PDA

View Full Version : Got around the Wikipedia blackout page?

ROFLBRYCE
01-18-2012, 11:07 AM
Didn't think it'd work but it did. I normally run an AddOn in Firefox called "No Script." This stops any site scripts I don't want or like from running automatically (like googlesyndication, which tracks your activity to provide you "better" search results.)

I had forgot about the Wikipedia blackout, and went to read the random article of the day. It loaded normal, before the blackout screen popped up after a delay. I thought it was kinda weird so clicked my NoScript button and saw they run two page scripts. One called "wikipedia.com" the other "wikimedia". I made it so wikimedia wasn't clicked off, and whubam, instant Wikipedia back!

Only reason I'm saying this here is because there are some college and high school students, and today might be the day of all days where you need Wikipedia. I'm sure most of us are aware of SOPA/PIPA as well, and have acted out accordingly by now if we had planned on it. So there you are guys, if you ABSOLUTELY need it today it's there.

tl;dr: Download NoScript, go to wikipedia, enable the script "Wikipedia.com" but not "Wikimedia", it works fine

LemonRising
01-18-2012, 12:52 PM
I believe it still works on phones, and you can access it from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://m.wikipedia.org/)

: D

ROFLBRYCE
01-18-2012, 01:19 PM
Yep works on phones too, just checked. They just have a big bar at the top saying SOPA SOPA SOPA SOPA.

Not really but close enough lol.

W1CKEDTW1STED
01-18-2012, 02:16 PM
It tells you right here how to get around it from Wikipedia themselves...

Is it still possible to access Wikipedia in any way?
Yes. During the blackout, Wikipedia is accessible on mobile devices and smart phones. You can also view Wikipedia normally by disabling JavaScript in your browser, as explained on this Technical FAQ page. Our purpose here isn't to make it completely impossible for people to read Wikipedia, and it's okay for you to circumvent the blackout. We just want to make sure you see our message.

Source: Why Lifehacker Isn't Black Today (http://lifehacker.com/5877236/why-lifehacker-isnt-black-today)

egg-whites333
01-18-2012, 03:01 PM
im glad they did this :)

CraeSC111
01-18-2012, 03:36 PM
Go Wikipedia. We love you. What's valves view on SOPA?

LiNuX
01-18-2012, 05:23 PM
I had to use wikipedia today to get some info for work, what I did is click the page (from google search result) and before wiki refreshed to the blackout page, I just pressed ESC to stop anything else from running.

Only used it that one time because I had to get some information really quickly.

Already used the info they provided to contact my local reps again. First time this month (did a bunch of times back in December already)

Exodyus
01-18-2012, 05:28 PM
I had no idea that there was even a blackout on Wikipedia. Lmao.

egg-whites333
01-18-2012, 05:28 PM
the only wiki thats up is the sopa one it has a list of all the main companies fighting it

ROFLBRYCE
01-18-2012, 11:11 PM
It tells you right here how to get around it from Wikipedia themselves...

Source: Why Lifehacker Isn't Black Today (http://lifehacker.com/5877236/why-lifehacker-isnt-black-today)

Oh...well I feel less accomplished now...I didn't read the blackout page or google anything was just messing around lol.

You wrecked my moment!!!

:P

egg-whites333
01-18-2012, 11:16 PM
lol some of my freinds obsess over MC and cant get around things bcant play because there computer dumb :P they use the browser and there ragging but now know of sopa wich i hate and im not even from the US :P kinda off topic but still.

GamingWeston
01-19-2012, 07:30 PM
I remember I wanted to read the "cyclocross" article when I stumbled upon the blackout screen. It was a bit lol.
BTW if someone's having an exam and needs the articles, most browsers can disable scripts in the options, and an other solution is to google it and view the cached result. I didn't try it that day but I think the cached results showed a few days old state of the articles.