PDA

View Full Version : New desktop build

Knibbler
04-25-2013, 11:14 PM
Hey guys, it's been some time.
I'm looking to start a new computer build. It'll be my first one so I'm probably not entirely sure of what I'm doing lol.
The budget ive set myself ive set myself is roughly £1000 ($1500) over the next 2-3 months, the plan is to have all the componants and have the desktop built in time for my birthday in August. I've been doing a bit of looking around and think ive got a starting point. I'm wanting to have something built that's going to be future proof well into the upcoming next gen.

Here's what I've been looking at so far:

Motherboard - ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 Socket AM3+ 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
Processor - AMD FX-8350 4GHz Socket AM3+ 16MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor
Memory - G.Skill 16GB DDR3 1866MHz RipjawsX Memory
PSU - Corsair Gaming Series 2013 Edition, 700 Watt, 80+ Bronze, ATX
Cooling - Corsair Hydro Series H100i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
- Noctua NF-F12PWM Case Fan 120 mm
Graphics card - Sapphire HD 7950 BOOST 3GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card
Storage - primary - Kingston 120GB SSDNow V300 SSD
Secondary - Seagate 2TB Barracuda Internal Hard Drive
Case - CM Storm Trooper Case

Total cost of this build comes in at around £1100

Now I think that's all I need to get me started, obviously being new to this I could be wrong and/or have some incompatible parts listed. If you see anything that needs adding or adjusting please let me know, could use all the advice I can get :)

Ziek88
04-25-2013, 11:34 PM
From a quick look it seems pretty solid. Statistically speaking you should be in really good shape. One thing to consider is look up your motherboard through the manufacturer and make sure it lists your CPU as a compatible processor. Sometimes even though they have the same socket they aren't necessarily compatible. Seen this become an issue in the past. Rare but something to consider. Also, don't look while I steal your video card after you get it....

Knibbler
04-25-2013, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the advice, just checked the compatibility list and so long as the bios version is greater than 1006 ill be fine otherwise I'll jjust need to update the bios. Lol it won't just be me keeping an eye on the system :)

Trunks
04-26-2013, 02:19 PM
I did a quick look as well, everything seems fine. Pretty solid computer for 1,100.

Knibbler
04-26-2013, 03:08 PM
Cheers Trunks, considering this is my first build concept, I'm pretty proud of myself lol.
I was wondering though, would I be able to install both Win8 and 98/xp on the SSD drive so I can run the older favourites as well?

LiNuX
04-26-2013, 08:57 PM
Very nice build. I have the FX-4100 which is a quad core AMD Processor and it runs like a bulldozer (reference to the core name).

I still see issues with SSDs now, I just bought a regular old terabyte drive myself a few days ago for my old pc which will be my new home server. Other than this, your build looks awesome.

And you can dual/triple/quadruple boot any way you like. But since you can only run one OS at a time, I generally use Windows Virtual Machine (or another free alternative is VirtualBox) to run XP. At work I use Virtual Box to run Linux. I currently dual boot my machine with XP and win7 but takes too long to switch between the two so I use Windows XP mode to get what I want.

Trunks
04-26-2013, 09:43 PM
I don't know a lot about SSD, but when I was building my pc during christmas I was looking into it a little bit. I found a lot of people said that SSD running operating systems doesn't run very smooth. Couldn't tell you why, but I just read that in a few different places. Just something to keep in mind.

Ziek88
04-26-2013, 10:12 PM
I don't know a lot about SSD, but when I was building my pc during christmas I was looking into it a little bit. I found a lot of people said that SSD running operating systems doesn't run very smooth. Couldn't tell you why, but I just read that in a few different places. Just something to keep in mind.

I actually just spent last summer installing SSD drives in about 600 computers. What you heard is pretty accurate. They pretty much behave like a USB flash drive. They work great when they work but sometimes they just stop working for no reason and they also have some BIOS compatibility issues from time to time. Personally I don't think they are worth their money yet unless you are putting them in a laptop. A desktop is stationary enough odds are it won't be a problem. Nothing like finishing 600 hardware upgrades to find out you also have to do 600 BIOS flashes haha.

Knibbler
04-27-2013, 03:45 PM
I've had a member of staff at working bragging at how good SSD is and how I should get one, I only put one in the build list because of the 'super quick' startup that this guy was telling me about though it would not really bother me too much so I might just replace it with 500GB HDD.
As for dual screens, I may stick with one just while I'm setting things up or pick up a cheap second monitor just so i can get everything setup exactly how I want it from the get go.

LiNuX
04-27-2013, 03:53 PM
A 500gb hdd would be a lot better and a less of a risk of failure. It's true that it's faster but I don't think it's worth it, it's not that much faster and if you're just a little patient, it doesn't even matter.

Knibbler
04-27-2013, 04:12 PM
That's my current thoughts exactly. I've got no problem waiting a few extra seconds for the system to boot up.
Something that's been bothering me, but not sure what I'm looking for, is whether this is all going to fit in the case I've chosen :\

EDIT :: so I've changed out the SSD for a 500Gb HDD. Also added a BD Optical Drive so I can actually play a couple games I got already got.

LiNuX
04-27-2013, 06:08 PM
Isn't that case a full tower? I think you'll be fine, those things have a lot of room. All my computers are mid towers and I have just as much junk in them.

Knibbler
04-28-2013, 09:41 AM
Yeah, full tower. Hopefully I can start buying some bits towards it this month.

Ziek88
04-28-2013, 09:15 PM
If you save up to buy it all in one shot rather than piece at a time by the time you're ready to order the full system new technology will be out and the stuff you currently want will cost less.

LiNuX
04-28-2013, 09:22 PM
If you save up to buy it all in one shot rather than piece at a time by the time you're ready to order the full system new technology will be out and the stuff you currently want will cost less.

I always buy piece by piece when it's my own machine. I wait for sales and get the parts I can test first (like I have a PSU tester and an HDD reader).

I think it's a good way to save money and it always works for me. But you have to do it in a reasonable time period, the longest span I've gone collecting parts is 3 months for my machine 5 years ago. Black Friday Sale, Christmas Sale, and then I think valentine's day sale or President's Day sale. But I built it in February, started collecting parts at the end of November.

Knibbler
04-29-2013, 01:22 AM
Yeah, my plan was to get it piece by piece, simply because I'm shocking when it comes to saving for something and I would like to have to system fully assembled by beginning of August.
The reason I've set this target is because I've spent the last year and a half saying I'm going to build my own PC but instead of saving for it I've dipped into the money and spent near enough every penny. Doing it this way and actually buying the pieces each month means I'm not going to have the money there to spend of other which would hinder the progress of the build.