PDA

View Full Version : WII U release date announced

thedeparted
09-13-2012, 03:35 PM
11-18

Deluxe 32 gb is 350(includes, Stands, Includes NintendoLand + Deluxe Digital Promotion)

8 gb is 300

http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu?om_rid=AAM7wp&om_mid=_BQUf9$B8t5-vQz

CraeSC111
09-13-2012, 10:22 PM
That actually seems like a great price.

thedeparted
09-13-2012, 10:28 PM
yeah not bad price really. really wish the hdd were bigger though. 8 and 32 wont last long

CraeSC111
09-13-2012, 10:32 PM
How much space can the Wii really take up? :p

ZXDarknessfalls
09-14-2012, 12:21 AM
They also announced cross platform with Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, and from what I hear it isn't the only cross platform game they will have (the next super smash bros is supposed to also). I already wanted the system but things like that make me happy about my choice.

Jaykub
09-14-2012, 05:15 AM
Totally getting it!

LemonRising
09-14-2012, 02:44 PM
Idk, ever since n64 nintendo is just... not appealing to me.

EpsilonX
09-14-2012, 04:17 PM
I barely play my 360 and my Wii as it is...i might get the next sony console but otherwise i'm not too interested in next gen gaming

thedeparted
09-14-2012, 04:36 PM
im waiting for sony and microsoft to release details then i'll decide. if sony and microsoft can release a 250 gb console that is big leap or ver this gen for 399, 450. wii u is in trouble

Mordry
09-16-2012, 03:18 AM
yeah not bad price really. really wish the hdd were bigger though. 8 and 32 wont last long

Nintendo announced you're able to upgrade the Wii U to 3TB, you just need USB-Sticks or Hardrives you can connect over the USB Connection of the Wii U. Also you're able to use your SD Cards again.

Btw. I'm getting that, even now I don't know what to preorder first.

thedeparted
09-16-2012, 07:37 AM
Nintendo announced you're able to upgrade the Wii U to 3TB, you just need USB-Sticks or Hardrives you can connect over the USB Connection of the Wii U. Also you're able to use your SD Cards again.

Btw. I'm getting that, even now I don't know what to preorder first.

yeah but thats lame to me, you'll basically have to do it within 3 months.

Mordry
09-16-2012, 10:04 AM
yeah but thats lame to me, you'll basically have to do it within 3 months.

Why 3 months? Sorry I don't get that.^^
I mean you're always able to upgrade it so why 3 months?

thedeparted
09-16-2012, 10:47 AM
Why 3 months? Sorry I don't get that.^^
I mean you're always able to upgrade it so why 3 months?

Because i'll have it full within 3 months. Im not made of money so i wouldnt be able to afford to buy the console and a game and upgrade hdd all at once. Unless the saves arent that much and they dont have much on a wii u store.

Mordry
09-16-2012, 01:05 PM
Because i'll have it full within 3 months. Im not made of money so i wouldnt be able to afford to buy the console and a game and upgrade hdd all at once. Unless the saves arent that much and they dont have much on a wii u store.

Well the Wii had more than enough space for safegames. I have 50+ games for Wii and the 512MB are still not full so don't worry about that. :D
There is a huge problem anyway with the Wii and the 512MB and downloaded games, those will consume your safed memory like a black hole (especially huge data games like N64 games or WiiWare titles).

