PDA

View Full Version : Future Protection

MasterCate
08-17-2008, 12:41 AM
I am buying a XPS 1730 laptop with the Core 2 Duo Extreme at 2.8g, 4 gigs of ram, and a dual 8800m GTX graphics set up. How long will this computer last before it starts going obsolete. Further, since there is already the 9000 series and the new 200 series from Nvidia, will the 1G I get from the SLI let me play games, like Crysis, on high settings for a long time?

LiNuX
08-17-2008, 12:53 AM
i don't recommend laptops for gaming because it tends to get hot and when parts get hot, they burn off unless you have an awesome cooling system. And as for the Graphics card, that's Nvidia 8800 gtx?

and as for how long it could last, it could be a year or two because computer technology is advancing very quickly - 2 years ago, dual core was the thing, and like a year ago the quad core came out and soon we can expect the 8 core processor -and that sli card you are talking about should be fine, i dont know the crysis requirements though - i've only played the game on a foreign pc - never on my own

and your post is like all over the place lol

MasterCate
08-17-2008, 01:27 AM
Yeah normally I wouldn't get a laptop either but I'm starting college in a week and I'm putting down for this laptop. I just hope that the specs will be good enough to last me for a long while. I got that Ageis PhysX thing in there to, if that makes a difference.

LiNuX
08-17-2008, 01:33 AM
Yeah normally I wouldn't get a laptop either but I'm starting college in a week and I'm putting down for this laptop. I just hope that the specs will be good enough to last me for a long while. I got that Ageis PhysX thing in there to, if that makes a difference.

yeah it'll last you a pretty while - i am not a huge fan of dell though, they use cheap parts and over price you for them lol, i start up classes in a week and a half - i have a lenovo laptop with 1 gig ram and a core 2 duo 2.2 ghz cpu - i dont use it for gaming :) i live at home so i have my desktop for gaming thankfully

MasterCate
08-17-2008, 01:40 AM
yeah sad thing for me is my desktop can't run Crysis period cuz the CPU is too slow. Has a 512mb gpu and 3 gigs of ram but a 1.86 core 2 duo just won't cut it. It's a real step up for me.

LiNuX
08-17-2008, 01:46 AM
yeah sad thing for me is my desktop can't run Crysis period cuz the CPU is too slow. Has a 512mb gpu and 3 gigs of ram but a 1.86 core 2 duo just won't cut it. It's a real step up for me.

lol - you should get a custom built computer - costs less than most brand name ones these days - i built my own pc - cost me about a $1000 in parts back in January - i built it it february - pretty powerful

cpu is AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ 2.8 ghz dual core processor - 4 gigs ram, 256 mb Video memory in GeForce 8600GT XXX vid card. Runs great with a 650 watt psu and an awesome case lol - uploaded pics here: My PC Pics (finally) - Gamers Forum (http://www.gamers-forum.com/showthread.php?t=5905)

well my point is - custom >>>>> premade because you don't over pay for the parts - at dell, trying to upgrade your hard drive from lets say a 160 gb to a 200 gb will cost you like an extra $50 which is ridiculous cuz you can get an EXTRA 200 gb for around $60 at some places - $10 more, yeah, but its 160+250

laptops are different - you can buy them premade but laptops aren't good for gaming and they aren't built to last as long as desktops - my first HP desktop lasted like 8 years before frying, my old toshiba laptop lasted 2 years before frying lol

MasterCate
08-17-2008, 01:50 AM
well I'm probably gonna fry it within a semester. I have lots of demanding games and plenty more are coming. Course I'll probably be playing a lot of 360 anyway.