nd one. He said it was one of his worst projects and that he wished it wasn't even released. I thought it was still good, but definitely the worst of the 3

Yea, I wasn't impressed with the story. Even so it was still amazingggg to watch. The CGI is incredible. Especially watching the extras on how they did it, how meticulous they were about everything. Blew my mind.

paecmaker
01-05-2012, 02:45 PM

One thing that I hated in nr 2 was the parents, they were not funny at all, only highly annoying(In the first one they were atleast funny and didnt take so much room).

Mizel
01-05-2012, 02:54 PM
One thing that I hated in nr 2 was the parents, they were not funny at all, only highly annoying(In the first one they were atleast funny and didnt take so much room).

So... parents that are not funny and highly annoying? What youre saying is they played the part perfectly? :P

paecmaker
01-05-2012, 03:02 PM
So... parents that are not funny and highly annoying? What youre saying is they played the part perfectly? :P

Exactly :D (well his parents were)

Kenoi
01-05-2012, 06:15 PM
I guess it is a good movie.... well, I've only seen the 1st one, not the 2nd or 3rd... I guess i might have to watch the 2nd in order to understand the 3rd (transformers that is) haha