Downloadable games will be a problem yes but I recommend to put those on a harddrive at the very beginning, the Wii taught me that but that was because it was only 512 MB. Depends on how big the games will be but I'll be putting those on a harddrive since the very beginning (Nintendo offers to download straight to your SD Card/USB Stick/Harddrive) because then only the safegames will be stored on your console. It may be a problem, depending on the size and the ports of the games but that's a question for the future.

thedeparted
09-16-2012, 01:40 PM
i assume save files will be be bigger than wii

Mordry
09-16-2012, 02:28 PM
Not necessarily, if so they safe files would have gotten bigger since the gamecube at least with Nintendo games. Exactly the contrary happened: They became surprisingly smaller. For example:

Super Mario Sunshine (GameCube):
7 Blocks

Super Mario Galaxy 1 (Wii):
1 Block

Mario Party 6 (GameCube):
5 Blocks

Mario Party 9 (Wii):
1 Block

Now for some 3rd Party Titles:

Hitman 2 (GameCube):
59 Blocks

Manhunt 2 (Wii):
8 Blocks

Splinter Cell (GameCube):
17 Blocks

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles - Crystal Bearers (Wii):
4 Blocks

Sure there are exceptions but usually they got smaller, depending on the quality of the port and the Wii/GameCube-exclusivity. The Wii U will be no different in that case I suppose.
(Also 8GB are over 60k Blocks)

Slay
09-16-2012, 05:40 PM
I wish they made a revamp 64. Some ocarina of time with a new controller and system.
Sounds awesome. Plus with old tech like that, it would still be really cheap if they priced it fairly.

Not looking forward to any future Nintendo products, because there target lately seems to be for unfit moms or kids under 10. :P

thedeparted
09-16-2012, 05:57 PM
I wish they made a revamp 64. Some ocarina of time with a new controller and system.
Sounds awesome. Plus with old tech like that, it would still be really cheap if they priced it fairly.

Not looking forward to any future Nintendo products, because there target lately seems to be for unfit moms or kids under 10. :P

you want them to remake OOT again? on the 3DS wasnt enough?

CraeSC111
09-16-2012, 08:45 PM
Nintendo seems to have been pretty disappointing since the N64. I remember everyone had a SNES and a N64, but after that it was all PlayStation and Xbox. I think I have met three or four people that have had a GameCube and everyone I know that has a wii barely plays it.

thedeparted
09-16-2012, 09:32 PM
Wii had potential but 3rd party pretty much ignored it. Consumers dont like waiting for Nintendo to release their games every 6 months. Hardcore wants stuff to buy each month

ZXDarknessfalls
09-17-2012, 01:09 AM
The Wii U has a lot of support from the big names in gaming, that alone should tell you developers don't think this will turn out bad. With an exclusive Wii U game like Bayonetta 2 and ports of other great games like Batman and mass effect it's easy to see the support is there. The Wii U is also looking at appealing to core gamers much more than the Wii did so we can expect to see more good games that are meant for people who aren't 10 or out of shape moms. Will there still be games for them too? Probably, but that's just cause it makes sense to market games to people who will buy them.

I have went from nes, snes, n64, gc, to wii (not counting handhelds) and Never have I been let down. People who think the systems are bad either have a different taste in games than I (and many others) do or just choose to look over really great games on every system. I still have and play my gc games, in fact I still have more old gc games than I have games on my 360. And trust me that isn't from lack of buying games, Nintendo just does a good job of getting games out there that you want to keep and play over and over again, something I don't seem to find much of (opinion) on other consoles.

Mordry
09-17-2012, 07:28 AM

The hell you're talking about?
Nintendo DID release stuff on the Wii that was mature (Metroid Prime 3, Xenoblade Chronicles, Disaster: Day of Crisis) but the people who were targeted just ignored those games and claimed the same stupid nonsense as ever, despite the fact that I'm sick of ultra-extreme violence that dominated this generation. I'm sorry but I'm just frickin' pissed off when it comes to that, I needed to listen to that nonsense for 6 years now.

The N64 was a very good console but far from perfect, the Joystick was responsible for destroying my flesh on my hand. I repaired the Joystick by now but without, far from perfect.

Ocarina of Time 3D is a remake that is actually worthy of being called like that.

But I think it's obvious: I'm ****ing sick of that stupid prejudice.

jacketssale
09-25-2012, 04:12 AM
I really like your website , I learned a lot of knowledge

ZXDarknessfalls
10-02-2012, 04:44 PM
I am also really interested to see what developers use the screen for.. I can see a lot of applications to that.

