PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid in Dubai to house 1,000,000

Scott
08-27-2008, 08:14 AM
http://www.inhabitat.com/wp-content/uploads/timezig2.jpg
http://www.inhabitat.com/wp-content/uploads/timezig1.jpg

The Mayans and Egyptians constructed incredible feats of architecture able to weather the test of time, but they had no idea their pyramids would inspire the shape of the latest carbon-neutral super-structure to hit Dubai. Dubai-based environmental design firm Timelinks recently released some eye-catching renderings of the gigantic eco pyramid - aptly named Ziggurat - with plans for its official unveiling scheduled for the Cityscape Dubai event which runs October 6-9 of this year. The ginormous pyramid will cover 2.3 square kilometers and will be able to sustain a “community” of up to 1 million.

Timelinks claims that their Ziggurat will be capable of running completely off the grid by utilizing steam, wind, and other natural resources. The tightly knit city will also feature a super efficient public transportation system that runs both horizontally and vertically, and plans are being drawn up to utilize both public and private green spaces for agricultural opportunities.

According to the International Institute for the Urban Environment, the technologies incorporated into the Ziggurat project will make it a viable metropolis, and Timlinks has responded by quickly patenting the design and technology developed for the project. A number of European professors will be on hand at CityScape Dubai to explain how the Ziggurat project can be incorporated into grander plans, meaning that it may not be a one-off structure.

Link (http://www.inhabitat.com/2008/08/25/ziggurat-dubai-carbon-neutral-pyramid-will-house-1-million/)

The traffic will be bad in that place since it only has four roads coming out of it.

rukisuto
08-27-2008, 08:58 AM
That's so awesome.
You're probably right about the traffic though.
There will probably be a tourism spike there.

LiNuX
08-27-2008, 09:38 AM
looks cool but its like 1/8 of NYC living in there at the same time....that may get hectic lol

TeknoVagrant
08-27-2008, 09:45 AM
The traffic will be bad in that place since it only has four roads coming out of it.
I'm sure the traffic will be smoother than any road you have ever been on. But the first picture, and the second picture look like two different buildings...

Scott
08-27-2008, 09:47 AM
I'm sure the traffic will be smoother than any road you have ever been on. But the first picture, and the second picture look like two different buildings...

they're exactly the same, except one is green

jakncoke
08-27-2008, 12:33 PM
Dubai is freaking awesome and amazes me the structures that are built in a relatively short time, I wish I could find the pics I posted on this site before that shows what Dubai looked like 1990 vs. 2006(IIRC it was 06' possible 07' or 05') In 1990 Dubai looked like a regular town and now it's a metropolitan area with tons of skyscrapers and the worlds tallest building

MissLEGENDARY
08-27-2008, 12:50 PM
nice building. Not sure I'd wanna live there though.

jakncoke
08-27-2008, 01:03 PM
lol, imagine if one of the main sewage pipes broke.