PDA

View Full Version : George Lucas retiring

thedeparted
01-17-2012, 03:27 PM
I’m retiring,” Lucas said. “I’m moving away from the business, from the company, from all this kind of stuff.”

He was careful to leave himself an out clause for a fifth “Indiana Jones” film. But otherwise, “Red Tails” will be the last blockbuster Lucas makes. “Once this is finished, he’s done everything he’s ever wanted to do,” says Rick McCallum, who has been producing Lucas’s films for more than 20 years. “He will have completed his task as a man and a filmmaker.”

Lucas has decided to devote the rest of his life to what cineastes in the 1970s used to call personal films. [We've threatened with this for a while - ben] They’ll be small in scope, esoteric in subject and screened mostly in art houses. They’ll be like the experimental movies Lucas made in the 1960s, around the time he was at U.S.C. film school, when he recorded clouds moving over the desert and made a movie based on an E. E. Cummings poem. During that period, Lucas assumed he would spend his career on the fringes. Then “Star Wars” happened — and though Lucas often mused about it, he never committed himself to the uncommercial world until now.

George Lucas Is Ready to Roll the Credits - NYTimes.com (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/magazine/george-lucas-red-tails.html?_r=1&ref=arts)

Hopefully this is the end of him changing his films!

Mizel
01-17-2012, 03:38 PM
Wow, ‘bout time haha I can’t see him literally retiring though. He’ll be one of those dudes that works forever :P

thedeparted
01-17-2012, 03:43 PM
Yeah he'll probably come back and mess with movie fans one way or another lol

Sunsetforgotten
01-17-2012, 06:59 PM
This should have happened pre- Star Wars 1,2,3. Also Indiana Jones Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Exodyus
01-18-2012, 06:11 AM
This should have happened pre- Star Wars 1,2,3. Also Indiana Jones Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Quoted for Truth.

The first 3 Star Wars never happened to a true Star Wars fan.
When I sit down and veg-out on a Sunday doing nothing and have a Star Wars run, it's always and only, A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi. Lol.

All that other BS with JarJar Binks? Wtf. GTFO. Lol.

Mizel
01-18-2012, 07:07 AM
Lol I love Jar Jar! :P

I think eps 1-3 had great potential, which is the worst part.

Sunsetforgotten
01-18-2012, 02:06 PM
Episode one made me so angry. Jar Jar would have been a cool wookie butler in the originals, but didn't like him in 1,2,3.

Exodyus
01-18-2012, 05:09 PM
1, 2, and 3 would have had potential if they didn't suck so badly.

I don't understand how you can make a movie SUCK with a cast like Liam Neeson, Samuel L., and Miss Portman.

But then you throw in that stupid young-adult Anakin and Jar Jar and you watch the movie bottom out on a trash heap.

How do you go from awesome storyline to graphical sodomy? I dunno.

Sunsetforgotten
01-18-2012, 10:33 PM
How do you go from awesome storyline to graphical sodomy? I dunno.

Probably this

foof
01-18-2012, 11:39 PM
About time for Spielberg does the same. http://s5.tinypic.com/xfykq8_th.jpg

Mizel
01-19-2012, 09:01 AM
2 and 3 I can *barely* watch just based on Christen Haydensen's horrendous acting. The question is.... how do you hire such an awesome cast, and end up with him involved?? lol Was it like..... "Oh man, we're out of time. Just hire anybody, screw auditions!" or was the Casting Director off that day?

If I met George Lucas, and had one single question to ask him... it would be how CH ended up in his movies lol

thedeparted
01-19-2012, 11:39 AM
They were probably looking for a pretty boy and said screw acting abilities

Mizel
01-19-2012, 11:46 AM
Lol Well, Mark Hamill isnt the greatest actor either, so maybe they were just trying to continue that trend :P

Sunsetforgotten
01-19-2012, 06:06 PM
2 and 3 I can *barely* watch just based on Christen Haydensen's horrendous acting. The question is.... how do you hire such an awesome cast, and end up with him involved?? lol Was it like..... "Oh man, we're out of time. Just hire anybody, screw auditions!" or was the Casting Director off that day?

If I met George Lucas, and had one single question to ask him... it would be how CH ended up in his movies lol

He looks weird, too. You'd think it'd be based on looks