TheGateKeeper
10-04-2012, 03:42 AM
Didn't know about this lol. I never expected the WII to go portable!

Mordry
10-04-2012, 03:45 AM
Didn't know about this lol. I never expected the WII to go portable!

The Wii doesn't go portable. It's just a wireless Controller with a Touchscreen and other features oh and btw. it's a next-gen console because the Wii U is the "Sequel" to the Wii.

TheGateKeeper
10-04-2012, 05:12 AM
The Wii doesn't go portable. It's just a wireless Controller with a Touchscreen and other features oh and btw. it's a next-gen console because the Wii U is the "Sequel" to the Wii.

Ah ok, I just gave the video a quick glance and thought it went portable.

Psychotray
10-04-2012, 09:03 AM
Portable Wii? How original....
Sony already made a PSP (Portable Playstation), it just seems like they're following other companies now.
Nothing beats the good ol' N64, despite it's imperfections it's what makes it perfect, sorry, I'm not hating, but the idea of making a console portable is cliche' nowadays.

Mordry
10-05-2012, 05:36 AM
Portable Wii? How original....
Sony already made a PSP (Portable Playstation), it just seems like they're following other companies now.
Nothing beats the good ol' N64, despite it's imperfections it's what makes it perfect, sorry, I'm not hating, but the idea of making a console portable is cliche' nowadays.

How many times will I write this to other people?

IT IS NOT A PORTABLE WII!

It's the sequel to the Wii and a next-gen console, not portable, not an Add-On or anything like that, a fully fleshed new home console.

The N64 is far from perfect but that's mainly the Joysticks fault and if you think that the Joystick makes this console "perfect" then, I beg you, please play Mario Party 1 on your original N64 Controller again, without gloves and without the replacement Joystick.

To your Sony argument:
The PlayStation Portable wasn't a system which was able to play PlayStation 1 or 2 games, it was a new handheld with it's own games. So the never actually unoriginal used Cliché of big companies putting their home consoles into handhelds is actually not an argument because it never happened. The GameBoy wasn't able to play games of home consoles (no matter what GameBoy), the PSP wasn't able to do it, the Game Gear wasn't able to do it, the Vita is certainly not able to do it and the DS is also not able to do it. The Handhelds from Atari weren't able to do it too.

So simply: Only Fans actually made handhelds which were able to play home console games, every big company didn't do it to this point and again: The Wii U is not a portable Wii, watch the full Video before you judge anything.

Oh and btw.: Since when is everything what Nintendo does need to be original?

Psychotray
10-05-2012, 07:40 AM

It's the sequel to the Wii and a next-gen console, not portable, not an Add-On or anything like that, a fully fleshed new home console.

The N64 is far from perfect but that's mainly the Joysticks fault and if you think that the Joystick makes this console "perfect" then, I beg you, please play Mario Party 1 on your original N64 Controller again, without gloves and without the replacement Joystick.

To your Sony argument:
The PlayStation Portable wasn't a system which was able to play PlayStation 1 or 2 games, it was a new handheld with it's own games. So the never actually unoriginal used Cliché of big companies putting their home consoles into handhelds is actually not an argument because it never happened. The GameBoy wasn't able to play games of home consoles (no matter what GameBoy), the PSP wasn't able to do it, the Game Gear wasn't able to do it, the Vita is certainly not able to do it and the DS is also not able to do it. The Handhelds from Atari weren't able to do it too.

So simply: Only Fans actually made handhelds which were able to play home console games, every big company didn't do it to this point and again: The Wii U is not a portable Wii, watch the full Video before you judge anything.

I'd rather have the Joystick of a N64 deteriorate my fingers then waste my money on a ''new'' console that'll basically be the same as the last one. This doesn't have to turn into some argument, it's MY opinion, MY thoughts, MY take on it.

