PDA

View Full Version : Wasteland 2 - fundraising ends 17th of April!

lakersforce
04-02-2012, 08:17 AM
This is a game for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.
Visit the Wasteland 2 page on Kickstarter to donate!

Brian Fargo: I’ve been wanting to get back to this franchise for over 20 years and the entire reason Fallout exists today is because I was unable to make a sequel back in the day, and after I cleared up the legal issues we were not able to get publishers excited unless it was a potential “billion dollar franchise” or they just didn’t want the kind of gameplay experience that classic role playing games offered. It was frustrating!

Fortunately, we are in a different era with thanks to fan based funding and digital distribution. We have a chance to move the power back to the developers, allowing us to make genres of games that publishers just would not support. I had completely given up on making a Wasteland sequel until just recently, and I can tell you the last few weeks have been a blast re-connecting with the fans and working on designs. It reminds me of why I was excited about the games business to begin with.

Wasteland was an epic game changer among the RPG genre and did a wonderful job of creating a sandbox type world that served up morality decisions that players were not used to. Even on recent press tours around the world ranging from Europe to Asia I always without exception would be asked about a Wasteland sequel. Clearly this was a game that resonated with the fans and now for the first time there is hope.

Wasteland 2 will be 100% fan funded game through the Kickstarter website ending April 17th. We know people are naturally concerned with fan funded projects but the input we receive here will help shape what Wasteland 2 becomes. [...] And we are not just looking to bring Wasteland followers to our forums but fans of all the classic RPG’s who want to bring this genre back. When I was at Interplay we produced and financed some of the finest RPG’s made, titles you may remember like Bard’s Tale, Dragon Wars, Stonekeep, Fallout, Icewind Dale, Baldur’s Gate and more. Nothing would please me more than to get back and really show what can be done without interruption from a publisher.

InXile has reached an agreement with Obsidian for potential design assistance for Wasteland 2. What that means is that Obsidian’s Chief Creative Officer, Chris Avellone, is going to work with our team on the design and writing of the game! It is important to note that we say “potential” as they will come aboard assuming we hit $2.1 million in funding.
[...]
For those of you who don’t know who Obsidian or Chris Avellone are, they are the bulk of the brains who worked on Fallout 1&2, Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment when I was back at Interplay. More of the band is back together to make sure we bring you a fantastic RPG. Chris is going to help push the density and literary content of the game.

The original Wasteland was an important game to Chris as he recently stated, “Wasteland is one of my favorite RPGs of all time, and when Brian asked if I wanted to work on the sequel, I jumped at the chance. While I’ve worked on Fallout 2 and Fallout: New Vegas, getting the chance to work on the spiritual predecessor to the Fallout franchise is a honor.”
While the programming work will remain with us here at inXile, we are looking to use a host of tools that Obsidian has created which will help us get assets into the game faster. The faster we can implement and iterate on content, the deeper the game and the more varied choices the gamers can make.