PDA

View Full Version : Online VS. Offline Multiplayer

Hyper_Reality
05-13-2012, 05:43 AM
What do you prefer; online or offline multiplayer? Personally, I enjoy offline multiplayer better. Sure, killing someone on MW3 is fun, but it doesn't compare to the satisfaction you get by killing your friend on N64's Goldeneye and then getting bragging rights for the next 5 minutes. To put it short and simple, offline multiplayer is much more personal than offline. You're usually playing with someone you're familiar with, which means pwn'ing them is that much sweeter. Owning someone online is alright, but where is the satisfaction when you have no clue who they are and you can't see their reaction to them being killed? I have much fonder memories from offline multiplayer and playing with a few friends in the living room beats sitting at the house alone and playing against 11 strangers.

Trunks
05-13-2012, 12:27 PM
I prefer offline multilayer if it's with a big group of people. Nothing like bringing 4 xbox 360's togother, system linking, then playing Halo 3/Reach. Fact, all the good memories come from offline multilayer, all the rage/bad ones come from online.

paecmaker
05-13-2012, 01:22 PM
Having LAN partys is awesome and few things can beat it.

(I saw wrong, I meant to choose offline but got the onlione mp :/)

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

Having LAN partys is awesome and few things can beat it.

(I saw wrong, I meant to choose offline but got the onlione mp :/)

thedeparted
05-13-2012, 03:42 PM
Online MP is filled with the worse scum on earth. At least with offline you know whats up and its casually funner with family and friends vs douche strangers

Mordry
05-14-2012, 05:10 AM
Offline Multiplayer is best, I'll always prefer that.

But Online Multiplayer isn't that bad either, just not as good as to play with friends you know and like. :D

TheGateKeeper
05-14-2012, 02:26 PM
Multiplayer games are more fun for "instant action", but if I want to get immersed in a game I usually go with single player.

BlackEyedJester
05-20-2012, 11:51 PM
I prefer offline multiplayer. But yeah, online is fun too. Just seeing my friend rage when win 20 - 0 in MW2 even though I constantly say "I'm no good a shooters >_< " Is just priceless

CraeSC111
05-21-2012, 05:14 AM
LAN party. Nough said. Actually I find online to be just as fun when playing with friends.

EpsilonX
05-22-2012, 12:35 PM
They all have their perks.

Offline Single Player: allows you to just play, through a campaign or story. Good for if you want to just get involved in a game and forget about life

Online Multiplayer: good if you just feel like killing some other people or raging for a bit. Good if you feel like playing but don't want to have to get involved in a story or deal with the objectives and you just want to fight

Offline Multiplayer: Good if you have some friends over and want to play a game together.

I can't rank one over the other because they all serve different purposes, though I tend not to like online multiplayer because it's never any fun, everybody else is too good and super competitive. usually I just wanna mess around

LemonRising
05-22-2012, 07:54 PM
I like both pretty equally for different reasons. Online is less hassle though lol

Thomass
05-23-2012, 04:28 AM
I prefer only online multiplayer. I don't know why, but it is way more fun

nvrgtgnjdgd
06-18-2012, 01:11 AM
system linking, then playing Halo 3/Reach. Fact, all the good memories come from offline multilayer, all the rage/bad ones come from online.

Mizel
06-18-2012, 08:31 AM
I don't have a preference of online or offline. However, I do prefer playing both with people I know, vs playing with a bunch of strangers fo sho.

Yasdnil
10-11-2012, 03:38 AM
Multiplayer games are more fun for "instant action", but if I want to get immersed in a game I usually go with single player.

I agree. More intense games are better single player just to experience that sense of immersion and adsorption.

kyojinalex
10-11-2012, 08:46 AM
The instant gratification of online multiplayer is fantastic, but it comes at the cost of playing with undesirable people in many instances. I will always prefer offline multiplayer. Some of the best times I have ever had in gaming have been at lan parties with my friends playing starcraft and halo. Drinkin beer and eatin pizza. The online experience can't come close to that.