Mordry
10-05-2012, 10:59 AM
I'd rather have the Joystick of a N64 deteriorate my fingers then waste my money on a ''new'' console that'll basically be the same as the last one. This doesn't have to turn into some argument, it's MY opinion, MY thoughts, MY take on it.

And I respect the opinion of other people but if they are argumenting with WRONG information then I think it's a little reason to be pissed, I needed to listen to stuff like that for almost 7 years constantly now.

ZXDarknessfalls
10-07-2012, 09:34 PM

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”
― Harlan Ellison

And just to point something out, the Wii U tablet isn't a portable system but more importantly where do you get off describing Nintendo as seeming to just copy others companies? Nintendo dominated the early handheld years with almost no one to fight them, and still continue to dominate it today. PSP (Playstation portable) is just Sony trying to get into the Nintendo handheld market. In other words Sony was trying to copy Nintendo with a handheld system.. Lastly do you not see how Nintendo is often the one changing things? They made the handheld market what it is, they got everyone into motion controls (being copied by Sony and Microsoft) and now after the news of their new tablet idea Microsoft is Already in development of something to mimic Nintendo's idea. Nintendo is one of the biggest innovators of the gaming market. Don't knock on a company you apparently don't know much about, and keep horribly informed opinions to yourself or you will just sound arrogant.

EpsilonX
10-08-2012, 12:52 AM
He must be trolling...for one, the only other system with something remotely like the Wii U is Dreamcast, with that screen on the controller idea...but instead of being a small display screen, but that is nowhere near the level of Wii U's controller. The controller interacts with the tv in ways that I've never seen before
Nintendo Wii U Trailer (E3 2011) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e3qaPg_keg)

watch the whole thing. the golf part especially impresses me. So i'm not sure how somebody can say it's the same as before, because it's obviously completely different. And no, it's not just a portable Wii. If you watch the video you'll understand

btw, Nintendo has been doing handhelds since long before playstation. It's called gameboy

http://www.cyberiapc.com/vgg/pics/nintendo_gameboy2.jpg

Trunks
10-08-2012, 10:13 AM

To your Sony argument:

The vita can play Console games, that's what it was made for. You can play the game on your ps3, save it, then start playing on your vita. Not saying Psychotray is right, because he isn't, but the vita does put console games on the handheld system.

Mordry
10-08-2012, 12:45 PM
The vita can play Console games, that's what it was made for. You can play the game on your ps3, save it, then start playing on your vita. Not saying Psychotray is right, because he isn't, but the vita does put console games on the handheld system.

Well as far as I know the Vita, in that case, is just an alternative Controller. The game itself is still on PS3 but I may be wrong because I don't have any personal experience with the crossplay between PS3 and PSVita. If you are right then I excuse myself for my mistake but still what I actually meant is a handheld which is able to play the actualy disc/cardridge of other games. For example that piece of fan-made technology: The XGC; Small Portable Gamecube Handheld - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGlvFrt0oqo&feature=relmfu)

Trunks
10-08-2012, 01:19 PM
Well as far as I know the Vita, in that case, is just an alternative Controller. The game itself is still on PS3 but I may be wrong because I don't have any personal experience with the crossplay between PS3 and PSVita. If you are right then I excuse myself for my mistake but still what I actually meant is a handheld which is able to play the actualy disc/cardridge of other games. For example that piece of fan-made technology: The XGC; Small Portable Gamecube Handheld - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGlvFrt0oqo&feature=relmfu)

It can also play handheld games like the psp, it's basically an upgraded PSP, better graphics, speed and everything with the option to continue playing your PS3 games on a handheld system. I believe you can start playing mid game, so if you have to leave then you can get your PS vita out and continue to play. The only downside to this is that you have to buy the game for both systems. So if you're playing Madden or something, you have to have Madden for the PS3 and for the PS vita. The only downfall of it, and why I wouldn't waste my money on it.

