PDA

View Full Version : Gamevox Server

ROFLBRYCE
03-01-2014, 11:24 AM
Hey everyone! So I started using a new voice program called Gamevox (https://www.gamevox.com/en/). Think mumble but you can customize it a little better, add friends, and connect to specific servers. Iwent and made a server so feel free to connect. There's currently only a 6 person limit, as it's a free server, but if there's enough use/interest I've got no problem with paying to up it to 30 people.

Just sign up and click this link (https://www.gamevox.com/STX3-479) to add the server to your client's list :)

I'll be on this server pretty much whenever I'm on the computer so yeah, just figured it'd be handy to jump into other games with each other and see what everyone's doing!

Ziek88
03-02-2014, 08:32 AM
Have you noticed anything about how much bandwidth it seems to use? I know some people have issues with chat clients like skype because they can be taxing on weaker networks. From what I'm seeing, it seems a lot like Ventrilo only with a free version.

Second Question: How's the voice transmission seem to work when using voice activity. I've tried a few things like this but they all seem to require push to talk and my friends are not a fan. Some have the passive sound pickup but they often don't work very well.

Good find by the way. At a first glance it seems like a fairly easy to use clean service.

ROFLBRYCE
03-02-2014, 07:32 PM
Have you noticed anything about how much bandwidth it seems to use? I know some people have issues with chat clients like skype because they can be taxing on weaker networks. From what I'm seeing, it seems a lot like Ventrilo only with a free version.

Second Question: How's the voice transmission seem to work when using voice activity. I've tried a few things like this but they all seem to require push to talk and my friends are not a fan. Some have the passive sound pickup but they often don't work very well.

Good find by the way. At a first glance it seems like a fairly easy to use clean service.

The company hosts the servers. It's not bandwidth heavy imo, and I find it's a little less than Skype. You can also adjust audio quality higher and lower to use more or less bandwidth respectively.

Voice transmission is great. You can use PushToTalk, or you can just use freechat similar to Skype. Easy to adjust "dead noise" zone and when you're talking it won't pick the extra up.

It's very simple to use, and works great. I've used Skype, TS, Ventrilo, Mumble, etc, and this is by far the easiest/cleanest/most customizable voice client in my opinion.

Ziek88
03-03-2014, 09:31 AM
Looks good. I'm hoping to test it out with a friend. The fact that they give you a 6 person freebie server is kindof awesome. I've always liked the lightweightness of vent but never willing to pay since the freechat never works right on it. I might actually consider increasing a server once i've testing this and if I like it.

ROFLBRYCE
03-03-2014, 11:30 AM
Yeah it's pretty neat. I might swap that server info out when I get home later today, turns out my brother is paying for the 50 member limit...for him and a dozen of his friends. He gave the okay to use his instead for forum members.

Ziek88
03-12-2014, 06:39 AM
I've recently noticed some issues where gamevox decides my mic doesn't exist. I just tried out raidcall though. It's basically gamevox only smaller, easier to use and 100% free. No limitations that I've found thus far and you can create your own server with no member limits. Has push to talk and free talk modes. Haven't gotten to test the voice quality yet though.