PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Never Bought A Final Fantasy Before But...

xLykos
02-06-2012, 01:57 AM
I've never bought any other FF games and the only one I've ever played was FF 10 2 and I saw a commercial for it and was like "what the heck... why not?" I've always heard good things about the franchise but was never into when I was younger because I didn't have playstation, so that brings me to the question... would this be a good game for me to buy? And also, is it going to be a good game period?

HamadaLFC8
02-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Whenever I'm unsure about buying a game, I always watch gameplay videos on youtube if they're available yet... try that

ROFLBRYCE
02-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Whenever I'm unsure about buying a game, I always watch gameplay videos on youtube if they're available yet... try that

Not for Final Fantasy, :P

The big thing to remember in this franchise is that while they all have the same name "Final Fantasy," they are in NO WAY WHATSOEVER connected to eachother, unless there's FFX and FFX-2, and 13 and 13-2 which is about to be released. All of them have different stories, characters, universes, and combat systems.

The most popular ones remain to be FF7, FF8, FF10 and FF10-2. FF13, the most recent is fairly popular, but at the same time it's not. It's lacking in what the others had in a huge area: sandbox. It's a fairly linear game up until ~85% through the story line. All the others you can roam and wander and do what you please whenever you want. However, FF13 was the first FF game I actually put any real time into as well. So it may be a good starter for you, but you've seen some pull towards 10-2 so maybe that one as well.

Just be warned: if you really love a Final Fantasy game/the series as a whole, you may lose touch with friends, family, your significant other, co-workers, your boss, get fired, lose your house, and wind up being Hobo Joe on the side of the road spending every cent on gas for his generator he's running the PS3 and TV on. They should really put a warning label for that.

Muffincat
02-06-2012, 12:51 PM
I've never bought any other FF games and the only one I've ever played was FF 10 2 and I saw a commercial for it and was like "what the heck... why not?" I've always heard good things about the franchise but was never into when I was younger because I didn't have playstation, so that brings me to the question... would this be a good game for me to buy? And also, is it going to be a good game period?

I'm confused as to which game you are considering buying. You say you've played X-2 before, but then also say you've seen a commercial for it and want to buy it? Sorry, I'm just a little unclear on which one you're looking at. Did you see a commercial for XIII-2 and want to try that one out? I'm just confused as to why you would be wondering about playing X-2 if you've already played it.

The most popular ones remain to be FF7, FF8, FF10 and FF10-2. FF13, the most recent is fairly popular, but at the same time it's not.

I disagree with this and would say that both X-2 and XIII are pretty unpopular with the majority of Final Fantasy fans. Most people HATE X-2, in my experience.

Final Fantasy VII is the most popular, though I think it's sort of overrated and it's definitely not for you if you're concerned about the latest graphics (not sure if you care about that or not). A lot of people dislike VIII, too, actually. I liked it, but IX is probably my favorite. I'm in the minority on that one, though.

Again, there is a lot of disagreement over each of the games, and every fan has their own favorite. X is pretty popular, has great graphics, and a wonderful story, but it sort of takes a while for it to get out of feeling like a movie. Each game has pros and cons, but Final Fantasy is probably the staple series of the RPG genre.

xLykos
02-06-2012, 02:52 PM
I'm confused as to which game you are considering buying. You say you've played X-2 before, but then also say you've seen a commercial for it and want to buy it? Sorry, I'm just a little unclear on which one you're looking at. Did you see a commercial for XIII-2 and want to try that one out? I'm just confused as to why you would be wondering about playing X-2 if you've already played it.

I disagree with this and would say that both X-2 and XIII are pretty unpopular with the majority of Final Fantasy fans. Most people HATE X-2, in my experience.

Final Fantasy VII is the most popular, though I think it's sort of overrated and it's definitely not for you if you're concerned about the latest graphics (not sure if you care about that or not). A lot of people dislike VIII, too, actually. I liked it, but IX is probably my favorite. I'm in the minority on that one, though.

Again, there is a lot of disagreement over each of the games, and every fan has their own favorite. X is pretty popular, has great graphics, and a wonderful story, but it sort of takes a while for it to get out of feeling like a movie. Each game has pros and cons, but Final Fantasy is probably the staple series of the RPG genre.

13 2, sorry

CraeSC111
02-06-2012, 03:41 PM
I myself would go for 7 cause that was my favorite but like muffin said its graphics suck. Another one I would recommend is 9. Its pretty close to beating 7. :D

xLykos
02-06-2012, 03:51 PM
The question was supposed to be "should I buy Final Fantasy 13 2?" but I kind of forgot to throw that in there...

CraeSC111
02-06-2012, 03:58 PM
You'll probably want to play final fantasy 13 first. I believe they share a storyline

BobTD
02-06-2012, 06:38 PM
Or if you like tactical RPGs the Final Fantasy Tactics for PS1/PSP is in my opinion the best tactics game I have played. And there are a lot of good tactics games.

Synge
02-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Yeah, if you really wanna play 13-2, play 13 first. BUT, if you're looking to get into the series in general you really should play some of the older games first.

As Muffin said, VII, IX and X are excellent and would all be great places to start, they're my top 3 FFs (X>IX>VII). X would be my recommendation and it's actually being remastered in HD for PS3, so that might be something to look into.

ROFLBRYCE
02-06-2012, 10:20 PM
The question was supposed to be "should I buy Final Fantasy 13 2?" but I kind of forgot to throw that in there...

You'll probably want to play final fantasy 13 first. I believe they share a storyline

Dear god yes they do. Just the trailer for 13-2 makes you go HOLY CRAP WHAAAAAATTTTT. Same with gameplay trailer. Lots of WTF in the whole thing. Definitely run through 13 first.

I haven't actually really played many of them. xD I've played 2-6 hours of 1, 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12. I meant X-2 and 13 are popular as in player base, not so much a great game. I know lots of people loved it and lots of people hated it. It's just a talked about game that's got lots of controversy and opinions, that kind of popular lol. 13 was apparently a disappointment from the lack of free-roam, and chunks of the story. I enjoyed the game a lot though, I liked the story. I'm linear > sandbox games anyways (couldn't tell ya why) so it didn't bug me any.

The others I mentioned in being popular were for the same reasons. I've just heard way more mention and discussion on VII, VIII, X, X-2, and 13 than say 3 or 4.

Sunsetforgotten
02-07-2012, 12:31 PM
I've never bought any FF games

:shocked: My god, man

Mizel
02-07-2012, 12:38 PM
:shocked: My god, man

Lol I wish I could "Like" this :P

I thought FF 13 and 13-2 *didnt* share a story line?

Sunsetforgotten
02-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Lol I wish I could "Like" this :P

I thought FF 13 and 13-2 *didnt* share a story line?

I thought they were disconnected but same world.

Mizel
02-07-2012, 12:42 PM
I thought they were disconnected but same world.

Thats the impression I got as well.

Sunsetforgotten
02-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Thats the impression I got as well.

I'm not too sure though. They will probably try to tie in some stuff from the previous. Like finding the buster sword in FF8 though its a "different" world