Well the handheld you posted doesn't play the disc or cartridge, they're just saved on the SD card. The PSP was able to play any retro games like the SNES or Sega. It is third party software, but it isn't exactly all that new. What most people didn't know is that the PSP was also able to play PS1 games. Again you had to have a ps3 though, you would put your PS1 game into your PS3, then using your PSP, you connect to your PS3 remotely and you can play any PS1 game on your PSP. You can also do it with third party software as well. I'm not sure if you could play PS2 games on a PSP, I do remember reading something about the PSX allows your to play PS2 games on your PSP, but it's very rare and very expensive, so it's not even worth it.

Mordry
10-08-2012, 01:35 PM
It can also play handheld games like the psp, it's basically an upgraded PSP, better graphics, speed and everything with the option to continue playing your PS3 games on a handheld system. I believe you can start playing mid game, so if you have to leave then you can get your PS vita out and continue to play. The only downside to this is that you have to buy the game for both systems. So if you're playing Madden or something, you have to have Madden for the PS3 and for the PS vita. The only downfall of it, and why I wouldn't waste my money on it.

Well the handheld you posted doesn't play the disc or cartridge, they're just saved on the SD card. The PSP was able to play any retro games like the SNES or Sega. It is third party software, but it isn't exactly all that new. What most people didn't know is that the PSP was also able to play PS1 games. Again you had to have a ps3 though, you would put your PS1 game into your PS3, then using your PSP, you connect to your PS3 remotely and you can play any PS1 game on your PSP. You can also do it with third party software as well. I'm not sure if you could play PS2 games on a PSP, I do remember reading something about the PSX allows your to play PS2 games on your PSP, but it's very rare and very expensive, so it's not even worth it.

Ah ok, but one thing: I linked the wrong video, sorry. Here is the one I meant from the same guy. Gamecube Portable 2 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBf4Cyfv-EI&feature=relmfu)

EpsilonX
10-08-2012, 03:32 PM

I know almost nothing about vita, so this is just speculation, but the ps3 has an option where instead of displaying on the tv, it displays on the ps3, and you can play -some- ps3 games as well as any ps1 game on the psp, but it still has to be within range of the ps3. I'm assuming the vita can do that too, but you can also do it with ps3 games? This is what the Wii U does.

Trunks
10-08-2012, 03:47 PM
I know almost nothing about vita, so this is just speculation, but the ps3 has an option where instead of displaying on the tv, it displays on the ps3, and you can play -some- ps3 games as well as any ps1 game on the psp, but it still has to be within range of the ps3. I'm assuming the vita can do that too, but you can also do it with ps3 games? This is what the Wii U does.

The way PS Vita remote play works is that it connects through, Wi Fi, so if you don't care that you keep your console running, you can play virtually anywhere that has internet. And it is supposed to work for every PS3 game, that was the main purpose of the Vita. Again to play from the PS Vita through internet you do have to have the game for both the PS3 and PS Vita. I'm not sure if you need the game on the PS Vita if you're not connecting through the internet. Like if you're just near the PS3 like you would have to be for the PSP. I don't personally own a PS vita either, but a few of my friends have one and this is what I was told.

Mordry
10-08-2012, 05:19 PM

Well the Wii U does a little bit more than that, the Wii U actually can interact with other signals and the environment. For example the golf thing you saw in the video, the Wii U Controller recieves the signal of the Wii Remote and then calculate the position, speed and angle of your Golf Hit. That's just one thing, another example are certain action figures which you can scan with your controller. In Rayman Legends there are these certain action figures, yet known there are the Rabbids Action figure (tons of Rabbids will appear in the game then also all enemys turn into Rabbids) and the Ezio Action Figure, what it does is unknown.

So basicly the Wii U is the next Step in one Part of Motion Technology. The other Part would be "no Controller" which Microsoft uses with Kinect.

