PDA

View Full Version : France declares war on piracy

jakncoke
06-18-2008, 09:05 PM
Anyone who persists in illicit downloading of music or films will be barred from broadband access under a controversial new law that makes France a pioneer in combating internet piracy.

“There is no reason that the internet should be a lawless zone,” President Sarkozy told his Cabinet yesterday as it endorsed the “three-strikes-and-you’re-out” scheme that from next January will hit illegal downloaders where it hurts.

Under a cross-industry agreement, internet service providers (ISPs) must cut off access for up to a year for third-time offenders.
France's anti-piracy law is unworkable

Using heavy-handed tactics with ISPs is only latest in a line of tactics to defeat online piracy - and it won't work

In a classical French approach the scheme will be enforced by a new £15 million a year state agency, to be called Hadopi (high authority for copyright protection and dissemination of works on the internet).

The law has strong backing from Mr Sarkozy, who has taken a close interest in artists’ rights since marrying Carla Bruni, a model and folk singer. However, it has run into opposition from a range of bodies including the state data protection agency, consumer and civil liberties groups and the European Parliament. Big web companies, including Google, and Dailymotion, the video-sharing firm, refused to sign up to the 40-member industry accord last November.

Mocking the scheme yesterday Libération newspaper gave warning that families could be stripped of their internet and broadband telephone and television if a neighbour’s teenager uses their wireless router to load his iPod.

Christine Albanel, the Culture Minister, who is responsible for the creation- and-internet law, said that it will replace criminal action with dissuasion. “It takes a preventive and educational approach,” she said. Over the past two years French courts have convicted 300 people for piracy, most of them professionals and none of them minors. The prosecutions have had little impact on the sales of a recording industry in steep decline.

Under the accord, the entertainment industry will also drop existing copyright protection on French material so that music or videos bought legally online can be played on any sort of device. The industry has hailed the French scheme as a model for the EU, which is losing hundreds of millions of pounds a year to illicit sharing of films and music. “This is the most important initiative to help win the war on online piracy that we have seen,” John Kennedy, head of the IFPI, the worldwide recording industry body, said.

France to ban illegal downloaders from using the internet under three-strikes rule - Times Online (http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article4165519.ece)

be it this or ISP's in USA capping bandwidth....all I got to say is booo

conman1000
06-19-2008, 09:35 AM
it won't work, their just trying to make a headline.

Trunks
06-19-2008, 02:06 PM
Is this "new" law only supposed to take place in France?

LiNuX
06-21-2008, 01:09 PM
the internet always has ways around so i doubt they will get too far with it, and even the article said it wont work lol

ISPs in USA can't cap bandwidth for everything because businesses won't allow that, they need a lot of bandwidth - like my servers at home, i know i'll be yelling if i hear time warner limited me and my bw

i say boox2

nemesis
06-24-2008, 07:29 AM
i dont think any one goverment can bring law to the web, it would take a global agency and they would be fighting over the colour of the toilet paper years before they decided to do anything about downloads it. no one goverment can do it and they will never work together they all know best lol

Raw!
07-07-2008, 10:04 PM
Haha. Like that will stop anything.

Piracy has always been around, we just can't help it.

It's like this guys, if you're given two options, one, go buy a new DVD for 30 bucks, or go download it for free from the internet. Of course you're going to choose to download it for free.

France should realise that it isn't going to help anything. I thought they were supposed to be smart.

LiNuX
07-07-2008, 10:20 PM
Haha. Like that will stop anything.

Piracy has always been around, we just can't help it.

It's like this guys, if you're given two options, one, go buy a new DVD for 30 bucks, or go download it for free from the internet. Of course you're going to choose to download it for free.

France should realise that it isn't going to help anything. I thought they were supposed to be smart.

lol this type of piracy is actually new compared to the other piracy you may be confusing it with

pirates like pirates of the Caribbean are other types of pirates whereas pirates these days just take things illegally without permission of any kind

LemonRising
07-08-2008, 03:01 AM
"Mocking the scheme yesterday Libération newspaper gave warning that families could be stripped of their internet and broadband telephone and television if a neighbour’s teenager uses their wireless router to load his iPod."

That's a VERY good point XD
I don't like the idea.
And I don't think putting laws on the internet is a thing France should be worrying about right now :\
Let's keep other things in priority, why don't we?

Plus, Censorship is sooo 1914.

Scott
07-09-2008, 11:32 AM
Lol at first I thought, if that happened here I'd be doomed because I download uh stuff.... But then I realised. If they did stop my internet it wouldn't matter since it's not mine anyway. Oh and I prefer to buy the DVD than download. When you download you never know how good or bad it'll look and sound. All of the 5 pirate DVD's I was given all sucked, 2 had no sound 1 never had an ending and the others ending had sound but no picture.

Eric
07-09-2008, 01:44 PM
Gonna be funny to see how this one goes