Mizel
10-11-2012, 08:50 AM
The instant gratification of online multiplayer is fantastic, but it comes at the cost of playing with undesirable people in many instances. I will always prefer offline multiplayer. Some of the best times I have ever had in gaming have been at lan parties with my friends playing starcraft and halo. Drinkin beer and eatin pizza. The online experience can't come close to that.
That's how i feel about it.... Because I somehow *always* get grouped with those undesirable people >_<

kyojinalex
10-11-2012, 09:27 AM
That's how i feel about it.... Because I somehow *always* get grouped with those undesirable people >_<

Thats the problem with online gaming becoming so popular. The more people you add to the online society, the more likely you are to run into jerks. Especially since people are more than willing to misbehave when they aren't playing with you in person.

Kenoi
10-11-2012, 03:42 PM
I like offline more than online. there's just too many good people out there... haha

paecmaker
10-11-2012, 04:31 PM
The problem with online is that you will often find yourself against all kinds of annoying people, screaming kids(no offence), hackers, noobs(not newbs, theres a difference), trolls and so on. Then you can try to join a clan or something. Sadly its not perfect as clans often want you to regurly play with them(and some are also pretty "l33t"(aka silly)), it might work if you game lots but not if you just play a game now and then.

Mizel
10-12-2012, 08:10 AM
I typically don't mind people in MP... if I can't hear them lol Like when I play TF2, I always turn the sound off so I don't have to hear b_tching and whining.

casydave
10-16-2012, 06:07 AM
I,m go with kinect games,some games like kinectimals or just dance series feel you like offline gaming,but i agree with you that Online is less hassle though lol.

Shrillmate
10-20-2012, 12:17 AM
online is way better man

Yasdnil
04-12-2013, 04:05 AM
This question is really interesting, and something I am currently doing some research on (specifically in relation to FIFA). The types of things being said here are pretty consistent with what I'm finding in my research, so that good! :-) There's hardly any research which looks at these aspects of gaming, even though they are really important and really quite influential to how we experience (and may be effected) by games. At some point, I have been considering doing a study which analyses the responses from Forum discussion (like this one) as a way of research gamers' accounts of gaming (obviously with the permission of the website and respondents). Do you think this would be a good way to research this topic?

sanistasia
04-12-2013, 06:48 PM
Sounds like a great way to gather data!

I never liked LAN parties, they're usually full of creepy guys who are friends of friends. I did love pwning my brother at XBox though, he's the embodiment of rage.

Yasdnil
04-15-2013, 07:22 AM
Sounds like a great way to gather data!

I never liked LAN parties, they're usually full of creepy guys who are friends of friends. I did love pwning my brother at XBox though, he's the embodiment of rage.

Cheers. I normally develop questionnaires with Survey software, but I would imagine that the responses on these types of forums would present a different dimension of responses, and could show interactions between members, which is something questionnaires can't access. It is worth a thought for my future studies I reckon!

r3dt@rget
04-15-2013, 09:37 PM
Playing with friends is always better than playing with strangers. Being there in person is also cool because you can brag and yell at each other. I prefer offline.

Chesterfields
04-23-2013, 06:17 PM
I like playing with my rl friends way more than online strangers, but the thing is that some of the strangers are really awesome players and way better to have on my team. Not that my friends are bad, its just that not all of them are amazing or willing to try to improve. Also I picked offline gaming in the poll, but I've been doing a lot more online gaming since starting college and having all my friends move to different places across the country.

SwirlyPie
04-25-2013, 06:41 PM
I believe the solution to that dilemma is to make new friends. Does your school have a gaming community or any clubs you would be interested in?

mmoraven
07-06-2013, 09:17 AM
I prefer online games, as I tend to feel comfortable around other players. I guess the social aspect plays an important role as well.
Also, PVP is always a good way to measure skill :)

StarworksArt
08-25-2013, 07:37 AM
I prefer online multilayer.

JukeboxRoxy
08-26-2013, 12:46 AM
Offline, not into playing versus online at all.

TheForbiddenPlanet
10-21-2013, 11:40 AM
I prefer offline multilayer if it's with a big group of people. Nothing like bringing 4 xbox 360's togother, system linking, then playing Halo 3/Reach. Fact, all the good memories come from offline multilayer, all the rage/bad ones come from online.

I really agree.