Btw. the Controller actually can control the TV, of course optinal. Not a necessary Feature but it's a nice Gimmick.

EpsilonX
10-09-2012, 01:12 AM
Well the Wii U does a little bit more than that, the Wii U actually can interact with other signals and the environment. For example the golf thing you saw in the video, the Wii U Controller recieves the signal of the Wii Remote and then calculate the position, speed and angle of your Golf Hit. That's just one thing, another example are certain action figures which you can scan with your controller. In Rayman Legends there are these certain action figures, yet known there are the Rabbids Action figure (tons of Rabbids will appear in the game then also all enemys turn into Rabbids) and the Ezio Action Figure, what it does is unknown.

So basicly the Wii U is the next Step in one Part of Motion Technology. The other Part would be "no Controller" which Microsoft uses with Kinect.

Btw. the Controller actually can control the TV, of course optinal. Not a necessary Feature but it's a nice Gimmick.

err, I know it does more than what i said, i was just saying it doesn't make ur wii u portable, it just lets you play it on the controller's screen instead of the tv screen.

Again to play from the PS Vita through internet you do have to have the game for both the PS3 and PS Vita. I'm not sure if you need the game on the PS Vita if you're not connecting through the internet. Like if you're just near the PS3 like you would have to be for the PSP. I don't personally own a PS vita either, but a few of my friends have one and this is what I was told.

wait, what do you mean you have to have it for both ps3 and psvita?

Trunks
10-09-2012, 06:18 AM
wait, what do you mean you have to have it for both ps3 and psvita?

I just asked my friend, he said that to do remote play through the internet you just need the game for the PS3. If you don't want to do remote play through the internet, Like say you have to leave your house for some reason and you're in the middle of a game. You're probably not going to have internet driving around, but if you have the same game for your PS Vita you can link your PS Vita to your PS3 and it'll upload the progress and you'll be able to play right where you left off. After your current progress uploads to your handheld, you can turn off your PS3 and it's just your handheld.

That's how he explained it to me, hope that made sense lol. I tried looking stuff up about it to confirm, but the internet doesn't really say anything about how it works.

Mizel
10-09-2012, 08:33 AM
Idk, ever since n64 nintendo is just... not appealing to me.

That's how I feel. WiiU is just a glorified Wii... and the Wii, well... sucked lol Plus only ONE person gets the cool controller! -__-

Shrillmate
10-20-2012, 12:23 AM
when is release date?

ROFLBRYCE
10-25-2012, 03:55 PM
That's how I feel. WiiU is just a glorified Wii... and the Wii, well... sucked lol Plus only ONE person gets the cool controller! -__-
As far as I know at the moment, they aren't even selling the cool gamepad controller seperate from the console, so dunno what you do when it breaks! I work at a movie store and we were doing orders, it was the first thing I noticed :(

when is release date?
November 18, 2012!

Also, I dunno if it's just Canada or what, but noticed the prices in original post are different from what they are now.

White plain-jane console, 4GB, one cool big controller, $250.

Black super console, 32GB, one cool big controller, charging cradle for controller, NintendoLand game, $350.

So stoked to pick mine up.

Mordry
10-26-2012, 06:22 AM
As far as I know at the moment, they aren't even selling the cool gamepad controller seperate from the console, so dunno what you do when it breaks! I work at a movie store and we were doing orders, it was the first thing I noticed :(

Nintendo announced that they will repair the Controller if it breakes (but so far no Nintendo product ever broke, not as far as I have seen anyway) and they will sell the Touchscreen Controller as soon as the first Multiplayer games get released which will feature Multiplayer with 2 Touchscreens (and maybe 4 Wii Remotes).
The reason for this is:
The Wii U production costs are high, Nintendo makes a loss with every console. So it would be a waste of money to offer a second Controller for Touchscreen Multiplayer if they aren't any games out there supporting it (YET).