PDA

View Full Version : Ouya to launch to retailers in June

thedeparted
02-05-2013, 09:13 AM
http://i.imgur.com/lH4axXk.jpg

Missed your chance to back the Ouya on Kickstarter? Fret not — in a recent interview the The Wall Street Journal, CEO Julie Uhrman confirmed that the much-anticipated Android games console will arrive at retailers nationwide this June. The company has struck deals with Target, Amazon, GameStop, Best Buy, and others to carry the system, which will be priced at $99.99. While the system comes bundled with a controller, the company will also be offering additional controllers separately for $50.

The Android-based system remains one of the most successful Kickstarter projects to date, having raised over $8.5 million. Those that backed the system originally will receive their systems first in March, followed by early pre-order customers in April and the public debut in June.

Over 200 Ouya-compatible titles are currently in the works, including Minecraft, ShadowGun, and others. Developers shared their experiences with the development kit hardware last week, calling the system underpowered but promising.

Online pre-sales for the June launch for Ouya are expected to begin Tuesday, February 5th.

100 bucks for the console, 50 for game controller. Suppose to play Android games and such, so it'll be different from general consoles. I wonder how well this will sell. I have a feeling beyond the internet nerds that got them nearly 10 million in kickstarter money that the general public will not really give a hoot.

Trunks
02-05-2013, 09:34 AM
I may actually get this. This is the first I heard about it, I just think it's cool it's not part of the big 3. Back in the 1990's you always heard of thee weird consoles that were released. I'm ready for something different, and for 100 dollars you can't go wrong.

thedeparted
02-05-2013, 09:43 AM
You didnt hear about the kickstarter? I thought like everyone heard about its kickstarter. Seemed like people were talking about it a lot well not here cause nothing gets talking about. But yeah they wanted something like a million to launch this and so many nerds donated it got 8.5 million.

CraeSC111
02-05-2013, 09:49 AM
Doesn't actually seem that interesting to me. It'll get snuffed out by the big console companies

thedeparted
02-05-2013, 09:58 AM
It isnt meant to compete head to head vs. the top 3. It was made for a niche market. If it only cost less than 10 million to get idea to the market, Im sure it can hold its head around for a bit in some fasion. The top 3 spend upwards of a billion to get a new console out.

Trunks
02-05-2013, 10:02 AM
Yeah, definitely grabbing this. Going to see if I can find more info on the games. This reminds me of the all the other weird consoles, going to see if I can find more info on the games coming out for it.

Mizel
02-05-2013, 11:00 AM
Wait..... Android games? So it's essentially a console for smart phone games??

BlackEyedJester
02-05-2013, 11:30 AM
I heard about this a while back, I didn't think they'd actually get the money for it..

ROFLBRYCE
02-05-2013, 11:34 AM
Wait..... Android games? So it's essentially a console for smart phone games??

I imagine it'd be a lot better though. There's a TON of games I wish had good controller compatibility instead of a touch screen. If it's all someone plays, this is gonna be a lifesaver.

thedeparted
02-05-2013, 11:35 AM
I heard about this a while back, I didn't think they'd actually get the money for it..

Most were shocked how much over their initial goal they went

BlackEyedJester
02-05-2013, 11:41 AM
The last I heard, they were saying they had a prototype, but didn't show any games on it. However if it does work and is good, I might buy it, I mean, hell it's only 100$

thedeparted
02-05-2013, 11:44 AM
People that payed for kickstarter level to get a console will be getting theres very shortly

BlackEyedJester
02-05-2013, 11:48 AM
I'll start keeping a look out for some reviews then :)

Mizel
02-05-2013, 01:48 PM
I have not once ever played a game on my phone that was good enough that I'd want a console for it OR that kept my attention span for more than a couple weeks at MOST... Nooooo thank you. Not for me. I'll stick to real consoles and real games :P

Trunks
02-05-2013, 05:52 PM
Finally got a chance to do some research on the thing.

Specifications:

Tegra3 quad-core processor
1GB RAM
8GB of internal flash storage
HDMI connection to the TV, with support for up to 1080p HD
WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth LE 4.0
USB 2.0 (one)
Wireless controller with standard controls (two analog sticks, d-pad, eight action buttons, a system button), a touchpad
Android 4.0
ETHERNET! (Announced by Muffi 7/18)

1 gig of memory, wow lol. Pretty low, definitely changes my mind a little. That means some really low quality games. the Iphone 5 has 1 gig. The only upside is the Tegra 3, definitely a really nice processor. At the moment it's considered a break through in technology. I suppose if the games run heavy off the processor then it wouldn't be so bad.

thedeparted
02-05-2013, 06:00 PM
Looking over the Kickstarter, 56k will be receiving(or should lol) the console next month.

CraeSC111
02-05-2013, 06:31 PM
Well its meaning to play android games. Not seeing why it would need lots of memory :p

Trunks
02-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Well if you would read anything, the system is supposed to be capable of running a step up from current android games in the market. Considering that most of the new phones released this year have 1gig, it's not a step up.

Mizel
02-06-2013, 07:42 AM
Well if you would read anything, the system is supposed to be capable of running a step up from current android games in the market. Considering that most of the new phones released this year have 1gig, it's not a step up.

What exactly is a "step up" from current Android games in the market? Because that to me just says games on the next gen of phones.... meaning, that it basically is only a system for phone games regardless of if they are a "step up" from current ones? Either way, def sounds like a giant waste of money if you already pay for a phone...

Trunks
02-06-2013, 07:49 AM
I guess I don't know what a step up is supposed to be really, because this was not what I was expecting when I scrolled down and read the specifications.

Mizel
02-06-2013, 07:51 AM
Hmmm... I'll have to do some research. I'm interested to know what that means exactly lol

egg-whites333
02-06-2013, 08:23 AM
it definately seems intresting, but I dont think I will get it, only because my phone has enough.

thedeparted
02-06-2013, 09:06 AM
I guess I don't know what a step up is supposed to be really, because this was not what I was expecting when I scrolled down and read the specifications.

Sounds like you got too hyped up by pr talk

Trunks
02-06-2013, 11:27 AM
Sounds like you got too hyped up by pr talk

haha sure did, no longer getting, my Iphone has the same specs as the console basically. No thanks.

thedeparted
02-06-2013, 11:40 AM
I bet if this thing sells decently a Ouya 2 is out shortly(as in 1-2 years)

egg-whites333
02-06-2013, 02:45 PM
Now with 1.5 GB of ram! :D